Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake upgrades?

Options
  • 24-04-2018 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have a hybrid bike with what I think are standard v tektro brakes very similar to these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/tektro-926al-mini-v-brake/rp-prod34580;jsessionid=B9hzKKummdFurqRJxY3UdWHM.58487e14-cc51-3897-9170-cd2e852b113b

I've had to adjust the brakes several times since I bought the bike a year ago. There's been a few times where they haven't been tight enough and the brake lever comes too far to the handlebar.

I've adjusted the barrel adjuster and needed to pull the cable through in the brakes to tighten them but now the dust cover on the cable is sort of squishing up when the brakes are applied. Also the cable seems a bit frayed in the nut where it's tightened.

Can I get better brakes cables or anything that will require less adjustment? I'm going to the bike shop today and I don't mind spending some money to upgrade the brakes themselves to something better if that's an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What make/model?

Are they long reach brakes?

Disk or caliper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Sorry, hit save too soon initially.

I think the brakes are pretty standard (cheap) v brakes. I'm wondering could I get a better set of brakes and cables?

I think the brakes are pretty standard (cheap) v brakes. I'm wondering could I get a better set of brakes and cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

dont think "better" cables would make a hughe difference. I have one of these as front brake, and they work very good.
    https://www.rosebikes.com/article/magura-hs-11-easymount-rim-brake--2017-/aid:2659873

• Advertisement

Just back from the bike shop. It needs new pads and cables. The guy said pads should do about 1500 miles (I think) but the wear can vary depending on how hard the bike is being used. Also road salt apparently is a nuisance for contaminating and eating brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

veganrun wrote: »
    Just back from the bike shop. It needs new pads and cables. The guy said pads should do about 1500 miles (I think) but the wear can vary depending on how hard the bike is being used. Also road salt apparently is a nuisance for contaminating and eating brake pads.

Your LBS is right. This winter in particular has been very harsh on my bike too. Your bike will feel much better with new cables and pads.
    P.s. clean your pads regularly and they will last longer.

Advertisement