Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incubus, September 11th, Bord Gais Energy Theatre

Options
  • 24-04-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Tickets €55.65 on sale this Friday, 27th 9am

https://mcd.ie/incubus-announce-two-irish-dates/

Strange choice of venue, as was the National Stadium in 2007.
    Will this be all seating??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

J-C wrote: »
    Will this be all seating??

Its a fully seated venue. I saw The Cranberries there last year, as soon as they came on stage most people on the ground floor stood up and stayed standing for the whole gig. No security was forcing people to sit. I expect the same for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

lc180 wrote: »
    Its a fully seated venue. I saw The Cranberries there last year, as soon as they came on stage most people on the ground floor stood up and stayed standing for the whole gig. No security was forcing people to sit. I expect the same for this.

Same was in National stadium in 2007.

Any idea how to get a code for pre sale?

EDIT:

No code required. Presale tickets available now. Just grab them. Use link from post above.

@phunkadelic - legend mate. THX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not too gone on the last two albums. Tempted, but at €55 , I'd have to be very very eager to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭J-C

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not too gone on the last two albums.

Didn't enjoy If Not Now, When? but thought 8 was a big improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Complete opposite for me. I'm enjoying a couple of songs on 8, but really enjoy INNW. That's the great thing about them, every album has a different style.

Although I enjoyed it at the time, I think A Crow Left of the Murder is probably the weakest album, Light Grenades not far ahead, though it does have one of my favourite songs on it.

Morning View doesn't get a lot of listens from me, but mostly because it's more of a chill-out soundtrack.

I listened to 8 a few times, and it just feels like a heavy pop album mainly. INNW was ok. I enjoyed Light Grenades, and really like A Crow Left of the Murder.
    Also like most of what came before that, even though the first album is very much a Faith No More rip off in places, which is no bad thing! It's still good.

I'll give 8 another listen now.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Not too gone on the last two albums. Tempted, but at €55 , I'd have to be very very eager to go.

Dublin prices are way higher than the UK.
    £42 in Belfast ,£44 in Manchester and £46 in London but 65-69 euro in Dublin.
    Its very saucy .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Zardoz wrote: »
    Dublin prices are way higher than the UK.
    £42 in Belfast ,£44 in Manchester and £46 in London but 65-69 euro in Dublin.

Venue might have something to do with the price too.

Passenger wrote: »
    Venue might have something to do with the price too.

Yes ,events there seem to have a bit of a markup .
    Nice building but its very expensive,drink is crazy money in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,409 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

picked up a ticket there

€66.25 for a seat in the circle

PTH2009 wrote: »
    picked up a ticket there

€66.25 for a seat in the circle

:eek:

sugarman wrote: »
    Might have went if tickets were in the €40-45 range ...€65 is too much for a band whos best days have passed them near on 15 years now. Their last 2 albums are shockingly bad. Choice of venue doesn't help their cause either.

Eactly. While all their contemporaries from that era are playing gigs for €20 in The Voodoo Lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

This gig would have better suited in the Olympia and the tickets would have been cheaper.

I've paid the €66 because I haven't seen them live in 15 years and in reality that's actually on the cheaper end of the scale for tickets.

The Vamps (who?) are looking for €74 a ticket.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all kind of crazy money for gigs but it's the new reality for music; artists make their money from touring rather than album sales.

seamus wrote: »
    I've paid the €66 because I haven't seen them live in 15 years and in reality that's actually on the cheaper end of the scale for tickets.

The Vamps (who?) are looking for €74 a ticket.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all kind of crazy money for gigs but it's the new reality for music; artists make their money from touring rather than album sales.

Yeah high gig prices is the reality of today and for the avid gig goer it's the wrong time to be one

Think of them as experiences and a joy of life

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bands don't make hardly anything from album sales anymore, touring is where the cash is at, look at all the paid meet and greets and vip packages

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah high gig prices is the reality of today and for the avid gig goer it's the wrong time to be one

Think of them as experiences and a joy of life

Gig prices do suck at time, but I think if it's a good experience then it's worth it.

I went to see Rammstein in the 02 a few years ago. I remember quite a few people I knew bualking at the price. Fair enough, it wasn't a cheap ticket, but I had the time of my life at that gig: it was worth every single penny.

As for those that wouldn't go on principle, because it was just 20-30 quid beyond what they were willing to pay, I hope all them extra pizzas or whatever they were able to afford down the years were worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

I wonder has the price of pizza increased in line with the price of gig tickets over the last 10 years.

The huge increase in gig tickets over the last 10 years is fine if you only go to one or 2 a year, if you go to a lot then you're really getting hit hard.

SteM wrote: »
    I wonder has the price of pizza increased in line with the price of gig tickets over the last 10 years.

The huge increase in gig tickets over the last 10 years is fine if you only go to one or 2 a year, if you go to a lot then you're really getting hit hard.

Prob spend just over €1000 a year on concerts etc a year and that's only on tickets too

Look I work for it and sadly don't have another half/kids so it's easier for me to go to stuff and id tend to go solo to stuff. It's my thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Bands don't make money from albums any more so they tour and charge as much as possible instead. Think of all the music you get now for next to nothing and think back to when albums were 15 / 20 euro a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Might have went if tickets were in the €40-45 range ...€65 is too much for a band whos best days have passed them near on 15 years now. Their last 2 albums are shockingly bad. Choice of venue doesn't help their cause either.

Have to agree. Was big into these lads up to about 10 years ago but recent output is very average. The Tivoli would've been ideal. I'd be surprised if they actually fill the BGE at those prices.

I'd be surprised if they actually fill the BGE at those prices.

And with a capacity of 2,100?? Not a chance.

If you look at music consumption as a whole though:

15 years ago you may have bought two albums a month at a tenner each, that's €240 a year. And gone to 4 gigs at €40 average. That's €400 in total.

Now you don't buy albums, you have a Spotify subscription for €120 a year and go to four gigs at €70 each.

You're still paying €400. And getting a much better music selection in on top of it.

So that's very simplified, but you get the idea. Some people (like me) who would have bought albums but maybe gone to a single gig every year or two, are doing very well out of it. Serial gig-goers are probably getting reamed.

I think it stands to reason though that the people who go to a lot of gigs would also have purchased a lot of physical media in the past, which they don't have to now. So on balance they're probably not as badly off as they feel they are, it's just that €70 tickets for gigs feels really painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

seamus wrote: »
    If you look at music consumption as a whole though:

15 years ago you may have bought two albums a month at a tenner each, that's €240 a year. And gone to 4 gigs at €40 average. That's €400 in total.

Now you don't buy albums, you have a Spotify subscription for €120 a year and go to four gigs at €70 each.

You're still paying €400. And getting a much better music selection in on top of it.

So that's very simplified, but you get the idea. Some people (like me) who would have bought albums but maybe gone to a single gig every year or two, are doing very well out of it. Serial gig-goers are probably getting reamed.

I think it stands to reason though that the people who go to a lot of gigs would also have purchased a lot of physical media in the past, which they don't have to now. So on balance they're probably not as badly off as they feel they are, it's just that €70 tickets for gigs feels really painful.

So you agree with me. That's what I said.

PCros wrote: »
    This gig would have better suited in the Olympia and the tickets would have been cheaper.

Gigs in the Bord Gais theatre are all very expensive.
    The owners of the place must be making a healthy profit ,considering they bought the place for half nothing .

So you agree with me. That's what I said.
    :)
    I guess I was responding to the "price of a pizza" bit. The price of gigs has been affected by factors outside of normal inflation.

Is everyone that naive to assume the bands are the ones pocketing the extra cash here?

Its true that bands make most of their money from touring these days but the gigs promoters, ticket sellers and venues here in Ireland are the ones ripping us off.

Theyre playing Belfast for £42 days before hand, literally a 2hr drive from Dublin for £42, which is less than €50 using the same promoter, ticket seller and are in a slightly smaller but similar venue. An extra €17 in paddy tax.

They get away with it because they can and the general attitude of 'Ah sure, thats how it is now'. If only people voted with their feet we wouldn't be taken for a ride so often.

Instead of going to see bands I like often, I find myself only going to see bands I REALLY like at seldom due to ticket pricing.

You'd spend at least €20 getting to Belfast. Add in some food etc. I agree with you about going to see bands often. I'm only going to see bands I REALLY likfe from now on. I'm done with Three Arena gigs too. Overpriced, and not a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Is it not the promoter sets these prices? Promoter see's there might be an opportunity to bring band to Ireland and weighs up the demand, prices the band (band get set fee and extras like merchandise), prices the venue. Works out how much to sell tickets for, band get set fee and it's up to the local promoter to promote the gig and get people to it?

After all the local promoter has the local knowledge; knows how much people are willing to pay, what the set up is in every country. Otherwise bands would need to be have economic insight into what people are willing to pay in every country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

You'd spend at least €20 getting to Belfast. Add in some food etc. I agree with you about going to see bands often. I'm only going to see bands I REALLY likfe from now on. I'm done with Three Arena gigs too. Overpriced, and not a good experience.

I think MCD etc will see a backlash in years to come if they keep having so many bands playing and at these kind of prices. For a lot of shows, it's the same music heads that will go to them, and a person only has so much time and money to spend.
    They have way too much outdoor and stadia acts booked in for the summer again (Croker, Aviva, Kilmainham, Iveagh, Malahide, Marlay, Trinity), and I don't see much of it selling out. Then again, they did it last year too. So it must still be profitable to have acts over, overcharge and sell about 70-80% of tickets.

Advertisement