Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

only since 1997, fact fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

only since 1997, fact fans.

Prior to that they could but needed to have a fare on board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

that's a weird one. why not?

Woopee, TD found driving in Bus Lane. :rolleyes: Meh, there are worse things they could do. Pick your battles with the TD's cos IMO this ain't one of them. It became bigger "news" when he gave a sh!tty excuse.

In other news, Kim Kardashian picked her nose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hmm. yes, 'person using bus lane who should not be there' is not earth shattering news. i guess i don't agree that the response 'as a result, i don't mind said person using the bus lane' is a logical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i guess i don't agree that the response 'as a result, i don't mind said person using the bus lane' is a logical one.
    +1

the first post
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    I don't mind TD's using the bus lane.
    sounded like you thought it was a good thing, or at least benign, like they should be entitled to use it like working taxi drivers or emergency services are. People clogging bus lanes is not benign, buses being slowed down is one of the reasons people refuse to use them, and adds to more traffic if they go by car instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

rubadub wrote: »
    +1

sounded like you thought it was a good thing, or at least benign, like they should be entitled to use it like working taxi drivers or emergency services are. People clogging bus lanes is not benign, buses being slowed down is one of the reasons people refuse to use them, and adds to more traffic if they go by car instead.

I didn't say it was a good thing, I just think it's much ado about nothing. The particular character in question rubs people up the wrong way and maybe this added fuel to the meagre fire.

Personally I would have no problem with elected officials of Dail Eireann using the bus lane. I wouldn't encourage it but I would get a bee in my bonnet about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I didn't say it was a good thing, I just think it's much ado about nothing. The particular character in question rubs people up the wrong way and maybe this added fuel to the meagre fire.

Personally I would have no problem with elected officials of Dail Eireann using the bus lane. I wouldn't encourage it but I would get a bee in my bonnet about it.

I get a bee in my bonnet about it, unless it is emergency state business that their is an urgency outside of the norm, then no, they should not be using it, the same way I shouldn't use it in my car, or my neighbour Dave shouldn't use, or anyone bar Buses and cyclists. He was going to work, he should have left early but like most pricks in the bus lane, he had an justified sense of entitlement. This will be justified by both his statements and the fact that despite admitting it, the gardai won't send him a fine.

a friend of mine used to work in the west link toll booths back when they were manned. was considered a really good job back then if you were in your late teens/early 20s.
    anyway, on two occasions he had to deal with TDs who assumed they didn't have to pay the tolls because, well, they were TDs and shouldn't TDs be allowed get through the tolls without paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/lord-mayor-of-dublin-raises-1m-to-halt-repossession-of-his-home-1.3786907
    Lord Mayor of Dublin Nial Ring has managed to prevent the repossession of his home after raising more than €1 million to pay off debts he owes Bank Of Ireland Mortgage Bank, the Circuit Civil Court has heard.

...the extent of the new funds and where and how they had been raised could not be divulged on the basis it may breach data protection legislation.

I'd love to know where I could get a million euro in a hurry.

is 'data prevention' seriously going to be an excuse we'll see now in journalism?
    does this country not have a long and storied history of politicians somehow stumbling across funds without adequate explanation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

buffalo wrote: »
    I'd love to know where I could get a million euro in a hurry.
    I'd hate to have to pay off a million in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

is 'data prevention' seriously going to be an excuse we'll see now in journalism?
    does this country not have a long and storied history of politicians somehow stumbling across funds without adequate explanation?

Data protection. Not prevention (not your typo I know)

The GDPR specifically identities public interest (as in for the greater good. Not just widespread curiosity) as a lawful basis to share information.

It will be an interesting test of the new Data protection commission when someone challenges this sort of questionable claim.

Data protection. Not prevention (not your typo I know)
    looks like it was, i got the phrase garbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

We're like those pics you see comparing electrification in North and South Korea:

5qzctzwm9df21.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... he had to deal with TDs who assumed they didn't have to pay the tolls because, well, they were TDs and shouldn't TDs be allowed get through the tolls without paying?
    They'd get it back in their travel expenses anyway I presume as mere mortals like myself do.

Thargor wrote: »
    We're like those pics you see comparing electrification in North and South Korea:

I was thinking one of those movie infographics showing the early spread of a disease through the major infrastructure hubs. First rule of a zombie apocalypse, grab a good bike, never runs out of fuel.

HUGE THANKS to Rubadub today. Absolute gent and the bike frame and bottle cage are as good as new again. Spent ages trying to figure a way around the issues and he solved it in two minutes.

Also now know who the guy pulling away from me on the N11 in the morning is, not sure if that makes it better or worse:pac:

For those of you who want to tell your partners a white lie on Valentine's day

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    Absolute gent and the bike frame and bottle cage are as good as new again.
    glad to help! I hate the thoughts of anyone getting tools & packs of small parts that will probably only be used once.

For those of you who want to tell your partners a white lie on Valentine's day

As a ICVA member once said to me, I love my partner as much as my bike, this will be true until the day I die. The only real difference between the two is that
    I'll only be riding one of them when I am 84 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

To quote Twitter: "something something high viz".

https://twitter.com/DashCamTwats/status/1095020421446025217

Dublin City to ban cycling on another city centre street
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/02/11/dublin-city-to-ban-cycling-on-another-city-centre-street/

i don't really see much fuss here. they're pedestrianising the area. it's like grafton street, and i see little benefit in specifically allowing people to cycle along it during the same hours as deliveries are allowed.

I walk Grafton St. most mornings and the amount of twats absolutely tearing up and down it on bikes is beyond the joke.

Like, I've nearly dropped my chai skinny decaf latte so many times jumping out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I walk Grafton St. most mornings and the amount of twats absolutely tearing up and down it on bikes is beyond the joke.

Like, I've nearly dropped my chai skinny decaf latte so many times jumping out of the way.

tragic

Should have thrown it in their face :pac:

Only messing, obviously, those things cost a bomb considering how awful they taste and smell

Eamonnator wrote: »
    tragic

:cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dublin City to ban cycling on another city centre street
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/02/11/dublin-city-to-ban-cycling-on-another-city-centre-street/

i don't really see much fuss here. they're pedestrianising the area. it's like grafton street, and i see little benefit in specifically allowing people to cycle along it during the same hours as deliveries are allowed.

why ban cycling unless there's a good reason? There's a good reason on Grafton and Henry Streets: they have extremely heavy pedestrian traffic. I don't think that's likely to be the case on either Liffey or Suffolk Streets.

They could easily stick a 2 way cycle lane up the middle of both and some bike parking, it wouldn't detract from the overall aim of the schemes. Making shopping areas less permeable to cyclists is not a positive development IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

issue here is that no cycling option was planned as part of luas then they are taking this one quiet street away now too, if cyclists had proper route planned out you'd see alot less doing the grafton st rat race

manafana wrote: »
    issue here is that no cycling option was planned as part of luas then they are taking this one quiet street away now too, if cyclists had proper route planned out you'd see alot less doing the grafton st rat race

I was only taking the pee but I cycle from O'Connell St. to Leeson St area and back regularly on a Dublin Bike, using Grafton St wouldn't enter my head, Kildare St. and Dawson St. are perfectly adequate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I was only taking the pee but I cycle from O'Connell St. to Leeson St area and back regularly on a Dublin Bike, using Grafton St wouldn't enter my head, Kildare St. and Dawson St. are perfectly adequate

dawson st is horrible with mix of luas and no planning for cyclists, kildare st is mixed bag and quiet heavy with traffic now bit more of detour also, a contra flow south of trinity would have worked to connect that piece, and a contra flow up the likes of south william st, instead of the ample on street parking we see their

Advertisement