Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rental parked on private land

• 24-04-2018 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Heyo all,

There's a rental car that somehow got into my gated car park and parked in my spot. I've left a note informing the driver and left a note my own car for who ever's spot I'm after taking as a result.

Now, what's the craic with getting the car removed? There's no sign of lift from whoever is renting and I've contacted the rental company who were as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

A tow company told me "do what you like - it's private land" - but towing surely isn't that easy right?

I'm not sure what the Gardai can do either.

Any tips/advise/tricks welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Contact the rental company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Contact the rental company

I did - several times on several channels and they've done nothing. They've claimed they tried contacting the driver, but I really doubt they have. If I'm renting and the rental company calls -I answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

Short of hooking a tow rope to the car and dragging it from your spot there is nothing else you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There was a similar thread a while ago where someone suggested jacking it up and lowering it onto biscuit tin lids and then pushing it out of the way.

Try that and take pictures. I'm intrigued by how well it works.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Leaving aside the rental cars tresspass, if it has been there at that spot for any amount of time could you report it as abandoned vechile to the guards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Manach wrote: »
    Leaving aside the rental cars tresspass, if it has been there at that spot for any amount of time could you report it as abandoned vechile to the guards?

I don't think they'd do anything on private property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I'm guessing this is on an appartement complex? If yes, contact the management company they should be able to take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Clamp it! Release fee price of clamp and alternative parking costs and ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

wexie wrote: »
    I don't think they'd do anything on private property?

True, I lived in an apartment and an abandoned vehicle was left for 10 months before it was finally removed by the management company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In the other thread the op left the car there for a week or more in their spot.

Management company didn't want anything to do with it and it was clamped but then so was his car.
    The clamp was removed from offenders vehicle and it may have been removed by car owner.

You could have a tow company come and remove it.

Once private property council or Garda will not get involved.

Jack car up and move it is also an option.

If you get clamped send the bill onto the rental company.

• Advertisement

Nuw wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is on an appartement complex? If yes, contact the management company they should be able to take it from there.

Yup, it's apartments. Management company said they can clamp. Even so, they still didn't clamp it.
    Clamp it! Release fee price of clamp and alternative parking costs and ...

Yup, that's what might happen - although, technically it's the opposite of what I want to happen!
    In the other thread the op left the car there for a week or more in their spot.

Management company didn't want anything to do with it and it was clamped but then so was his car.
    The clamp was removed from offenders vehicle and it may have been removed by car owner.

Once private property council or Garda will not get involved.

Jack car up and move it is also an option.

If you get clamped send the bill onto the rental company.

Would love to get the car removed, I'm just not sure of the legalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Would a tow company come when told they'd have to recover their costs from either the renter or the tow company?

Or would they want to be paid on the spot?

amcalester wrote: »
    There was a similar thread a while ago where someone suggested jacking it up and lowering it onto biscuit tin lids and then pushing it out of the way.

Try that and take pictures. I'm intrigued by how well it works.

Would love to give that a lash!

Only problem is I'd be moving it into someone else's spot and just moving the problem around.

Rental company could remove it if they really wanted.

Keep at them ringing and ringing.

Tell them they have the day to remove or you will be forced to remove and will forward on the towing company details on where to recover it.

I wouldn't give them name or your own address details though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Ring the rental company and tell them the car has had all its windows broken and the wheels removed and see if they react then, as OP's have said 'd move it out of your spot and let it become a headache for the property management company then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Try that biscuit tin lids thing. Is there anywhere else you could move it to that won't be blocking someone else's space? Even outside the complex? Not sure how well the lids will word. Would plastic trays have the same affect?

Wheety wrote: »
    Try that biscuit tin lids thing. Is there anywhere else you could move it to that won't be blocking someone else's space? Even outside the complex? Not sure how well the lids will word. Would plastic trays have the same affect?

It's a super tight car park so in the complex isn't an option.

I'm tempted to say all the windows have been smashed in alright...they'll be out fairly quick then haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

These would be handy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5evHL7jtTM

vehicle-dollies-car-moving-dollies-Car-mover.jpg_50x50.jpg
    El Inho wrote: »
    Would love to give that a lash!

Only problem is I'd be moving it into someone else's spot and just moving the problem around.

Move it, but not into a spot. A dead corner, somewhere where mgt company will have to move it pronto. They won't be long doing it then.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

exactly the job I was thinking of haha - One more sleep and I'll be off to Halfords.

I know what I would be doing with it but it ain't legal or allowed to be said on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Advertisement