Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Rewarding" a good tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

e.r wrote: »
    Possibly, but the op can give a glowing reference.

No I mean we sometimes have to prove to eg social welfare that we have paid every . They would pick up o a missed month.
    I think the fuel idea is great. Oil or coal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- I think tenants and landlords- should both be lobbying the Minister to allow recognition of the relationship between tenants and small scale landlords- to try and regularise the situation where it was both possible and plausible for a landlord to offer a discount to a good tenant- without tying themselves up in knots, devaluing a property- or putting themselves in a position where the goodwill associated with one tenant became inherited by another tenant- who has done nothing to earn that good will............

How about a letter writing campaign? The Minister's agenda thus far- has been to try to drive landlords from the sector- regardless of the fact that many tenants and landlords are perfectly happy with one another. He is playing to the media and to a small but concerted constituency of advocacy groups- who are only focusing on the needs of some people- and don't want to admit that there is a perfectly satisfactory quid-pro-quo among many tenants and landlords.

I think its time to drive this home to the Minister- and I don't see why the people in this thread wouldn't make a good start on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think its time to drive this home to the Minister- and I don't see why the people in this thread wouldn't make a good start on it.

It is a great idea, especially if people are in his constituency, the only downfall I see is that there most likely will be an election in the coming months either before or after the budget. That puts us back to square one with a new minister sprouting new sh1te.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The problem I see is that you are effectively reducing the rent. My advice is a card and a nice bottle of something around Xmas and leave it at that, you're running a business and you should do that with all due consideration to your duties as a LL but also maximise your profits.

In my many years as a tenant the only time I want to see or hear from my landlord was when I needed something fixed. I don't want 'a nice bottle' or 20 quid One For All voucher or whatever.

I never wanted to see or hear from my landlord in any capacity other than getting their property fixed. I'd be very annoyed to receive a present from them. That might sound petty but I'd want them to stay out of my business.

I rented for 15 years and never had a problem with a landlord.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    In my many years as a tenant the only time I want to see or hear from my landlord was when I needed something fixed. I don't want 'a nice bottle' or 20 quid One For All voucher or whatever.

I never wanted to see or hear from my landlord in any capacity other than getting their property fixed. I'd be very annoyed to receive a present from them. That might sound petty but I'd want them to stay out of my business.

I rented for 15 years and never had a problem with a landlord.

I hear you.
    A straight forward discount on the rent- in recognition of you being a decent tenant- but done in such a way that the landlord isn't hamstringing themselves with subsequent tenants- or devaluing their property- is the way to go. Its not rocket science- it could be easily implemented- all it takes is tenants and landlords to insist that its in the interests of both parties to implement such a scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Two things you could look at doing.
    1. Invest in the property in terms if insulation, more efficient boiler, etc for your tenant. This should increase the value of the property and reduce the cost to the tenant.
    2. Return some of the deposit to a good tenant over time. The main reason for a deposit is to cover risks associated with a bad tenant. A good tenant could be rewarded based on the being lower risk. You wouldn't want to let the deposit go to zero, but with new tenancies, deposit, first and last month rent becoming the norm, there may be some wiggle room here over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The simple solution to this is allow the landlord set a market rent when there is a new tenant in the property. Why should an incoming tenant, irrespective of his means, enjoy a discount on market rent, owing to happenstance? When a property is let at under the odds it is often the higher calibre tenants who are going to avail of it, since the landlord will be very picky about who the new tenant is.

Advertisement