Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only 8 months(!?!) until b2w comes around, so started looking with a view to saving... Looking at Steel options.

Groupset, Wheelset, Bar and Seat post being equal, anything else that would specifically add weight to a finished bike with a steel frame and carbon fork compared to a carbon frame and fork?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

While sitting on the Tube in London this week I noticed an advert for the Lumen App

I would just like to add, I had never previously used or even been aware of said app, and have no intention of using it....

….honest!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Beasty wrote: »
    While sitting on the Tube in London this week I noticed an advert for the Lumen App

I would just like to add, I had never previously used or even been aware of said app, and have no intention of using it....

….honest!!

Ha ha ha ha! Who knew such a thing existed?!

The over 50's eh? STI Shifters according to the stats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Garda stops Electric Unicycle Scooter in Dublin, funny bit, the guy tells the garda that he is filming him, and the garda says you cant GDPR , what a muppet

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's a place called Yellow Walls on the road from Hollystown to Kilbride which will be familiar with a few cyclists who do that route the weekend. As far as I know there's nowhere in the actual area that uses that name but it comes up on google maps when flagging the weather etc for the location you're in etc.

There's no walls around there, let alone yellow ones, so that's one I've always wondered about.
    there's also a yellow walls road in malahide. i've wondered where the name comes from.
    though i guess this might help: https://oldyellowwalls.org/why-yellow-walls/

So this was Yellow Walls straddling the Dublin/Meath border yesterday. Not so much flax but rapeseed, it smelled great, and it certainly lived up to its name.
    479312.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

For a minute there I was really scratching my head as to how Rapeseed lived up to its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

silverharp wrote: »
    Garda stops Electric Unicycle Scooter in Dublin, funny bit, the guy tells the garda that he is filming him, and the garda says you cant GDPR , what a muppet
    Who is the muppet?

"Because GDPR" is just moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    Who is the muppet?

A friend's son wrote up a complaint from their class about the standards of lecturing at their college course. When he - as class rep - submitted it to the Dean, the Dean asked if there were any lecturers' names in it. The answer was yes, so the Dean refused to take it on GDPR grounds.

I admire the sheer brazenness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Lumen wrote: »
    Who is the muppet?

the garda

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Here's a quote from the book linked above on spoke count.

" I never use plain (straight) gauge and try not to use bladed spokes wherever a road customer really wants them (mountain bikers never get these).

Humm, I heard or read somewhere that plain gauge spokes has less flex than double butted so it's what I go for all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Maybe, I'm not 100% certain of the colours. They weren't in any sort of flag or pattern, more like route or trail indicators (see attached). I'll have to take a spin that way again.
    I went looking for more signs today. The lines are red (dashed) and green (solid), there's two signs in the attached image (one in the background on the distance sign, taken here).

Turns out it's the Meath Heritage 50k Cycle route.
    The Meath Heritage Cycle tour which has been organised by Meath Local Sports Partnership for the past 10 years will not be taking place in 2019. [...] A legacy of the Meath Heritage Cycle tour will be the development of a permanently signed 50k cycle route. [...] We fully anticipate to officially open this route by mid June 2019. Our plan is to hold a cycle event to coincide with this launch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

150 cyclists needed as extras for 1998 Tour de France movie in Dublin - I'll throw my chapeau in the ring anyway

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-n...e-dublin-1998/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Humm, I heard or read somewhere that plain gauge spokes has less flex than double butted so it's what I go for all the time now.

But they are also, surprisingly, more prone to breakage due to less elasticity and therefore increased effect of repetitive stresses.

From the tests I've seen somewhere online, number of spokes was more important than their gauge for the overall stifness of wheels.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

colm18 wrote: »
    150 cyclists needed as extras for 1998 Tour de France movie in Dublin - I'll throw my chapeau in the ring anyway

"Audition? I saw all the other cyclists in Festina gear lining up and... well... I thought you were selling drugs"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

"Audition? I saw all the other cyclists in Festina gear lining up and... well... I thought you were selling drugs"

I did that etappe du tour on a friend's Kelly alu vitus. Though the bike still exists, it has been repainted.

My current vintage bike is too old, I also have a correct BH frame (maybe 1999 or 2000) in the garden as a plant frame due to having a cracked head tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Ageist feckers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ageist feckers!!
    I presume they want a picture to ensure that no one over 65kgs would be in with a shout either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I presume they want a picture to ensure that no one over 65kgs would be in with a shout either.

65.8kgs myself, ah well!!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

63kg...but hairy legs will count against me!

• Advertisement

I guess my hairy face will outweight my 84kg :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Alek wrote: »
    I guess my hairy face will outweight my 84kg :P

There might be a motion picture on the grooming of that facial master piece....be clipping the wings off all types of flying beasties entangled in it this summer :D

beard-moustache-9__3087217b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

133f18bfec0ef7e9b1bd24bdb9bfc894.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Anyone know what has a happened Fitzcycles in Kilmacud. There is a sign on the door stating they are looking for new premises, but the website and facebook page have vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Anyone know what has a happened Fitzcycles in Kilmacud. There is a sign on the door stating they are looking for new premises, but the website and facebook page have vanished.

I know someone who picked up their bike from repair. They said that the landlord got rid of all tenants in the building and gave plenty of notice but they haven’t managed to find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

the website and facebook page are down. I hope they get a place. Great guys in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I know someone who picked up their bike from repair. They said that the landlord got rid of all tenants in the building and gave plenty of notice but they haven’t managed to find somewhere else.

property is up for sale now, by the ad its only the fitz unit thats up, 50k p/a rent. assume new agreements with terms they didnt want

Personally loved bike fit in their, but found their style with customers strange at times. That and i didn't like the head mechanics manner or his work. Gears never indexed right on day 0 and after 2 further services

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I heard 3wks notice but can't validate that number.

Advertisement