Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids makings friends, but their friends parents??

Options
  • 23-04-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all I'm a family man . Happily married with two young children ,2 yo boy and 4 yo going on 5 in two months. Now I'm all for going out on the road or wherever to get my kids active and play as all kids love to do. I live in an estate where we have a nice green outside the house. Couple of the kids are older probably 10yo max, a group of 5-8 max mixed. They do their thing and we do ours . They are very well mannered , very polite and just kids . Even times they play outside our house as were in a cul de sack . Not a issue whatsoever not even the slightest.
    My kids have friends in around the same age and at times we a play outside.
    My eldest one always wants to run over and play with the other kids that are older . At times I have to explain to her that they are doing their thing and older, generally distract her. They wave at each other and so on. But she is too young for there age group.

I'm a friendly out going dad , I would always say hello to anyone and I love my kids making friends. Sometimes children in around same age as my own would be out with their mam or dad's on a stroll would generally stop for a bit and we'd be all watching them playing,we'd be playing, having a chat and so on. Getting to know a bit about each other and on and on and on.
    anything to see the smile on kids faces making and playing with friend. Sure times you even make friends yourself.

So here's my issue... 2 days ago with the lovely weather outside , we were out on the road. Newish Neighbours from behind our road came around to the green with her dad and grandad. My girl and his girl seemed to click very well , played, ran, laughed together. My wife and I introduced ourselves , the usual head nod stuff , asked few questions like is she in school yet , how old, living here live. You know just to keep the convo going.
    Now the grandad did most of the talking and the dad not saying much.
    Anyway it was time for them to leave and reluctantly his girl didn't want to leave and was nearly stropping. Naturally of course. They had played well together.. Say goodbyes , see you tomorrow. Waving.. and off they went.

About half an hour later Granny and girl come back around . She runs over happy , granny says hello , blah blah blah. But seemed very nice. It was just that we had planned to head in before they arrived. So we stayed out an extra half hour. Chatting away. Letting them play . Granny says" She hasn't stopped talking about your one since she came home, I had to bring her around". We went in soon

fast forward to today.. Dad and girl come around. She run over. He well behind her, on his phone , walks along path , walks around us and onto the green. NOT ONCE did he look up and acknowledge myself or the wife. For about 5 minutes he stood there looking down at his phone , glanced over at the two of them playing ever so often.. it was like a dead silent blew over. I was just puzzled , he knew they were playing together and it felt like we were being used.

Using us for his child's entertainment. And him standing there making no interaction with us whatsoever. I just got a weird vibe. He had a dog with him which was off the lead. They were close to it , I said to my one, "be careful around the dog". He looks up and goes to put lead on, I say to my ". Tell your friend about our two dogs". He puts lead on and back to his phone. Not even a head nod, we stand there still puzzled. They played for a bit longer . Until we leave with the 'Dinner 'excuse.

Walked away feeling strange.. as did my wife.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Sounds like he just has no social skills or is very shy but is coming off as rude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Sounds like a quiet man, just shy, you’re over thinking it. Did you try and strike up a conversation?

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

He's obviously not a big talker. I don't see how you were being used. If he dropped his child at the corner and told her to go knock on your door, then I'd say you were being used.. but he supervised his child, you were also out. He might be really awkward and not good at making small talk. It doesn't mean that his child shouldn't be able to make friends with yours. Just because your children play together doesn't mean he has to hang around making small talk. So long as he's not dropping his child and using you as a babysitter then I don't see any real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nitpick man

You'd think the fact he had already introduced himself with his father or in-law the previous day would have broken that barrier . He didn't even make an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Sounds to me like you are completely over reacting- taking offence and feeling used. He is shy/ in a bad mood/ on a work call/ not in the mood for questions/ didn't really like you .
    You don't have to be friends with the parents your kids play with on the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You'd think the fact he had already introduced himself with his father or in-law the previous day would have broken that barrier . He didn't even make an effort.

Some people find it very difficult to interact with others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sounds like he just has no social skills or is very shy but is coming off as rude

Yea that’s very likely ok, people seem incapable these days of making an effort to chat and be polite. You could monitor things for a while and see how it goes.

Did you walk over and introduce yourself ?? It may have been enough to break the ice.

It’s hard, when my eldest was 9 we had to ask her not to play with one kid in her class as the parents were dealing drugs and their house was raided several times. Was easier th head it off at that stage then let a friendship develop. The girl is drinking and smoking now that they are 15 so it was best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Apt username ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

He sounds like someone with no social skills. Some people don't. Or maybe he wanted a few minutes peace and quiet without having to make smalltalk. Just because your kids are friendly does not mean you have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He sounds like someone with no social skills. Some people don't. Or maybe he wanted a few minutes peace and quiet without having to make smalltalk. Just because your kids are friendly does not mean you have to be.

No, but the best way to know who your kids are mixing with is to talk to them, I’m no socialite but where the kids are concerned I’d make an effort to talk to them so I can be comfortable that things are ok.

• Advertisement

I see your point of view. But when other kids come over and jump on your kids bike , play with your kids toys. You like to think they would make acknowledgement never mind small talk. I know my child does it . All the time . We shouldn't have to be telling her to ask her dad is it okay for you to be on it. He should be coming over asking us

xabi wrote: »
    Apt username ;-)
    Me all over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As you said it was the grandfather doing the social bit.
    Give it time, he's only just met you - get the kids to bring you together, be having a pint together in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I'd say he's just socially awkward. Don't write him off just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Could be any number of things, could be shy, maybe his english isn't great, maybe he's just socially awkward, maybe he's dealing with crippling anxiety and just being out of the house in a new environment is a major effort.

Just try and be nice is all you can do, don't be pushy either, not everybody is outgoing all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah good old Phone Parent. Literally phoning it in.

parent-cellphone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Might be a gambling/betting addict or checking stocks/Forex or worse, bitcoin ;) Or just writing work related emails

I know there is no rule . But if there is no common courtesy then yes, we don't have to be friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Dud you actually try to talk to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

"No social skills" is the new lingo for rude git. Don't sweat it OP, they're not rare.

I've been that parent who has a zillion work emails to do while the kids are playing. I woman-up and apologise for being rude to whoever I'm snubbing, making some weak excuse about a deadline and some guy being in an odd timezone. Or, a nod and a shrug or wave if I'm talking on the phone. Everyone has to look up some time, even to check the smallies are still alive. A nod of acknowledgement is all it takes to be polite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Great your kids are having fun together and enjoying each other’s company. Don’t let your expectations ruin a friendship for the kids.

Do you go out to supervise your kid or to make friends with other kids parents. If it’s the second, are you using your kid? If you start to over think things or project your expectations on others you’ll sound unrealsonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm putting it on the record here.
    You two will be besties by next Christmas..feet up with the footie on, a few bottles in hand reminiscent about how you first met..

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

I'm putting it on the record here.
    You two will be besties by next Christmas..feet up with the footie on, a few bottles in hand reminiscent about how you first met..

Crying with laughter, hilarious :D

God I hate mindless small talk!

Yes an alright , head nod and a hello. No response. Stood there on his phone. Had a conversation with him in a way but was through his daughter telling her to ask her dad is it okay to be on the bike. I know I would have asked, but that me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think OP it's just because you're so used to being friendly with all the other parents that you have an expectation that this particular parent should have reciprocated your friendship. There's nothing wrong with that expectation, but when it doesn't pan out you really shouldn't be given to over-thinking the infinite number of possible reasons why it didn't. You'll honestly only torment yourself.

My child plays with plenty of other children in the neighbourhood, and when we go down to the park there are plenty of parents there too. Our children playing together doesn't mean I want to get to know their parents, and certainly I don't think I'm "using" them because our children play together. Their children come over to my place, my child goes to their place. I have their phone numbers and they have mine if we want to contact each other to find anything out. Other than the fact our children play together we really just don't have anything in common.

Of course I'm friends with some of my child's friends parents, but no, I wouldn't see any particular need to be friendly with them all.

I don't understand why she'd have to ask her dad if it was ok to be on your daughter's bike? Surely if she was going to ask anyone, she'd ask your daughter. Kids play together. Kids share their stuff. Kids fall out and make up again in minutes. Your child's friendship with someone shouldn't depend on Your friendship with their parents.

He could just be an ignorant pig. But why would that matter to your daughter and her new friend?

And I'm still confused as to how he's using you.

I don't understand why she'd have to ask her dad if it was ok to be on your daughter's bike? Surely if she was going to ask anyone, she'd ask your daughter.
    my kids use helmets when on their bikes. I shouldn't be responsible for her if she did fall off the bike , so yeah the dad should ask or even acknowledge it. Remember they are 4 yo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds just plain rude if it's as you describe, if you'd already been introduced the previous day and now he's just blanked you, and with effort it must be said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Sounds just plain rude if it's as you describe, if you'd already been introduced the previous day and now he's just blanked you, and with effort it must be said

It is rude, and some people just are. It's really nice if the parents of our kids' friends are nice too, but sometimes they aren't specially, and you just have to roll with that. HE seems to be supervising, so IMO he's not really "using" you the way some parents do, using you as free childminding services while they go off and leave you to it. He's just not being very friendly. But you can't force him to.

Basically, I'd be more worried about whether my kids are safe with the other parents, once they get to the age of going over to each others' houses and the like. Which will come soon enough if they become friends.

My daughter had a friend she did gymnastics with, and while I got on really well with the mother, the father was a massive drinker, stank of old alcohol all the time, and when the mother wanted us to share the driving to and from competitions, I was in a bit of quandary about whether I should be upfront about why I didnt want my daughter in their car!

So this is just the start OP, you'll probably soon think that was a minor "friends" issue compared to what else can come up!

• Advertisement

So what advice ar you looking for? Or are you just having a rant? Next time he comes around with his daughter, if he doesn't approach you you can approach him. Tell him you're not comfortable with his daughter being on your daughter's bike unless she wears a helmet and ask him to make sure she has one. Or else, tell your daughter to bring all her stuff into the back garden and not allow the little one to use it. Or else tell your 4 year old that she's not allowed play with the other 4 year old because her dad won't speak to you.

Advertisement