Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 23-04-2018 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Very large area that needs a hedge approx 180 large(a metre)mans steps . Looking for year round coverage and not too expensive. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'd be thinking bare root, Green or Golden privet, Laurel, maybe beech would suit as it retains some winter coverage?

Bare root season has come and gone. Prepare the area over the summer / autumn and go at it next back end.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on how big you want it.

Laurel wants to be very big, so in theory a good choice for big hedge but hedges are much more expensive/impractical to cut at height. If you have the space it's quite nice left to do it's own thing, and then it gets massive, more of a shelterbelt than a hedge.

Bare root (e.g. beech, laurel, privet) is about €1-€1.50 each, so at 3 per metre you're looking at maybe €700.

Potted hedging (e.g. viburnum, eleagnus) is about €5 each, so at 2 per metre that would be €1800 (they're more expensive so I'd space them a bit more).

As Mr Cant says, it's too late for bareroot now this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I will love to have the space for something like this one HERE ...
    Also,other "collection" from same site here

Lots of flowers for my eyes and my bees,fruits for my ears and my for birds and not lastly, evergreen for my neighbours and wild animals...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rolion wrote: »
    I will love to have the space for something like this one HERE ...
    Also,other "collection" from same site here

Lots of flowers for my eyes and my bees,fruits for my ears and my for birds and not lastly, evergreen for my neighbours and wild animals...

That "Permaculture Hedge Mix" is lovely but not evergreen.

There are some fruiting evergreens, at least in theory. Viburnum tinus and Eleagnus x ebbingei off the top of my head, both will go to privacy height. Quick search throws up Rubus Tricolor, Gaultheria shallon, Mahonia, Ugni molinae, although all too short for privacy.

This page suggests olives and guavas:

https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2015/10/28/the-case-for-edible-hedges/

I think I read somewhere (maybe the future forests site?) a recommendation to throw holly into a deciduous hedge to give some winter privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lumen wrote: »
    Depends on how big you want it.

Laurel wants to be very big, so in theory a good choice for big hedge but hedges are much more expensive/impractical to cut at height. If you have the space it's quite nice left to do it's own thing, and then it gets massive, more of a shelterbelt than a hedge.

Bare root (e.g. beech, laurel, privet) is about €1-€1.50 each, so at 3 per metre you're looking at maybe €700.

Potted hedging (e.g. viburnum, eleagnus) is about €5 each, so at 2 per metre that would be €1800 (they're more expensive so I'd space them a bit more).

As Mr Cant says, it's too late for bareroot now this year.

If the hedge is on a border with agricultural land, Laurel is not recommended as farmer don't like their livestock eating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If the hedge is on a border with agricultural land, Laurel is not recommended as farmer don't like their livestock eating it.

Yup it's poisonous to livestock as is Privet unfortunately.

Privet makes a lovely garden hedge though and is fairly easily managed...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patrickdoc1959

Hi,

did you get sorted with the hedge you were looking for... what you go for??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patrickdoc1959

Hello
    just wondering what option you went for

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Reviving a zombie thread as need hedge advice.

We mainly want a hedge for privacy and security similar to the OP, would prefer the wilder, natural look but something easy to maintain, as we gave two young kids and not a lot of time.

The soil up where we are is rough and stony (in a valley), so not the best.

I'm a complete newbie to all this so excuse my ignorance. My questions:

1. There seems to be a lot of options out there for hedging. Are you better off growing from scratch or getting from a nursery? I see a couple of sites that offer fully grown hedges but imagine these are pricey?

2. Would hawthorn be a good option? Anything else? We border a sheep farm and cattle frequently break into gardens around so need something safe for them

3. What time of year is best to plant hedges?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

1) Growing a hedge from seed would take a lot longer to get established but is the cheapest option. You can get small bare root hedge plants for about 45cent per plant if buying a hundred to over 3euro per plant for ones that are a bit bigger or evergreens. Not tried planting any fully grown hedges but besides the cost I find that bigger is not always better when planting things like hedge plants as being a bit smaller and not catching the wind as much when newly planted can help things settle in faster into healthy growth.

2) Hawthorn is a good option if you are looking for something that farm animals will not break through. Went for a mix of hornbeam and hawthorn in this hedge I planted a couple of years back.

3) Should be fine to plant bare root hedge up until about March when it can become more difficult to source plants and warmer dryer weather makes it more difficult for them to settle in.

Happy gardening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would tend to agree with you Macraignil about not being too late for bare root (as in - I still have a few heeled in but it has been too wet to get out and plant them :D ) but agreed there might not be much around.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

It will take some time to grow to a size which will keep cattle out, but when it does it would to good to "lay" it, to create a stockproof barrier. If you google the term "laying a hedge" you will find plenty of information about this technique.
    I planted a hedge composed of mixed native hedgerow plants, about twenty years ago, and gave it a good start by ensuring that there was a good amount of garden compost under each plant. When it became reasonably established I used to mulch around the base with grass cuttings a couple of times a year, to provide some nutrients and prevent competition from weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭mojesius

Great thank you all very much for the advice!

Advertisement