Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending hall into porch

Options
  • 24-04-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

We currently have a small hall in the house and we are looking extend the hall out into the porch and just having the one front door into the property.

Has anyone done this before and roughly what cost would we be looking at?

Area in total is approx 10ft x 5ft.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The house I live in originally had an open porch (more like an ingress) of about 3x7ft. The majority of the houses either installed a sliding door to create a closed porch, or they (like my folks) moved the front door out to be flush with the front of the house and make the hall bigger.

The electric meter is located in that area, so the esb guy has to ring the bell to get access. That’s the only down side.

I can’t help you with cost, because a number of factors are unknown. Will the ground in the posrch area need to be raised? Will you be getting a new door? Will you be replacing flooring in the hall.....repainting the hall yourself or get a pro to do it? Which county?

You could easily spend 10k doing the job, or much less if your just moving the door, plastering and painting yourself and have a cheap solution for the floor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

PCros wrote: »
    We currently have a small hall in the house and we are looking extend the hall out into the porch and just having the one front door into the property.

Has anyone done this before and roughly what cost would we be looking at?

Area in total is approx 10ft x 5ft.

Thanks in advance.

Start with planning permission

What part of Ireland are you in - this could have a big impact on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Thanks for the replies.

@goz83 - We have a porch with a sliding door and then a wooden door into the house so like your folks we would be bringing out the hall to be flush with the front of the house. Our ESB and Gas meters are external in the laneway which is great.

We are based in North County Dublin and indeed would be getting one new front door and raising floor in the porch. New flooring and would also be required.

@BryanF - The works are internal and don't expand out into the driveway. Why would we need planning permission?

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks for the replies.

@goz83 - We have a porch with a sliding door and then a wooden door into the house so like your folks we would be bringing out the hall to be flush with the front of the house. Our ESB and Gas meters are external in the laneway which is great.

We are based in North County Dublin and indeed would be getting one new front door and raising floor in the porch. New flooring and would also be required.

@BryanF - The works are internal and don't expand out into the driveway. Why would we need planning permission?

Thanks again guys.

So ball park figures (assuming work is restricted to the hallway and extended area) for work would be:

Raise floor €300.
    Dryline, insulate, plaster walls & ceiling €500.
    Flooring fitted @ €70 per metre (assuming ~8 metres) €550.
    Skirting €100.
    Painting €300.
    Door €1200.
    Other €250.

Total €3200

That's just a guess but it should be something in that area unless you do some work yourself.

Great, that's perfect thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Tips from my experience
    Insulate the hell out of it
    Consider the door-floor clearance if you want to have thick tiles/rug on entrance. I put an inset rug into the wooden floor, surrounded by metal floor joiners.
    Install electrical Socket
    Consider the distance from the door to the light of you want a hanging down light shade
    Electric running outside for a PIR type light.

Edit: thumb turn lock on the inside of the door, and no letter box in the door for better insulation.

Tips from my experience
    Insulate the hell out of it
    Consider the door-floor clearance if you want to have thick tiles/rug on entrance. I put an inset rug into the wooden floor, surrounded by metal floor joiners.
    Install electrical Socket
    Consider the distance from the door to the light of you want a hanging down light shade
    Electric running outside for a PIR type light.

Edit: thumb turn lock on the inside of the door, and no letter box in the door for better insulation.

Thanks a mill - great tips and things I wouldn't have copped until after the fact!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks again guys.

Please Ignore misunderstood ‘extending’

Advertisement