Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Nee, have you ever tried a semi-recumbent? I'm told that recumbents and semi-recumbents are powered by the stomach and back muscles (I think it is) rather than the leg muscles.

I would have thought recumbents and semi recumbents engaged the leg muscles more as the seating braces the body so would be more akin to the leg press in a gym but without as much strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council have increased the height for posters on cycle lanes. Be sure to hound the scumbags publicly on twitter ignoring these safety instructions, bonus points if they have some tweet claiming to give a damn about safety or the environment or anything to make them really stand out as hypocritical scum. One prick has ones which are blocking out traffic lights, and plenty jutting out into cycletracks. Check your own local CC for their rules.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/election_posters_dlr.pdf

There should be a minimum clearance of 2.5 metres (8ft) from the lower edge of any poster to ground level on footpaths and 3.2metres (10ft) on cycle lanes and no posters should be placed higher than 6.5 metres (20ft) from the ground.

Met a fella in Tesco there earlier said hello to me, long time no see you're up here these days are ya and asked how I was and I half recognised him but still couldn't place him. Turned out to be a guy I used to meet on my morning commute when we were living in Dublin. We worked in the same business park and would often shoot the breeze if we met each other en route. He's lived 5 minutes from me for the last 3 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I half recognised him but still couldn't place him

That's what happens when you see a fellow cyclist without the helmet. I have this with Wishbone Ash every single time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rubadub wrote: »
    Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county council have increased the height for posters on cycle lanes. Be sure to hound the scumbags publicly on twitter ignoring these safety instructions, bonus points if they have some tweet claiming to give a damn about safety or the environment or anything to make them really stand out as hypocritical scum. One prick has ones which are blocking out traffic lights, and plenty jutting out into cycletracks.

Don't hold back now... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cygnets should be getting hatched in the next few weeks, so they would be very protective of their nests at this time of year.

At first glance I read that as 'Cyclists should be hatching...'

I know some people think we are a breed apart but I wasn't aware how much...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just a corollary to the thread about climbs in south county dublin - what are the steepest climbs on the northside? howth/snowtown are the two i'd be most familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

just a corollary to the thread about climbs in south county dublin - what are the steepest climbs on the northside? howth/snowtown are the two i'd be most familiar with.

Bellewstown. Although that is in Meath.
    Ardgillan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i've been around bellewstown a bit more recently, ongenstown was a little shorter than i expected, but nice and steep.
    ardgillan is one i've not been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Man O' War is a nice climb. Not too steep though. Nag's Head is a bit steeper.

You could probably get those two and Ardgillan (from the coast road) into the one spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

silverharp wrote: »
    funnily enough i was clocked in the face a few times by large bugs on the way down.

looking at the map, is it worth skipping Enniskerry and cut up through glencullen instead?

Yes, that's the Devil's Elbow, steep down and up, but a nice quiet road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Tim Hartford's excellent series "50 Things that made the Modern Economy" dealt with the bicycle today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csz2w6

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

- what are the steepest climbs on the northside? howth/snowtown are the two i'd be most familiar with.
    Knockmaroon and Ballyglass Rd I say.

North County is fairly limited steepness wise. Ducky Rooney's Lane and Ardgillan are 2 that come to mind.

(Snowtown is in Co Meath).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Knockmaroon and Ballyglass Rd I say.

North County is fairly limited steepness wise. Ducky Rooney's Lane and Ardgillan are 2 that come to mind.

(Snowtown is in Co Meath).

Somerton road is steep enough too near knockmaroon

For steepness, the right hand side of the fork at the church in howth is probably up there too. Not that long though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Went mtbing for the first time this morning in Ticknock.
    It was awesome.

I need another new bike now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

nee wrote: »
    Went mtbing for the first time this morning in Ticknock.
    It was awesome.

I need another new bike now

Going over to the dark side???

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Going over to the dark side???

Yep, it's fun! Yet another dark side for me :D

Gonna go way more now, if the climb up to Ticknock from Sandyford doesn't kill me :pac:

Bike shopping in a while, the rental bike in biking.ie was great to my completely inexperienced eye. We had the full gamut of wheel sizes there today - me on the 27.5 rental bike, one friend on a single speed 29er (he's a beast) and another on a V braked 26 (also a beast). Fun times!

Tell Niall, in biking.ie, that I was asking for him.
    He's a gent.

Tell Niall, in biking.ie, that I was asking for him.
    He's a gent.

I will!

• Advertisement

For steepness, the right hand side of the fork at the church in howth is probably up there too. Not that long though
    That's the one I referred to earlier but I erroneously referred to it as Ballyglass Road instead of Balglass Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's the one I referred to earlier but I erroneously referred to it as Ballyglass Road instead of Balglass Road.

Balkill Road?

Anyone any idea what's cycling related down this Co. Meath lane? https://goo.gl/maps/iRs6DK8ch3Fm2adAA

It's on a back road between Jack Quinn's pub and Dorey's Forge. There are small permanent signs pointing down the lane with a bicycle symbol and two rectangle outlines below it, one green the other yellow I think.

It was my first time passing that way yesterday, but I've been on other roads close by and not noticed similar signs. Nothing on street view as it's 10 years old now.

Balkill Road?
    That's the upper end after the climb - Balglass Road leads onto Balkill Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's the upper end after the climb - Balglass Road leads onto Balkill Road.

Aha, I never knew that.

.. with a bicycle symbol and two rectangle outlines below it, one green the other yellow I think...
    Green and yellow - Meath GAA colours?

Green and yellow - Meath GAA colours?
    Maybe, I'm not 100% certain of the colours. They weren't in any sort of flag or pattern, more like route or trail indicators (see attached). I'll have to take a spin that way again.

Anyone any idea what's cycling related down this Co. Meath lane? https://goo.gl/maps/iRs6DK8ch3Fm2adAA

It's on a back road between Jack Quinn's pub and Dorey's Forge. There are small permanent signs pointing down the lane with a bicycle symbol and two rectangle outlines below it, one green the other yellow I think.

It was my first time passing that way yesterday, but I've been on other roads close by and not noticed similar signs. Nothing on street view as it's 10 years old now.

Is it the Tain cycling trail by any chance?

Is it the Tain cycling trail by any chance?
    I can't seem to find a proper map of that route. Using this map it looks like it gets close but not quite.

• Advertisement

might it have been for a local sportive?

Advertisement