Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT new rules question

Options
  • 24-04-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As some of you have noticed, I put up my '87 Mercedes 190E 2.6 for sale a few days ago.

The car gets very little use and the classic insurance renewal is coming up mid May and I wanted to avoid paying an extra €100 for a car I'm not really using. But my quote just came in and it is very low. So I'm thinking of holding onto the car for a little longer and getting a 2 year NCT. Is that possible / do I understand the new rules correctly?

The car is first registered on 09/10/2017 and the NCT is valid until 08/10/2018. Now can someone confirm that if I NCT it early, say 10/05/2018, it will get an NCT until 08/10/2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I can't confirm anything but my understanding is you will only get 2 years NCT after 20/5/18 any time before that will give you 1 year from the voluntary date you put it through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

May the 20th is the first date the new rules will produce a 2 year cert, so don't go in there before then.

From what I can see if you have a valid cert and NCT your car on, or after that date you'll get NCT'd until 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cheers lads. If I don't sell the car before then, I'll get a new 27 month NCT on it after May 20th :)

Advertisement