Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Limerick

• 24-04-2018 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi guys I recently just got offered a position to work in General Motors in Limerick out by Dooradoyle. Now I was just wondering what areas in and around here or even in the city centre itself are nice or decent to live in? Somewhere within the price range of 400-500 a month for a flat share or house share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

If you're working in Dooradoyle, it makes sense to live out there. You'll save yourself the hassle, expense and time cost of commuting. You should be able to walk or cycle to work too. Having said that, the city centre is a pretty good place to live these days. Perhaps I am biased because I live there myself. I find there's so much going on, it's a very social place. It's changing quite quickly too, and is a lot more vibrant than it would have been even a few years ago. I think, knowing what I do about Limerick, if I were moving here now to take up a job in Dooradoyle, I'd still choose the city centre to live in (and I'd cycle in and out in approx 8-9 mins). Rents in the city centre are climbing fast. You should get a decent house share for 400 - 500 per month though.

edit: Congrats on getting the job! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Castletroy is lovely. Some very nice estates on Golf Links Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Castletroy is lovely. Some very nice estates on Golf Links Road.

For working on the other side of the city, not ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

Dooradoyle will be close and Raheen close enough for cycling as well, both are nice areas.
    There are quite a few apartments in the Dooradoyle Park estate, which is directly across GM. Also right behind GM there's the largest Limerick shopping centre and cinema, so there's that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Note: TLDR at the bottom.

Dooradoyle, Raheen, Mungret and Fr. Russell Rd are all in the immediate area surrounding the building you would be working in, and all within easy walking distance (max 40 minutes from Mungret) and even easier cycling distance.
    You should also look at areas like South Circular Road, Joseph St and city centre. SCR is between a 5 and 20 minute walk depending on where on the road you would be.

Bus service to Dooradoyle is good and regular, so getting in and out by bus is not an issue takes about 15 minutes, walk is about 40 and cycling is about 10 minutes.

There is a motorway connection between Castletroy/Annacotty and Dooradoyle/Raheen, but you need to know that these are the biggest suburbs by far in Limerick so rush hour traffic in both can add significant time to a car journey. Without traffic you can get from Castletroy to Dooradoyle in about 15 minutes by motorway, but that can easily be doubled or tripled in heavy traffic. It’s a nice area, but in my mind not worth the hassle for where you’ll be working.

I’m living about midway along the SCR and I would highly recommend it, I work in the city and walk to work every day in under 20 minutes, the train station is about a 15 minute walk, and where I’m living it’s about the same to the shopping centre and the building you’ll be working in. It’s an established area and very quiet. There are some students in the area due to Mary I but with limited exceptions I have not had a major problem with them in the 9 years I’ve been living there (maybe 3 noise complaints in 9 years).

TLDR: Anywhere from City centre to Mungret and all in between will suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

South Circular Rd or O'Connell Avenue, closer to the city and not as soulless as the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

zulutango wrote: »
    If you're working in Dooradoyle, it makes sense to live out there. You'll save yourself the hassle, expense and time cost of commuting. You should be able to walk or cycle to work too. Having said that, the city centre is a pretty good place to live these days. Perhaps I am biased because I live there myself. I find there's so much going on, it's a very social place. It's changing quite quickly too, and is a lot more vibrant than it would have been even a few years ago. I think, knowing what I do about Limerick, if I were moving here now to take up a job in Dooradoyle, I'd still choose the city centre to live in (and I'd cycle in and out in approx 8-9 mins). Rents in the city centre are climbing fast. You should get a decent house share for 400 - 500 per month though.

edit: Congrats on getting the job! :)

The standard of accommodation in the city centre is absolutely dire though, especially for the prices. We really need a huge effort to be made to create high quality residential buildings within the centre and concentrate on getting a more dense population. Not social housing either. Then the city centre will really begin having a nice atmosphere and a bit of buzz and businesses may begin staying open later.

Any apartment block with electric space heaters instead of decent Central heating should be demolished and pissed on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I agree with you. However, the rising rents are giving the landlords an incentive to renovate. I'm aware of quiet a few Georgian buildings being renovated now because of this. But we need modern apartment accommodation too, for sure.

Also, don't forget that while the standard of accommodation is not great in the city centre, it's not great in the suburbs either!! It's rare that you'll see an A or B rated house on the market in Limerick.

Thankfully, building standards have been fairly radically overhauled, so what gets built in the future is likely to be pretty good. Those will have the competitive edge over the ****tier, older ones, and that will be an incentive to owners of the existing housing stock to retrofit and renovate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

South Circular road/Ballinacurra rd is a great place to live. I love it here, everything is on your doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DylanB85

Hi guys sorry about the late reply. I've been extremely busy finishing my final year college project and dissertation. Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll keep them in mind!

Advertisement