Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Depending on the car they could also be thrown backwards from the rear wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

That bloody car ad on the radio for some kind of hybrid jalopy:
    "I drive my three kids to school every day knowing that I am making a real difference to their future"

...I mean, where to even start....

I've been annoyed by this ad for months, but now I've finally cracked.

I can't even express...

I don't even...

I can't go on without making some kind of anguished howling noise that I can't spell on the keyboard, so you'll just have to imagine it.

:mad:

check_six wrote: »
    "I drive my three kids to school every day knowing that I am making a real difference to their future"

I can't even express...

I don't even...

I can't go on without making some kind of anguished howling noise that I can't spell on the keyboard, so you'll just have to imagine it.

Whats a radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Thud

I can't even express...

I don't even...

"it's price of a holiday"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

279AE65800000578-3040673-Obese_From_left_Yogita_five_Harsh_18_months_and_Anisha_three_wei-a-51_1429131823121.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    It was an M5 but the wear wore a hole 10mm in diameter, so I think I will have to put in a M6 riv nut as any of the ones I see are 9mm in diameter, M8s look took wide. The other option is to epoxy a washer in place and put in a a M5 riv nut again but i am unsure how long tat resin would hold up. Any advice is welcome.

When I say rivnut I mean something like this: Riv Nut
    Right, that is what I would call a rivet nut too. All the M6 ones I have ever used are for a 9mm hole too. I think it would be quite hard to compress an M6 without a tool, I use airguns and a hand tool, M4 is easy, M6 takes loads of force. I have bodge jobbed a M4 and it was hard enough.

My M8s appear to go in an 11mm hole. We actually deform the holes, so it is a round hole with a square shape, this means when the rivet bulges out and deforms it goes into the notches and means it would be very hard for it to turn. With smaller ones we just use a square and let it deform to that shape. So if you have a worn hole I would not try and make it nice & round, if anything you would try and make it more jagged.

I have had zero success with gluing nuts in place, I have tried all sorts, the tensile strength was huge, i.e. loosely putting in a screw/bolt and pulling it out, however the moment it is tightened to any degree they just sheared off. If you did go the washer route you could put superglue on the screw threads and only loosely tighten it. Thread sealant might work but it is meant to be tightly screwed for it to work properly (anerobic cure).

I have gotten things called a jack nut/jacknut, these allow for a small thread size in a large hole. So you could possibly get a M5 in a 10mm hole

Steel-Blind-Jack-Nut-Zinc-1-4-20x071-_1.jpg

Aluminium rivet nuts will be far easier to compress than stainless, also if anything goes wrong drilling out aluminium is a breeze, stainless is a horrible job.

I will try an M6 in a 10mm hole and see what it is like.

It was an M5 but the wear wore a hole 10mm in diameter,
    I did the M6 in a 10mm hole and it is pretty good, the compressed part squeezes out to 12.4mm. It did spin when using a spanner on it, but took a fair bit of force, the tool could be ajdusted to compress more.

If you are near me I could do them for you, will send a PM.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My M8s appear to go in an 11mm hole. We actually deform the holes, so it is a round hole with a square shape, this means when the rivet bulges out and deforms it goes into the notches and means it would be very hard for it to turn. With smaller ones we just use a square and let it deform to that shape. So if you have a worn hole I would not try and make it nice & round, if anything you would try and make it more jagged.
    The hole is perfectly round at the minute as the face (flange) of the Riv nut wore the aluminium away so its 10mm in diameter in a near perfect circle.
    I have had zero success with gluing nuts in place, I have tried all sorts, the tensile strength was huge, i.e. loosely putting in a screw/bolt and pulling it out, however the moment it is tightened to any degree they just sheared off. If you did go the washer route you could put superglue on the screw threads and only loosely tighten it. Thread sealant might work but it is meant to be tightly screwed for it to work properly (anerobic cure).
    I was actually thinking of putting a washer on and then a Riv nut into it but your right, the force to compress it would rip off the washer anyway so I am dropping that idea. Even if it didn't everytime I over tighten the bolt it would potentially rip off.
    I have gotten things called a jack nut/jacknut, these allow for a small thread size in a large hole. So you could possibly get a M5 in a 10mm hole

Steel-Blind-Jack-Nut-Zinc-1-4-20x071-_1.jpg
    I like this one, would want to measure it just right but this maybe the next option. The jack nut, shouldn't damage the alu while i install it and should be doable with what I have at home right now, or, and you can call me stupid, a rubber rub nut.

I like this one, would want to measure it just right but this maybe the next option.
    It would want to be concentric. So if the jacknut flange is 13mm diameter you can find a washer or something 13mm or more and draw a circle on the frame, then make sure that drawn circle is concentric with the hole in the frame. Now when you put the jacknut in you have a visible reference circle so can align the jacknut properly before tightening.

It seems that it’s not just those of us that cycle on the road that get these “I wonder what the cycling fraternity think of this bad thing I saw one person do” type queries. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057951414/1/#post109288584

• Advertisement

It seems that it’s not just those of us that cycle on the road that get these “I wonder what the cycling fraternity think of this bad thing I saw one person do” type queries. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057951414/1/#post109288584

That was not the point in that thread from my reading, the OP was annoyed they ended up on a MTB trail , having entered a Coillte forest on a walk with signs saying no MTB and then found themselves on a MTB trail followed by some not so smart arsery in responses to the OP.

IMO the OP wasn't posting there because “I wonder what the cycling fraternity think of this bad thing I saw one person do” rather why was there a trail there when the sign said no MTB, but the responses did a good job in reinforcing to the OP that the "cycling fraternity" are great guys altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

That was not the point in that thread from my reading, the OP was annoyed they ended up on a MTB trail , having entered a Coillte forest on a walk with signs saying no MTB and then found themselves on a MTB trail followed by some not so smart arsery in responses to the OP.

IMO the OP wasn't posting there because “I wonder what the cycling fraternity think of this bad thing I saw one person do” rather why was there a trail there when the sign said no MTB, but the responses did a good job in reinforcing to the OP that the "cycling fraternity" are great guys altogether.

"Just wanted to know what the general mountain bikers attitude to this is."
    That's a comment from the OP in the thread

At the time of my post there wasn't really any smart replies and as the quote Peter T provided below....regardless of the replies it's exactly as I said.
    Peter T wrote: »
    "Just wanted to know what the general mountain bikers attitude to this is."
    That's a comment from the OP in the thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bit of a weird one, the irish times carrying 'sponsored content' which touts the benefits of single occupancy of vehicles. one in a series of five.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/everyday-adventures/everyday-adventures-with-rachel-allen-i-treasure-long-drives-on-my-own-1.3761517

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

bit of a weird one, the irish times carrying 'sponsored content' which touts the benefits of single occupancy of vehicles. one in a series of five.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/everyday-adventures/everyday-adventures-with-rachel-allen-i-treasure-long-drives-on-my-own-1.3761517

christ, stopped myself clicking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

That's not really what it is though. It's not suggesting kicking your passengers out on the daily commute & making them drive cars too, it's pushing the merits of a drive for drivings sake (It's a car manufacturer) which someone might do once a month. We really can't banish any hobby that isn't zero emissions.

Every random online or in store purchase cyclists make get manufactured abroad, shipped to Ireland & delivered by DPD in a big diesel van, so where's the line?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

To be honest, I'd say a lot of people are glad she drives on her own. She's a complete dose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, of course it's not saying 'dump your passengers out', but it is explicitly promoting the idea of driving on your own.
    just seems weirdly at odds with the recent push for car manufacturers to push their green creds as much as possible.

and yes, getting something delivered to your house has a cost in diesel, but the disco manages about 1KG of CO2 for every 4km travelled.
    it's my tree hugger coming out, but i do have an issue with a car manufacturer pushing such a use of a car which is known to be inefficient in fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm not cycling to work at the minute, just can't risk injury at this stage of training and where I live gets a good bit of ice so I take the Luas/walk.

A buddy had to drive into the City this morning so I took a lift, it took an hour to get from Blackhorse to Leeson St. Bridge but looking at all the traffic going against us it was mostly single occupancy.

I also think Taxis should not be allowed to use Bus Lanes given most are also 1 passenger plus driver.

for the canal cordon count, the assumed average occupancy of private cars is 1.2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

oh, of course it's not saying 'dump your passengers out', but it is explicitly promoting the idea of driving on your own.
    just seems weirdly at odds with the recent push for car manufacturers to push their green creds as much as possible.

and yes, getting something delivered to your house has a cost in diesel, but the disco manages about 1KG of CO2 for every 4km travelled.
    it's my tree hugger coming out, but i do have an issue with a car manufacturer pushing such a use of a car which is known to be inefficient in fuel consumption.

Cards on the table I'm a car enthusiast & I commute by bike so I'm on both sides of the fence.

I used to commute in my high co2 emitting performance car every day from Foxrock to North inner city - for about 5 years. Now I cycle & just use the car on the weekends, half for spirited drives up the mountains & half for shopping etc. So in my eyes, while I'm emitting co2 "wastefully" my footprint is still a lot better now.

However, none of the above is really the concern of a car manufacturer who wants to sell a car as more than just a means to go from a to b, they want to sell it as an experience. They've built the Disco, they're not going to lock it away as it's not good for the environment.

for the canal cordon count, the assumed average occupancy of private cars is 1.2.

That is madness. The flipside is though, public transport is already bursting at the seams. The Luas is overcrowded every day, to dangerous levels, 3 or 4 times a week there are 'medical emergencies' on board, it's hard to think this isn't down to folk getting into trouble in the cramped conditions.

Not everybody can cycle either

i remember reading that an analysis of cars on the quays (this was about 15 years ago, though) showed an average occupancy of 1.16; but i suspect as you get further out from the centre, the occupancy will increase as you hit roads used for the school run - i can't imagine many people using the quays for that.

i'm lucky where i live - four different bus routes pass the house, and we're on one of the main corridors planned for bus connects, and due to have a metro station very close by too, but i could be dead and buried by the time that happens.

i remember reading that an analysis of cars on the quays (this was about 15 years ago, though) showed an average occupancy of 1.16; but i suspect as you get further out from the centre, the occupancy will increase as you hit roads used for the school run - i can't imagine many people using the quays for that.

i'm lucky where i live - four different bus routes pass the house, and we're on one of the main corridors planned for bus connects, and due to have a metro station very close by too, but i could be dead and buried by the time that happens.

Lol... Metro

Lol... Metro

I see An Bord Pleanala stopped a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists getting built as it may interfere with the Dart Underground. Makes as much sense as stopping me ringing my bike bell as they will have to many wings and not enough angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is all I see... guess the ad-blockers are doing their work! :D

471805.png

hope you turn off ad blockers for trusted sites, they are killing off media, as they dont make a cent when blockers are on

manafana wrote: »
    hope you turn off ad blockers for trusted sites, they are killing off media, as they dont make a cent when blockers are on

I never use ad blockers as it really doesn't bother me that much, I never click on them.

I never use ad blockers as it really doesn't bother me that much, I never click on them.

bigger sites will get cash just for page views (hence some click baiting) others need the click.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

manafana wrote: »

I pay for my news. :)

Advertisement