Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What browser do you use?

Options
  • 24-04-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

There's been similar threads in the past, but I figure its worth a refresh.

The questions in the title, what browser do you use and why?

I had used firefox for a long time and switched to Opera because of a battery drain issue I had with firefox. But recently I installed Microsoft Edge. Now, I'm not an Edge user on any other platform but it is actually very slick on Android. It's fast and easy on battery, and it renders pages well. I'm actually surprised how much I like it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser - because I'm a sucker for mass produced hype and paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭GIMP

There's been similar threads in the past, but I figure its worth a refresh.

The questions in the title, what browser do you use and why?

I had used firefox for a long time and switched to Opera because of a battery drain issue I had with firefox. But recently I installed Microsoft Edge. Now, I'm not an Edge user on any other platform but it is actually very slick on Android. It's fast and easy on battery, and it renders pages well. I'm actually surprised how much I like it.

Brave browser for well over a year now, great at blocking advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Firefox, NoScript and uBlock Origin Add-ons work as well for mobile Firefox, as they do for desktop Firefox, now.

Fire.onion to access one very popular P2P site. The one even your granny probably knows about..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Chrome on Android and on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Used to use a whole host of different browsers but these days I just stick with chrome as it works well and syncs with all my devices.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Used to use a whole host of different browsers but these days I just stick with chrome as it works well and syncs with all my devices.

I'm the same. Changed to Firefox and Brave, but eventually went back to Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I use Brave, its chromium based so very similar to chrome, has Ad Block, Tracking Block, 3rd Party Cookies Blocked, HTTPS, A Script Blocker and Fingerprinting Protection all built in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

How do i know?will i turn off my pc and turn it back on again? :)

Free adblocker browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Mi Browser works grand tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use Brave, its chromium based so very similar to chrome, has Ad Block, Tracking Block, 3rd Party Cookies Blocked, HTTPS, A Script Blocker and Fingerprinting Protection all built in

Same. Also use Adaway to block ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Samsung Browser, I love it, it's really fast and I wouldn't dream of using anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ad blocking at the hosts level - stops in app ads not just browser ads.

Chrome all the way baby. Not sync'd with desktop, if I want to punt across I use keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

I use Opera and Brave.

Going to try out edge looking at the recommendations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I use lightening Browser because it has a minimalist interface, no status bar on the bottom and best of all slide in from the right shows list of bookmarks, on the left open tabs. I think it's perfect for small screens. I often like to try out new apps but this one is a keeper.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=acr.browser.barebones&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

I use the stock Samsung browser, couldn't be bothered with any of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Chrome. I find it handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Dolphin,Brave and Tor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Chrome, it knows what I want to search for before I do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Samsung browser. Best I've used hands down. Used it on many Sony Xperias and now on my LG v30 plus.
    guil wrote: »
    I use the stock Samsung browser, couldn't be bothered with any of the others.

I've just installed Samsung browser now. I had read good reviews about it, but never tried it. Seems very slick. Fast, add-ons and a nice UI. I think I have 10 browsers installed at this point... I think I'll have to make a jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think I have 10 browsers installed at this point... I think I'll have to make a jump!

Jump into the future, Alanstrainor.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fro9.android.app.textbrowserfree

Joking aside, amusingly, reading the comments, some people use this to quickly bypass script blocked newspaper articles.

There does actually seem to be a thirst for a Lynx (Wikipedia) type browser on Android. Old XDA thread with a compiled Lynx binary, for Android..

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1188883

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Opera Mini Beta if I need to save on data.
    Chrome usually on WiFi or if I need to login to https.
    Chrome has data saving also, but I like the built in ad blocking of Opera.

Have also used Samsung and Edge from time to time.

They all work well to be honest.

Advertisement