Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islabikes Cnoc 14L or 16 for first bike?

Options
  • 23-04-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Trying to decide which bike to go with for 3 and a half year olds first pedal bike. He is 100cm tall with an inside leg of 39cm which is more than min for 14L and less than min for the 16 but I’m expecting a growth spurt between now and summer as it’s when he usually grows the most. Will the 16 be too big for him and make learning to ride with pedals too difficult? Would love the advice of anyone who has experience of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

O bought the 16 for my son when he was under 100cm high. He was able to ride it with almost no difficulty, and the bike will serve longer for him 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Personally I’d prefer the 14. I’d prefer have a bike that the kid can learn to control comfortably and not be too stretched on.

Should be able to move it on easily when you’re finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Great bike, my daughter has the 16, looking to move my son onto it soon and get her a bigger one. Can't really offer more advice I'm afraid, can't really remember how big she was when she got it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

My 3.5 yr old got a 14, started with the saddle at the lowest possible point and is now steadily cranking it up. She was 96cm at the time, don't have her leg-measurements.

The 16 would have been too large for her to start on @ Christmas (most likely).

I suspect either would do, the 16 might be a smidge too tall for him but not for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

16. At 100cm he should be able to handle now. He’ll grow fast and the 16 will be better longterm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would say the 16.

I would also say, unless you have lots of cash, not sure its worth it.

The 20 yes, when they get older.

They are very pricey and you wont be doing a whole lot of cycling at that age.

We have the 20, and two of the kids will use it. Usually with Isla its either pink or blue, so generally a boy and a girl wont both use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lorridobs

Thanks for all the advice. I think we’ll go for the 16, otherwise I’m afraid we won’t get long out of it. He’s very steady and confident on the balance bike at the moment.
    Hoping to get one secondhand as I don’t think I can justify the full price at the moment.
    Anyone ready to pass one on let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lorridobs

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I would say the 16.

I would also say, unless you have lots of cash, not sure its worth it.

The 20 yes, when they get older.

They are very pricey and you wont be doing a whole lot of cycling at that age.

We have the 20, and two of the kids will use it. Usually with Isla its either pink or blue, so generally a boy and a girl wont both use it.

My son would actually prefer the pink one but as I’m looking for a second hand one he may have to settle for whatever we come across! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

There's also red/orange (which I have for my girl/boy and I think green

Advertisement