Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They seemed too permanent for that, they looked metal and on their own poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't seem to find a proper map of that route. Using this map it looks like it gets close but not quite.
    There's a near 600km Audax ready made!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is rebuilding a wheel massively difficult?

I have a set of 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (same as the ones pictured) and I think they are a stunning set of wheels, given the age/mileage the rims are worn, the freehub is perfect. Checking online I could buy new rims and spokes for less around €160, the wheels would be as close to brand new as you could get then for a relatively small outlay. However if I have to go paying somebody to build them I fear it will make it not worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Maybe, I'm not 100% certain of the colours. They weren't in any sort of flag or pattern, more like route or trail indicators (see attached). I'll have to take a spin that way again.

There's similar signage around Lough Derg and outside of Thurles for the North Tipperary Cycle Network. I'm sure I've seen them elsewhere but that's the most recent place I can think of seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is rebuilding a wheel massively difficult?

I have a set of 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels (same as the ones pictured) and I think they are a stunning set of wheels, given the age/mileage the rims are worn, the freehub is perfect. Checking online I could buy new rims and spokes for less around €160, the wheels would be as close to brand new as you could get then for a relatively small outlay. However if I have to go paying somebody to build them I fear it will make it not worthwhile.

You don't need new spokes, rims will suffice. 20 spoke wheels are under a lot more tension. If you're willing to put in the time to learn how to do it you can rebuild them yourself. Check out Roger Musson's Wheelbuilder book for around €10. Well worth the money...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You don't need new spokes, rims will suffice. 20 spoke wheels are under a lot more tension. If you're willing to put in the time to learn how to do it you can rebuild them yourself. Check out Roger Musson's Wheelbuilder book for around €10. Well worth the money...

Thanks!

The spokes are cheap enough and a lot on the current wheel are fused in the way the go on Mavic wheels of that age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Thanks!

The spokes are cheap enough and a lot on the current wheel are fused in the way the go on Mavic wheels of that age

If your first build is a 20 spoke rear wheel with bladed spoke the overwhelming probability is you'll make a bo11ix of it.

Factory wheels are disposable items

If your first build is a 20 spoke rear wheel with bladed spoke the overwhelming probability is you'll make a bo11ix of it.

Factory wheels are disposable items

More that these are a really nice looking set of wheels that I wouldn't mind running in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I can't seem to find a proper map of that route. Using this map it looks like it gets close but not quite.

Fair play to you, I couldn't find any map.

Sitting in work, having one of those days then I get a text 'Hey dude, your wheels are in'

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was just perusing that 'favourite bike shops' thread and copped that even though i have six bikes, i haven't actually bought a bike new in a bike shop in about 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

In the last 6 years, 4 out of 5 bikes were bought in bike shops.

was just perusing that 'favourite bike shops' thread and copped that even though i have six bikes, i haven't actually bought a bike new in a bike shop in about 15 years.

Does that mean you have a bike2work to abuse? Or did you use it online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My last four bikes have been bought secondhand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have yet to buy a new bike

Out of my last 5 I bought one new through B2W. The last 2 actually came from the cycling adverts section here

yeah, of my four bikes bought S/H, one was bought as a full bike here, one was bought without wheels but the wheels also sourced S/H here, and the third bought as a frame, with many of the components also bought here. the fourth was bought in the rediscovery centre in ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone looking for a job: https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/05/01/dublin-city-council-may-soon-get-a-new-cycling-and-walking-officer
    Dublin City Council hasn’t had a cycling and walking promotion officer since last summer, but that’s about to change.

The new job listing is supposed to go live this week on 2 May, according to a spokesperson for the council, but no details about the post are available until then.

one thing i've noticed of late is i'm pinging a lot more gravel out from under my tyres on my commute. it happened about four times this morning that i threw up road chippings, and i'm fairly sure one hit a car.

one thing i've noticed of late is i'm pinging a lot more gravel out from under my tyres on my commute. it happened about four times this morning that i threw up road chippings, and i'm fairly sure one hit a car.

It's building trucks all over the city dropping bits. Even starting to see the 'concrete skidmarks' around the city that disappeared when the tiger moved out.

• Advertisement

yeah, i flagged down a cement mixer last week to tell him he was dribbling out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

More that these are a really nice looking set of wheels that I wouldn't mind running in winter.

Here's a quote from the book linked above on spoke count.

"In the majority of cases you will find 32 and 36 hole components built 3 cross and you will have to come up with a very good reason for doing something different. 95% of my customer wheels for road race, mountain bike and those of the professional downhill racing teams use 32 spokes. The exceptions are a few 36 hole wheels for road touring and BMX, and a few 28 hole wheels for road race. I’ve never built any 24, 40 or 48 hole wheels (because I’ve never been asked).
    The only spokes I use are standard double butted (2mm/1.8mm) for the majority of the wheels and a few lightweight double butted (2mm/1.5mm) for light cross country mountain bike wheels, I’ve been using some 1.8mm/1.6mm double butted spokes on road sport/race wheels (but for no real reason). I never use plain (straight) gauge and try not to use bladed spokes wherever a road customer really wants them (mountain bikers never get these)

You are proposing to build a 2 cross rear with 20 spokes and a front wheel with 20 spokes built radially. For your first build.

32/36 spoke 3 cross is forgiving for amateurs, what your proposing is far from it, but it's your money and your safety so it's your call

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

50/50 whether it was gravel or an acorn that hit my lid on a group ride last weekend. Scared the bejayyyysus out of me either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ED E wrote: »
    50/50 whether it was gravel or an acorn that hit my lid on a group ride last weekend. Scared the bejayyyysus out of me either way.
    Surely too early for an acorn, unless it's been rolling around on the road since last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lumen wrote: »
    Surely too early for an acorn, unless it's been rolling around on the road since last October.

D'oh, of course you're correct.

In all in anyways makes me glad I always use some kind of eyewear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Truth...

58968026_10157533247716424_2875238192422846464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=55e8e89b22c3ddb744d42578a3422a14&oe=5D3459B3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Weepsie wrote: »
    Somerton road is steep enough too near knockmaroon

Went up this yesterday for the first time in years. It's been resurfaced and is lovely and smooth. Rugged lane nearby, has not, which is apt as the name would be a little misleading then.

buffalo wrote: »
    Cycling & Walking Officer (Temporary)

Dublin City Council invites applications, on the official form, from suitably qualified persons who wish to be considered for inclusion on a panel from which vacancies for the following position may be filled:

Salary: €46,770 - €57,157 per annum
    Eligible: Suitably qualified persons
    Closing Date: 5.00p.m. on Thursday, 24th May 2019.
    Applications to: recruitclericaladmin@dublincity.ie

All applications must be made on the Cycling & Walking Officer (Temporary) application form below. Alternatively, the form may be obtained by emailing human.resources@dublincity.ie, or by contacting the Human Resources Department at telephone number (01) 2223041.

Please note that all application forms must be typed, must include a scanned photograph where requested on the form and should be emailed, in PDF format, to the above email address.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council-careers-dublin-city-council-current-vacancies/cycling-walking-officer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Donncha Cuttris is in the Race Around hte Netherlands. Currently in 16th place I think. You can dot watch here

https://ratn2019.legendstracking.com/#

• Advertisement

i wonder if any of the well known campaigners will be going for this; at least they'd stand a good chance of hitting the ground running (or walking, ho ho ho).

Advertisement