Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Alone

Options
  • 24-04-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Would a 17 year old need parental consent to fly alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

12 is the general age at which an airline will let you fly alone. At 17 it is never an issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think under 16 is the upper limit for parental consent.
    I recall 10 years ago EI required guardian signatures at checkin for kids under this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

What if its a single seater ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

16 is the age for most airlines, the new problem is immigration in some countries would require a letter of consent until your 18.

I know INIS in dublin require this.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Flew with Ryanair on my own to the UK when I was 17, no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭flazio

L1011 wrote: »
    12 is the general age at which an airline will let you fly alone. At 17 it is never an issue.

It took me a moment to realise you were all talking about taking a flight rather than controlling an aircraft so imagine my reaction to this statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are teenage FOs around but even then there's always two pilots!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

andy_g wrote: »
    16 is the age for most airlines, the new problem is immigration in some countries would require a letter of consent until your 18.

I know INIS in dublin require this.

Good few years ago now I remember being a 17 year old, completely not used to flying, going through Dublin airport by myself and I got a Stern talking to by a member of passport control in T1 (would have been Gardaí wouldn't it) for not having a letter of consent to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Good few years ago now I remember being a 17 year old, completely not used to flying, going through Dublin airport by myself and I got a Stern talking to by a member of passport control in T1 (would have been Gardaí wouldn't it) for not having a letter of consent to travel.

Yeah at the time it would of been Gards now its INIS. And their worse for the letters.

Advertisement