Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in June

Options
  • 24-04-2018 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Last week I received notification that my Green Card application was accepted so myself and my wife are moving to Florida in June. We are going to live with my mother-in-law close to the Tampa area and jobs have been arranged. Just looking to get any advice from people who have moved over on what I should do initially when I get there that may help the transition.

We are leaving from Dublin so when I get to immigration I hand up my pack to the officer and get taken into a room is that correct? Do they ask you anymore questions?
    Also probably a stupid question but I do need to get a new ESTA?

Any rough time-line when my green card will arrive in Florida? I read somewhere it could take 120 days but that seems like a long time. The sooner the better so I can go and get my social security number.

My wife kept her Bank of America account open and added my name to her account a few years back, will this be sufficient to get a phone contract and credit card to build up my rating? We have been lodging money to it when we visited.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Last week I received notification that my Green Card application was accepted so myself and my wife are moving to Florida in June. We are going to live with my mother-in-law close to the Tampa area and jobs have been arranged. Just looking to get any advice from people who have moved over on what I should do initially when I get there that may help the transition.

We are leaving from Dublin so when I get to immigration I hand up my pack to the officer and get taken into a room is that correct? Do they ask you anymore questions?

Correct, in my case they asked about where I was planning on living, but it was all small talk.

Also probably a stupid question but I do need to get a new ESTA?
    I don't think so. If you have a valid one you're fine but I don't think you need one any more, i haven't applied for one in years

Any rough time-line when my green card will arrive in Florida? I read somewhere it could take 120 days but that seems like a long time. The sooner the better so I can go and get my social security number.

I think I got mine in about 60 days. But, it may just depend on how busy they are.

My wife kept her Bank of America account open and added my name to her account a few years back, will this be sufficient to get a phone contract and credit card to build up my rating? We have been lodging money to it when we visited.

Yes and no. We did the same, you'll have to start with her naming you on one of her cards. It took a year before anyone would give me a credit card, eventually Discover gave me a card with a $500 limit. Once we did that for a few months then I had a rating and CC offers started coming in the mail.

Cheers

Answers above!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You definitely do not need an ESTA which is for people travelling without any kind of visa or green card and who are visiting the US for no more than 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Cheers

When you were filling in your DS260 online did you not request a social security number to be issued?

Green card within 6 weeks and as far as I know some will employ you based on the stamp in your passport.

Was in the US before Christmas and went to BB&T bank and asked for a secured credit card. They basically put as much as you like secured in a savings account which you can't access. They will issue a credit card with the limit to the amount in the account. It's a great way to build up your own credit rating independently from your wife. I am sure Bank of America do similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Should be pretty straight forward. At Dublin airport we were asked into the office as a family, handed over our sealed x-rays etc. Pretty much small talk about where we were going to be moving and then they finally said welcome to America. No ESTA required as stated because of the visa in your passport. Green card should take about 60 days and you will need to get a secured credit card to build your credit up.
    Moved nearly 7 years ago and live near Siesta Key in Sarasota FL, about 45 minutes South of Tampa. You should check out Sarasota its great for family's and not overly big like Tampa. I am a local Realtor so if you have any questions on schools or neighborhood's fell free to ask.

Advertisement