Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

VW 1 wrote: »
    Saw that myself, huge amount of them go along there and down along the canal as well.

Seems crazy to me to be taking them, they're helping the issues not adding to them.

if only they acted this quickly on vehicle violations. electric scooter thing sounds mostly like witch hunt, their are restrictions which if your under they have no case to take it from you

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

manafana wrote: »
    if only they acted this quickly on vehicle violations. electric scooter thing sounds mostly like witch hunt, their are restrictions which if your under they have no case to take it from you

Not to derail the flamme but thats wrong.

The exceptions apply to bicycles and tricycles, not scooters or onewheels.

ED E wrote: »
    Not to derail the flamme but thats wrong.

The exceptions apply to bicycles and tricycles, not scooters or onewheels.

looks like its not covered under law really from 2nd reading, sums up our attitudes here instead of ensuring they arnt used on footpaths and regulating them, we get the most gardai acton ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Eamonnator wrote: »
    But if are supposed to be taxed, insured etc., surely it's only right that they should be confiscated, the same as any other uninsured, untaxed, unregistered M.P.V.

The caveat being that they cant be taxed, insured or registered. So its chicken and egg really, or else a case of the gardai using common sense and leaving it be until there is specific legislation, they are no more dangerous than a push bike, so why persecute people?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Compounding scooters is madness. They're a huge, and increasing solution to gridlock.
    They should be supported, the current actions are madness, aside from the resources spent on the current response :rolleyes:
    I'd even think about getting one myself for when I can't pedal:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm about to buy one, I think they're an excellent invention and could see myself using one daily. On the other hand, slightly put off recently watching guards stop users around the city centre and at the very least having a chat, if not seizing the scoots entirely.

Would be very pissed off if I'd shelled out 400 beans on a nice e-scoot and some flunky impounded it. Sooner a brave TD can take some proactive view on this the better and get a temporary amnesty in place the better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was down in one of the LBSes chatting to a (very friendly) chap there about wheels, he even brought out his own bike to show me the wheels he was recommending (good enough that he bought a pair himself).
    i was somewhat bemused though that he runs 25s at 135psi, they were as hard as a rock, he didn't seem to quite believe me that i run 25s at 80-85psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

was down in one of the LBSes chatting to a (very friendly) chap there about wheels, he even brought out his own bike to show me the wheels he was recommending (good enough that he bought a pair himself).
    i was somewhat bemused though that he runs 25s at 135psi, they were as hard as a rock, he didn't seem to quite believe me that i run 25s at 80-85psi.

Vitoria Corsa g+ recommend 135 psi on the rear for people my weight on 25s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW, i had not heard of the wheelset before - it's a new budget campy set called calima. they look decent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Would be very pissed off if I'd shelled out 400 beans on a nice e-scoot and some flunky impounded it. Sooner a brave TD can take some proactive view on this the better and get a temporary amnesty in place the better.

If they are seized its for no insurance.

No insurance carries a €5000 max fine.
    No insurance makes insuring your car very very expensive.

€400 is the least of your worries.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If they are seized its for no insurance.

No insurance carries a €5000 max fine.
    No insurance makes insuring your car very very expensive.

€400 is the least of your worries.

BUT YOU CAN'T INSURE THEM, and they arnt a 2 tonne metal box either, no one on them wants to crash, they should be regulated not banned

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

FWIW, i had not heard of the wheelset before - it's a new budget campy set called calima. they look decent anyway.

Are they not just a new name for Khamsins?

possibly, but they seem to be about 70% of the price of the khamsins, from a quick google.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

manafana wrote: »
    BUT YOU CAN'T INSURE THEM, and they arnt a 2 tonne metal box either, no one on them wants to crash, they should be regulated not banned
    Once they're speed-limited to 25km/h, maybe 20km/h given the high centre of gravity and small wheels, I think they're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I know that they are illegal but the guards are going for low hanging fruit rather than focusing on the estimated 150k uninsured drivers, light breaking and all the dangerous driving, etc, that goes on in full view of them in cities as they sit at the lights themselves.

Piece on the Naked Bike Ride being held in Cork later in the year there on the late late. Good on them, I wouldn't be at all hung up about my body but don't think I'd have the nerve to do it :o

was listening to this earlier; 'how to cycle really fast' from bbc's more or less radio show.
    basically a piece about air resistance for the casual listener.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06f8xmb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Amstel Gold, some finish to a bike race. Make sure to get a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Best finish ever! The women's race was a cracker as well.

Just wow!!!!!
    The guy drove that group like a freight train for ages then opened up his sprint. His win on Wednesday was great but this is a whole other level.

I was on my feet roaring at the TV there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

FFS stop posting f*cking spoliers.

Fine, I ought to stay off the internet if I want to avoid results but yis are taking the piss here.

Raam wrote: »
    Fine, I ought to stay off the internet if I want to avoid results but yis are taking the piss here.

Sorry Raam thought I'd tagged that :(

Sorry Raam thought I'd tagged that :(

You owe me money now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Raam wrote: »
    You owe me money now!

We have to review your excuse for not watching it live first :D:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

We have to review your excuse for not watching it live first :D:D
    The bike comes first (especially on a day like today).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Wow, just seen the highlights. Amazing finish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone having issues with Garmin Connect? Ride won't sync from device even though phones registers as connected.

Sorted, took an hour to sync fpr some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

What race finished in Blessington yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What race finished in Blessington yesterday?
    Gorey.

Advertisement