Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out regulations

Options
  • 24-04-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

we are moving out from a flat, I received today a mail from the management company and I would like to ask you a few questions - I am foreigner and not fully aware of the regulations.

Note: we have asked if it is possible to move on May 15th (with one month notice) receiving this mail (a part of it):
    <<As per the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 to 2015, new legislation came into effect on the 4th of December 2015 referring to the new required notice period for a tenant living in a property since the 22nd January 2016 is now 56 days (please refer to same). I note you have advised that you are looking to vacate on 15th May 2018 but I should advise you that you are in fact liable until the 11th June 2018>>

So I wrote again saying more or less something like "ok, if I am liable till June 11th, I will go on June 11th". But then I suppose, I have no obligation of showing my flat to anyone before this date, am I wrong? Why would I be bothered? I am renting the flat till June 11th as per regulation, and the landlords did not meet my needs for an earlier date - why now can they ask for me to "prepare" my flat for potential people coming in and check it before June 11th?
    In the mail:
    <<With regards to viewing the Apt to perspective tenants. We would like the opportunity to show the apartment prior to you moving out and will contact you approximately one month before your termination date to discuss suitable viewing times with you for same.>>

---

Another question is about the "professional cleaning":
    <<I have noted your termination date as June 11th as requested and will work with you to arrange the move out and inspection. Here are some procedures which I have put together to make the move out as simple as possible. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask me.
    I would like to arrange a time to meet you on the 8th of May at 12 am so I can come and view the apartment to find out what necessary work if any needs to be carried out after your termination Date. At this point, I will also advise you of what works again, if any, need to be carried out to ensure you receive most if not all your deposit back Please let me know if that is suitable to you for same.. Please note that if required, I can send you professional Cleaners details for your perusal if required, please note that if the apartment is not cleaned to a professional standard you will be charged for the cleaning.>>

I'd like to say that the apartment is in good conditions and it will be cleaned, but what is this about "please note that if the apartment is not cleaned to a professional standard you will be charged for the cleaning"?

---

If anyone has advices for me please, I'd really appreciate.
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

queldy wrote: »
    Hi,

we are moving out from a flat, I received today a mail from the management company and I would like to ask you a few questions - I am foreigner and not fully aware of the regulations.

Note: we have asked if it is possible to move on May 15th (with one month notice) receiving this mail (a part of it):
    <<As per the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 to 2015, new legislation came into effect on the 4th of December 2015 referring to the new required notice period for a tenant living in a property since the 22nd January 2016 is now 56 days (please refer to same). I note you have advised that you are looking to vacate on 15th May 2018 but I should advise you that you are in fact liable until the 11th June 2018>>

So I wrote again saying more or less something like "ok, if I am liable till June 11th, I will go on June 11th". But then I suppose, I have no obligation of showing my flat to anyone before this date, am I wrong? Why would I be bothered? I am renting the flat till June 11th as per regulation, and the landlords did not meet my needs for an earlier date - why now can they ask for me to "prepare" my flat for potential people coming in and check it before June 11th?
    In the mail:
    <<With regards to viewing the Apt to perspective tenants. We would like the opportunity to show the apartment prior to you moving out and will contact you approximately one month before your termination date to discuss suitable viewing times with you for same.>>

---

Another question is about the "professional cleaning":
    <<I have noted your termination date as June 11th as requested and will work with you to arrange the move out and inspection. Here are some procedures which I have put together to make the move out as simple as possible. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask me.
    I would like to arrange a time to meet you on the 8th of May at 12 am so I can come and view the apartment to find out what necessary work if any needs to be carried out after your termination Date. At this point, I will also advise you of what works again, if any, need to be carried out to ensure you receive most if not all your deposit back Please let me know if that is suitable to you for same.. Please note that if required, I can send you professional Cleaners details for your perusal if required, please note that if the apartment is not cleaned to a professional standard you will be charged for the cleaning.>>

I'd like to say that the apartment is in good conditions and it will be cleaned, but what is this about "please note that if the apartment is not cleaned to a professional standard you will be charged for the cleaning"?

---

If anyone has advices for me please, I'd really appreciate.
    Thanks a lot.

Hi again,
    so I will upload one of the document (part of it) they sent us, just want to be sure this is "the accepted procedure" here.
    Am I supposed to have a meeting with them during working time (I work as well, do they care about it?), with "all my belongings removed"? So that means, one month before my moving date I will have to move everything outside, then I can put it back in the flat and leave for the last month? And if some people are coming to view the flat, I am supposed again to remove all my belongings and provide a "professionally cleaned" flat? Is it working like this? If so, I will arrange - but I wonder if this is legally right?

Thank you to all for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

you don't normally have any obligation to allow third parties in to see your flat. They can show it after you have vacated. You will notice they say they would like to have access for this purpose, not that they are entitled to have access for this purpose.

You absolutely do not have to remove your belongings to facilitate this.

If you clean the flat thoroughly you should not have a portion of your security deposit witheld for cleaning. I suspect that paying for a professional clean would not be sensible, you would be better off cleaning yourself and just seeing if they seek to withhold.

These type of letters are necessarily kind of formal to cover the landlords, they may be more reasonable in reality than the letter might lead you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You are under no obligation to allow anyone in to view your home, tell them to bugger off. If they want veiwings then you can try to negotiate leaving at the end of may like you wanted initially. They may claim you agreed to viewings in your lease, but you have a right to peaceful enjoyment which means they cannot show the place without your permission so use that to negotiate leaving when suits you.

Inform them you will not be agreeing for a professional cleaner and will clean the flat to a reasonable standard. Take pictures of absolutely everywhere when you clean the place prior to moving out in case they try to claim you didn't clean it right.

Unless you're have caused excessive wear and tear you should expect your full deposit back. The RTB are very friendly to tenants and most likely you will win any challenge assuming to have proof of what you say, so take pictures.

Advertisement