Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaving through traffic

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Goose81 wrote: »
    Yeah the only place I'm very reluctant to do it is on the M50 unless it's absolutely gridlocked. I see lads doing it when I'm driving at 100kmh in the car and think it's crazy, all it takes is one clown to turn without looking and you are gone

I've wheelied faster than that through M50 traffic lol

[not even messing]

Filtering/weaving, stop being pedantic people.

Most of us do it, its grand and takes a ton of time from your journey.

If you sit behind traffic like a car driver then you're an idiot who should be driving a car.

Same as the idiot who filters to top of a line of cars and stops, then won't move left or right to allow another bike through.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've wheelied faster than that through M50 traffic lol

[not even messing]

Filtering/weaving, stop being pedantic people.

Most of us do it, its grand and takes a ton of time from your journey.

If you sit behind traffic like a car driver then you're an idiot who should be driving a car.

Same as the idiot who filters to top of a line of cars and stops, then won't move left or right to allow another bike through.

Grrrrrrrr :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm thinking of doing my category A license and getting a Suzuki GZ250. I saw pictures of these online and they're beautiful. I'll expect to pay roughly €7,500 for one (used).

One of the advantages of having a motorbike is to weave in and out of traffic, but if you don't do this, then there is no difference in the advantage of having a car or a bike.

Do you weave on a bike? I know it's illegal, but not weaving would defeat the purpose of having a bike, wouldn't it?

I'll put up a private poll :)

It's neither illegal, nor weaving, so i can't answer your Poll.

I do however, filter. Always.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm thinking of doing my category A license and getting a Suzuki GZ250. ..........

Ahem: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057864921

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What’s your point?

I think everyones point is you're a windup merchant.

Also have a look at this - http://www.suzuki-ireland.ie/on-road/street-bikes/gz250/

You might save a coulpe of euro :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

From the RSA..

Motorcycle Lane Filtering should only be carried out by trained and
    experienced motorcyclists and should never be attempted by novices or
    newcomers.

It requires intense concentration and awareness, high levels of
    observation, machine handling and anticipatory skills and should be done
    in a considerate manner.

While there is no legal definition of filtering in the Road Traffic Act,
    motorcycle riders may be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act for:-
    Riding a motorcycle in a dangerous manner, riding without due care and
    attention to other road users, breaking the speed limit while filtering
    etc. It would be at the discretion of an Garda at the time, as to what
    section of the road traffic act, the rider may be prosecuted under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

From the RSA..

Motorcycle Lane Filtering should only be carried out by trained and
    experienced motorcyclists and should never be attempted by novices or
    newcomers.

It requires intense concentration and awareness, high levels of
    observation, machine handling and anticipatory skills and should be done
    in a considerate manner.

While there is no legal definition of filtering in the Road Traffic Act,
    motorcycle riders may be prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act for:-
    Riding a motorcycle in a dangerous manner, riding without due care and
    attention
    to other road users, breaking the speed limit while filtering
    etc. It would be at the discretion of an Garda at the time, as to what
    section of the road traffic act, the rider may be prosecuted under.

Talk about contradiction......

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

zubair wrote: »
    I'm disappointed you all fell at the first hurdle. Firstly we should all know by now that a 24 year old doesn't look for a 250 when they're learning, a fireblade would have been believable. Second of all..... 7.5k for a GZ250!?!?

Shame on you all!

Haha, literally the only thing that stood out from the OP.

Gz250 would be a disaster bike to filter on in any case, I learned on one and you'd have to reach up and knock on people's windows to say excuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Talk about contradiction......

Not really. Years ago my brother was following a bike through traffic and the person was weaving across the lines, my brother was riding in a straight line. Garda flags them in and proceeds to give the 1st biker a bollocking and waved my brother on. Both filtering at the same speed only difference was the 1st guy was weaving my brother wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

I'll generally try to make my way to the front of a congested block of traffic but always cautiously as I know that most of them won't see me coming. Irish drivers are simply not bike aware. The very odd one will actually go out of their way to hinder or at least won't move over that little bit to let a bike through. Although in fairness many will make room on the open road if they see you in the mirror.
    A while back in the UK, I filtered through many miles of stopped / crawling motorway traffic at peak hour and the cars parted in front of me to let me through with the awareness, courtesy and good grace that's typical of them. Here there seems to be a sense of entitlement and almost resentment that someone might make better progress in traffic as if it was somehow taking something away from them. Road use is all about good manners. Be nice to everyone else. It costs nothing ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fraytag

no matter if weaving is legal or not.. I noticed that bikers on M50 waves between 2nd and 3rd lane what surprised me on very beginning in ROI. it was and it looks like more natural to pass the others on the right of 3rd lane, but usually drivers keep right and leave kind of corridor between 2nd and 3rd lane
    is this any king of regulation or more like non written rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

fraytag wrote: »
    no matter if weaving is legal or not.. I noticed that bikers on M50 waves between 2nd and 3rd lane what surprised me on very beginning in ROI. it was and it looks like more natural to pass the others on the right of 3rd lane, but usually drivers keep right and leave kind of corridor between 2nd and 3rd lane
    is this any king of regulation or more like non written rule?

How can you pass in the right hand side of the 3rd lane? It's full of debris on the M50 and on half the motorways in the country it's grass so if you had to swerve you'd be on grass..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

3 pages of pure boring shyte.

Some people need to get out more often. So go out and ride yer bikes folks.

Then post pics of yer bikes in various locations on the forum.

3 pages of pure boring shyte.

Get out and ride yer bikes folks.

Then post pics of yer bikes on the forum.

Where's the fun in that !! :pac:

Some bikers (PEOPLE IN GENERAL) these days are so fcuking needy...make yer own minds up FFS....:mad:

D3V!L wrote: »
    Where's the fun in that !! :pac:

Stop people crying like little babies here and weed out the trolls here.

It's a motorbike forum so these folk should get out on the bike and ride.

Stop people crying little little babies here and weed out the trolls here.

I didn't read the thread. It got boring very quickly. Sure I only come here to look at the shiny bikes.

Get out,ride yer bike or bikes.
    And stop ****ing well complaining here.

Bunch of keyboard warriors here on this thread and forum lately with nothing better to do than troll or stir up crap.

Ride your bike and take pics.
    Simple as that and End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Get out,ride yer bike or bikes.
    And stop ****ing well complaining here.

Bunch of keyboard warriors here on this thread and forum lately with nothing better to do than troll or stir up crap.

Ride your bike and take pics.
    Simple as that and End of.

Any chance of a go on your BMW? Go on. I wont go past 3rd gear. honest....

• Advertisement

Rory28 wrote: »
    Any chance of a go on your BMW? Go on. I wont go past 3rd gear. honest....

You'd be very close to 200kph at that stage :D

D3V!L wrote: »
    You'd be very close to 200kph at that stage :D

I'd probably be under it at that stage :pac:

I'd probably be under it at that stage :pac:

Dont worry..that number has never been on the dash............:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,612 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

That's why Mr Suzuki fitted my bike with horns. Actually, he did a shyt job of them, and Herr Bosch stepped in with a lovely set of "Schnell, Schweinhund!" sounders. Because they're hanging out in the air, they're even louder and more obnoxious than they were on the BMW they came from.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Goose81 wrote: »
    Yeah the only place I'm very reluctant to do it is on the M50 unless it's absolutely gridlocked. I see lads doing it when I'm driving at 100kmh in the car and think it's crazy, all it takes is one clown to turn without looking and you are gone
    I'm the same, I don't bother filtering on the m50 any more unless it's really slow. Some bikes go crazy fast between 2 lanes, just an accident waiting to happen.
    This is one of the most annoying and ignorant thing a biker can do imho. I fúcking hate it, I beep people who won't move up.

I love the double standards bikers have when it comes to the legal do's and dont's on our roads...
    If youre in traffic in yer car and someone comes up the wrong lane and tries to cut in we go mental, screaming "DONT LET THEM IN"..but they always get in...someone overtakes you on a single lane road over the speed limit ,you think "Wanker..hope theres a speed van around the corner"...but there never is....

we do all of the above on our bikes tho..and expect drivers to not get pissed off with us.....most of them rarely do but pull over when they see us coming...

lighten up and enjoy the good weather....:cool::cool:

I love the double standards bikers have when it comes to the legal do's and dont's on our roads...
    If youre in traffic in yer car and someone comes up the wrong lane and tries to cut in we go mental, screaming "DONT LET THEM IN"..but they always get in...someone overtakes you on a single lane road over the speed limit ,you think "Wanker..hope theres a speed van around the corner"...but there never is....

we do all of the above on our bikes tho..and expect drivers to not get pissed off with us.....most of them rarely do but pull over when they see us coming...

lighten up and enjoy the good weather....:cool::cool:

They are not the same tho. A bike might pull up in front of you but it wont stay there blocking traffic. Cars that try and squeeze in are not quite as narrow as a bike so they end blocking a lane while waiting to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

They are not the same tho. A bike might pull up in front of you but it wont stay there blocking traffic. Cars that try and squeeze in are not quite as narrow as a bike so they end blocking a lane while waiting to get.

Agreed, motorbikes accelerate way faster than the average car so while cars "queue" to overtake in lane 2 or 3 a bike can pass them all in a handful of seconds and be on a clear and safe stretch of road without delaying anyone.

zubair wrote: »
    Agreed, motorbikes accelerate way faster than the average car so while cars "queue" to overtake in lane 2 or 3 a bike can pass them all in a handful of seconds and be on a clear and safe stretch of road without delaying anyone.

I talking about attitudes...not car v bikes.......some people just love to bitch...i've had that traffic light thing happen to me a few times, usually couriers or GS riders(:P) but it never annoys me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement