Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless HKC Alarm

Options
  • 24-04-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys ,

Im looking for some help. I have recently purchases my first house , standard 3 bed end of terrace house. I plan to renovate the house completely in approx 2 years in the mean time I need to get an alarm installed. I have looked into Wireless and have read great things about HKC. Can someone advise a ball park figure how much I am looking for getting one installed and what it will include ?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I'd be interested in an answer to that one as well. I'll tag along here.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are going fully wireless it would really depend on how many wireless devices are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

As a rule of thumb, allow €300 for your control equipment and add €85 per door or window or motion sensor, very approx mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Anyone got some recommendations on getting a reasonable quote ?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Get about 3 installation company out to do a survey & give you a proper survey and do you out a proper system design proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ilsilenzio

Hi,

Installed Aritech wired system about 30 yrs ago, modified it a few times since, but recent hiccoughs made me decide to go fully wireless. Am a DIY (not an expert).

Installing Quantum 70 and have connected up contacts for 3 doors on to Zones 1, 2, and 3--- AOK so far --now for sensors. HKC s RFCS. Am a little confused on difference between ZONES and POINTS --- some data refers to 40 points while User Manual has a blank list for 10.

Also any help on installation of PIR near the Keypad and coordinating it delay wise with Exit Entry timing would help, and be greatly appreciated. I know the MKC is aimed at professional installers but their data is a bit obscure !

As an aside could I compliment you on your patience and help-- especially with chap some time ago was pushing his Yale agenda !!!!

Thanks

Point refers to point ID. Your probably not using that so just stick to the zones.
    If the PiR is near the keypad the zone should be set up as Access. This will ignore activations from the PiR during entry/exit times.

Many thanks for quick and clear response. One last minor issue --- components / sensors are currently temporarily held in place with blutak during trials. As all now working have you a view on securing with small dots of superglue as opposed to traditional screws !- or am I being too god damned lazy or amateurish. Would the glue affect sensetivity re gross/pulse.

Have been most impressed with volume/ patience/ expertise etc in this and your other replies in other threads. THANKS

Don`t use superglue, blue tack, double sided tape, screw them on, then they cant fall off

+1
    Screw them on properly.
    Anything else will also affect the sensitivity of the inertias.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Many thanks for earlier help in my installation of Quantum system--- all going extremely well, with no hiccoughs or false alarms.

One question, one "comment"---

1) The LED's on the PIRs appear not illuminate (steady or blinking) whether armed or otherwise. Is this normal, to preserve battery ??

2) I question the value of PIRS-- if the buggers get past the first line of defence, without the alarm going off, then they have 10/20 or 30 seconds delay (on PIR near Panel) to do what they will. !!. I accept that this is akin to asking "how long is a piece of string".

With reference to point No 2, I would question the wisdom of the packaging of the HKC Quantum pack with ONE Contact, ONE Inertia and TWO Pirs. I have the typical 4 bed semi and purchased extra Inertias for windows. I would have preferred 2 inertias instead of the 2 PIRs. Or am I missing something. This is all the more appropriate as HKC do not officially supply the end user consumer.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

1) The LED's on the PIRs appear not illuminate (steady or blinking) whether armed or otherwise. Is this normal, to preserve battery ??

Yes. No LED's on to preserve the battery.

2) I question the value of PIRS-- if the buggers get past the first line of defence, without the alarm going off, then they have 10/20 or 30 seconds delay (on PIR near Panel) to do what they will. !!. I accept that this is akin to asking "how long is a piece of string".

There should be no delay on the PIRs. Are they setup correctly?. They should be programmed for "Access" and not "exit/entry".
    With reference to point No 2, I would question the wisdom of the packaging of the HKC Quantum pack with ONE Contact, ONE Inertia and TWO Pirs. I have the typical 4 bed semi and purchased extra Inertias for windows. I would have preferred 2 inertias instead of the 2 PIRs. Or am I missing something. This is all the more appropriate as HKC do not officially supply the end user consumer.

Most decent suppliers will swap the PIRs for shocks if you ask. The pack is just a basic pack to get you started.

Thanks Fred Funk,

Will investigate PIR/ Delay/ Exit Entry etc--- one of the PIRs is very close to Panel/ Keypad and thus the need for delay to "escape" after setting and avoiding alarm activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

Hi mate did you get pir problem sorted?

My initial "problem" was that I did not earlier appreciate (and manual/ instruction sheet did not clarify) that the PIR LED's do not illuminate to preserve battery power. While I agree that this is logical, it robs them of a previous quoted advantage--- they were claimed as somewhat of a deterrent in that a burglar on the outside, looking in a window could spot the LED's and move on to another victims house !

With regard to Access/ Entry Exit setting on the PIRs I rightly or wrongly set them as Entry Exit to link with the Entry/ exit timer on setting/ unsetting the alarm-- as the Pirs now allow me time to exit, or go upstairs to bed on a Full Setting before becoming active. Descending the stairs in the morning I have the prescribed time delay to unset the system.

I am very satisfied with the system, but as already commented the contents of the Quantum consumer pack is a bit limited for most typical needs. Also I find it very strange that the cover / lid for the outside SABB is not included in the pack. It has to be purchased separately and while moderately priced, that is not the issue. I also appreciate that the pack is aimed at professional installers and HKC do not encourage DIY installation. I am handy and dont need a monitored system.

Thanks to all contributors

Hi pirs wireless can and cannot have led on or off. If on the batteries wont last. The pir hallway would be set as access, to tie in with front entry door. With Quantum packet cover sold seprate. Ex bell as like pirs if leds left on the batteries wouldnt last long. Did you fit yourself?

Yes, fitted it myself. Without going back through the panel I feel I may have got confused in describing Access as Exit Entry or vice versa as the Pir's are acting in tune with the Entry / exit time delay.

System is working as expected / hoped for and despite being a DIY (er) I can usually work through projects--- with help from professionals such as here !!

Thanks all

Any time feel free to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

ilsilenzio wrote: »
    I am very satisfied with the system, but as already commented the contents of the Quantum consumer pack is a bit limited for most typical needs. Also I find it very strange that the cover / lid for the outside SABB is not included in the pack. It has to be purchased separately and while moderately priced, that is not the issue. I also appreciate that the pack is aimed at professional installers and HKC do not encourage DIY installation. I am handy and dont need a monitored system.

Thanks to all contributors

Most company's have screened lids so buying the pack with a blank would not suit them.
    Did you get the second battery pack for the outside bell or did you lean the led off?

If you leave the system working on battery only for the outside SABB with the LED`s blinking, it will only last 9 mths to 1 year. Fit an in line 12 v psu to power the SABB, then it will last forever, well almost.

There is a reason why the Quantum kit is not supplied with a lid for the SABB, most installers will have their own screened lids...........

• Advertisement

Thanks for comments. Now I appreciate the lid issue. However I still find it strange that HKC bother with the "consumer" style of packaging.....surely this is ott as they actively discourage amateur installation. I bet that typical professional installers rarely use only the components included in the fancy box. Two relatives of mine are considering the pack and neither want PIRs !....rightly or wrongly.

At the moment the LEDs on the SABB are off, I will investigate the alternatives later.

ilsilenzio wrote: »
    Thanks for comments. Now I appreciate the lid issue. However I still find it strange that HKC bother with the "consumer" style of packaging.....surely this is ott as they actively discourage amateur installation. I bet that typical professional installers rarely use only the components included in the fancy box. Two relatives of mine are considering the pack and neither want PIRs !....rightly or wrongly.

At the moment the LEDs on the SABB are off, I will investigate the alternatives later.

You can also get a pack without the PIRs plus you can also ask the wholesalers to swam items out that dont suit. Please be aware pack 1 does not come with an external bell.

If you leave the LEDs off then the one battery pack will last up to 7 years.

If you leave leds off will last, but wont last anything like 7 years, iv been leaving leds off and have yo change batteries about every 4 years. As somebody did say iv you get a12v 1amp small psu and connect to bell box. You can leave leds on full time. But for tamper bell tampering or ripping bell off wall you will need battery pack.

Using a 12v power supply with back up battery is better option, even allows for proper functionality of the Sabb Leds.

Just dont add the battery pack as these are not rechargeable batteries.
    There is a rechargeable battery you can get for this purpose which works with the external bell.

You could have got the packet without pirs, 2 extra shocks instead. Pir hall way would be set as access zone tied in with front door open/close. And leds on pirs set off. Because if on your cr123 battery will last no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

altor wrote: »
    Using a 12v power supply with back up battery is better option, even allows for proper functionality of the Sabb Leds.

Just dont add the battery pack as these are not rechargeable batteries.
    There is a rechargeable battery you can get for this purpose which works with the external bell.

Hi Altor
    I'm interested in your comment re rechargeable battery pack....SABB
    1) Is this a HKC branded product?
    2) Has it a part number?
    3) If Yes or No to the above have you a recommendation/source which you can share?

As always thanks in advance.

Stinky45 wrote: »
    Hi Altor
    I'm interested in your comment re rechargeable battery pack....SABB
    1) Is this a HKC branded product?
    2) Has it a part number?
    3) If Yes or No to the above have you a recommendation/source which you can share?

As always thanks in advance.

Hi Stinky45,

Yes it is available in the wholesalers.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=452146&stc=1&d=1527787181

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

Thank you Altor

Now that does look very neat...

I take it looking at the connector that there is a supply point on the SABB board for the recharge from the PSU supply which would also have to be attached through to the SABB? I do have the HKC Quantum 70 manual is there a particular page/diagram where these connections can be seen?

Thanks again

Stinky45 wrote: »
    Thank you Altor

Now that does look very neat...

I take it looking at the connector that there is a supply point on the SABB board for the recharge from the PSU supply which would also have to be attached through to the SABB? I do have the HKC Quantum 70 manual is there a particular page/diagram where these connections can be seen?

Thanks again

Yes that is correct, there is a 12V input on the Sabb to the left of the tamper switch input which supplies the bell from the power supply.
    The battery is connected in where the battery pack would normally go to the right of the tamper.

• Advertisement

If you remove the bell from the back plate the battery holder compartment is under the red tape.

452176.jpg

Advertisement