Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Sure you don't need to win the Lotto to do that, my brother in law hit the five 'stans, Russia and Mongolia in a €1000 Nissan Micra!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had a conversation with a colleague at lunch, who doesn't drive, about his 145 driver going nuts about a cyclist using the Loughlinstown roundabout, coming from Shankill this morning. My colleague was completely unaware there was no requirement to use cycle lanes - fair enough, he doesn't drive (so I'm ambivalent about that), but a bus driver ffs!

I had to explain how using the cyclepath effectively means stopping at 4 extra sets of lights, compared to just using the roundabout and about 100m of road before the roundabout, and a couple of hundred metres after until you turn in at Jim Rock. And how I take the bus lane and use the roundabout every morning I cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Had a conversation with a colleague at lunch, who doesn't drive, about his 145 driver going nuts about a cyclist using the Loughlinstown roundabout, coming from Shankill this morning. My colleague was completely unaware there was no requirement to use cycle lanes - fair enough, he doesn't drive (so I'm ambivalent about that), but a bus driver ffs!

I had to explain how using the cyclepath effectively means stopping at 4 extra sets of lights, compared to just using the roundabout and about 100m of road before the roundabout, and a couple of hundred metres after until you turn in at Jim Rock. And how I take the bus lane and use the roundabout every morning I cycle.

For a minute I was like, f*ck, was that me, but there are no buses on my camera. Buses typically have to pull in 200m before the roundabout and 50m after the roundabout, it is a rare day a cyclist inhibits their progression in any way.
    I generally find the 145 drivers quite good, although occasionally, typically the ones wearing Hi Vis go a bit stupid, I presume they are drivers waiting on call and not typically on the route?

if anyone here was tonight's jammy bastard, you are hereby obliged to fund the ras. and the velodrome. that is all.

I'd have to give most of it away anonymously, it would ruin my life. I wouldn't tell anyone, a small trust fund for the kids, who could never be told as it would ruin them worse than it would ruin me. Probably buy a fancy e bike and have a crack at getting up to A2 The rest too good causes and maybe hold enough back to match my current annual salary for life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nah, what you do is find a stranger and pay them €2m or €5m, for them to pretend they were the winner. then they get to deal with the begging letters, grasping distant relatives, kidnap threats, etc.

• Advertisement

nah, what you do is find a stranger and pay them €2m or €5m, for them to pretend they were the winner. then they get to deal with the begging letters, grasping distant relatives, kidnap threats, etc.

They'd squander it and then bribe you. Probably have to have them killed in the long run :eek:

I would be tempted to pay Jack Nicholson to come over and reenact that scene from Batman, without the death obviously, on O'Connell St or Ballymahon St. Longford for pure stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    For a minute I was like, f*ck, was that me, but there are no buses on my camera. Buses typically have to pull in 200m before the roundabout and 50m after the roundabout, it is a rare day a cyclist inhibits their progression in any way.
    I generally find the 145 drivers quite good, although occasionally, typically the ones wearing Hi Vis go a bit stupid, I presume they are drivers waiting on call and not typically on the route?
    I agree. I was a surprised myself as I generally find Dublin bus fine, and on the N11 in particular (as far I go, which is UCD). They'll often give way/ stay behind when they could probably be arsey and overtake and then pull in to a stop (like an aircoach would do), and often hold the doors until I'm past the bus stop when I'm in the shared space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    They'd squander it and then bribe you. Probably have to have them killed in the long run :eek:

I would be tempted to pay Jack Nicholson to come over and reenact that scene from Batman, without the death obviously, on O'Connell St or Ballymahon St. Longford for pure stupidity.

Going by my usual habits I’d probably get through the whole lot of it in a weekend.

I would give most of it to various causes, no kids yet for me so I’d probably scoot off and follow the F1 circuit for a season and enjoy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I agree. I was a surprised myself as I generally find Dublin bus fine, and on the N11 in particular (as far I go, which is UCD). They'll often give way/ stay behind when they could probably be arsey and overtake and then pull in to a stop (like an aircoach would do), and often hold the doors until I'm past the bus stop when I'm in the shared space.

Its like any company with that many drivers, you get bad eggs, anyone have exp with the new private bus routes? research iv read in UK & elsewhere suggested changing to private managed buses caused more close passes etc because of the performance metrics and loose hiring practice

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

manafana wrote: »
    Its like any company with that many drivers, you get bad eggs, anyone have exp with the new private bus routes? research iv read in UK & elsewhere suggested changing to private managed buses caused more close passes etc because of the performance metrics and loose hiring practice

GoAhead have been perfect in my experience to date. On the 75 before they took over DB loved to run reds.

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »

I found the 45A has been good Drivers were obviously given strict warnings. Good observation, clearly cautious around vunerable road users, driving slower when passing volumes of kids on the pavement, when overtaking cyclists etc. One made a mistake, slammed on the brakes and held his hands up. It was great. Hopefully it continues and is not just a starting out attitude.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've taken the 17A a few times since go ahead took over. Not many, but a few. First week, the driving was a bit sketchy to be honest. Don't recall a bus hitting so many kerbs or ramps at such speed. But since then, no further issues.

Watching the tonight show, woman for the hauliers association moaning about young drivers in rural Ireland not being able to drive now on a Sunday morning now among other scutter like not having to be accompanied after 12 hours of lessons. Makes her previous cycling v pedestrian comments look tame. Half wit is being generous here

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've taken the 17A a few times since go ahead took over. Not many, but a few. First week, the driving was a bit sketchy to be honest. Don't recall a bus hitting so many kerbs or ramps at such speed. But since then, no further issues.
    Every driver I have ever heard on those style buses has issues with them at the start. Go over to C+T and they all admit to curbing it a few times. Several of the models have poor designs in regards the edging etc. As well as several inset stops having poor design with the raised curb but no long way in so you have to swing the front end in to the curb until you give up trying to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Was walking down Fade street in town yesterday evening, about 7 bikes had their wheels absolutely smashed. You'd think in a place with that much footfall you'd be safe enough. I always leave mine in Drury street while I'm in that area - hopeful that wouldn't happen in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be the sort of thing known to someone here - a steel de rosa being used for the school run has been found in D8:

https://twitter.com/davidfwall/status/1098879256095088640

they didn't qiute get the response they wanted, methinks.

https://twitter.com/LandRover_UK/status/1098258434414264320

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Was walking down Fade street in town yesterday evening, about 7 bikes had their wheels absolutely smashed. You'd think in a place with that much footfall you'd be safe enough. I always leave mine in Drury street while I'm in that area - hopeful that wouldn't happen in there.

Now you mention it, I realise there are a lot of bashed up bikes locked to poles and stands. I assumed one had been hit by a car that messed up a corner, but there are a lot of pubs there, so people leaving pubs do sometimes vandalise stuff, especially bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wonder if there's anyone here who has it in their car and what their experiences are? I would have assumed it 'recognised' cyclists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

We have it in our car( the wife’s car really) If you use your indicators like you are supposed to it doesn’t intervene. And it only kicks in at higher speeds (open road speeds)

I think it only monitors the white line and if you are drifting over it. Not sure if it does collision avoidance ( don’t really want to test that)

My Dad had it in a rental a few years ago and it would be beep and vibrate the steering wheel if you crossed the line. My mother thought it was hilarious because he kept apologizing to the car

as one of the replies in that thread posits:
    This functionality is largely intended to aid the texting-while-driving crowd.

On my cycle today, I noticed for the first time ever this Folly at Snowtown. In the many, many times I've cycled that road, I don't recall ever seeing it before. Not sure how I could ever have missed it

102321173.jpg

Not my picture

http://ie.geoview.info/composite_folly,102321173p

i don't think i've seen it either. which side/how did you spot it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Tour of Rwanda staring tomorrow. Would love to go cycle touring over there.

http://www.tourdurwanda.rw/

This guy won it last year. Nice video.

i don't think i've seen it either. which side/how did you spot it?

If you take a left on the top of snowtown ( cycling away from Naul) it's a few hundred metres up the road but a bit before Fourknocks

ah, near that 'modern country house' which has been on sale for yonks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    On my cycle today, I noticed for the first time ever this Folly at Snowtown. In the many, many times I've cycled that road, I don't recall ever seeing it before. Not sure how I could ever have missed it.....
    Jesus, I've never noticed it either and have been up there numerous times. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just watching a bit of the UAE tour, there must be all of two dozen spectators at the start and finish.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement