Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long for SEAI grant to be approved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mine was approved when my car was still on the boat on its way to this country. Tell your dealer to get a move on and push the SEAI.

The dealer is talking as though it's a black box and we just have to wait for it to shake itself out of the system. I'm tempted to ring SEAI what's happening but it's probably the dealer who should do it as it was they who filed the grant application.

(I'm just an impatient b@stard - my new car is sitting on a forecourt somewhere, several months after I ordered it!):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Hi,
    I am buying a new EV but the garage can't register it until they get the SEAI grant approved. This seems to be taking ages - anyone have experience of the typical timeline for this grant?
    It took 2 weeks from me first seeing the car to driving it away. The SEAI was responsible for the entire delay. The car was ready to go otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hi,
    I am buying a new EV but the garage can't register it until they get the SEAI grant approved. This seems to be taking ages - anyone have experience of the typical timeline for this grant?

I bought about a month ago, and the dealership told me that the car would be available in 2-3 days but that we'd have to wait for the SEAI, which quoted "up to 10 working days" for the grant. In the end, we got to 12 working days and the dealership had to kick up a stink with the SEAI before they eventually gave the approval and I could get my car.

Mine took 10 working days too a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if the dealer had to "remind" SEAI to process the application.

• Advertisement

That seems insane. If they are serious about EVs they should have a proper system. The registration system is fast - dealer says he can do it online in an instant.

You'd imagine if car types are pre-approved and dealers are registered it should also be instant for SEAI grants unless it's a complex case - e.g. an import or rare vehicle that needs a human to review the case. Even so...three weeks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

That seems insane. If they are serious about EVs they should have a proper system. The registration system is fast - dealer says he can do it online in an instant.

You'd imagine if car types are pre-approved and dealers are registered it should also be instant for SEAI grants unless it's a complex case - e.g. an import or rare vehicle that needs a human to review the case. Even so...three weeks??

Wait until you try and get the actual funds from them. at least 3months.

What do you mean?

Does it not come off the top i.e. to the dealer?

Nobody told me that - I'm just guessing. You have me wondering whether the price I was quoted includes the grant or not...

Yes the 5K comes off the top. I think the other poster is talking about the 600 charger grant.

Ah, I see. Was confused there for a minute.

For the VRT relief, is that just something that isn't added or is it actually deducted from the sale price? I always presumed the prices quoted include VRT (where it's @ 0% or something else) but had a confusing conversation with my dealer about this.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. Was confused there for a minute.

For the VRT relief, is that just something that isn't added or is it actually deducted from the sale price? I always presumed the prices quoted include VRT (where it's @ 0% or something else) but had a confusing conversation with my dealer about this.
    Normally the price you're given is the price you have to pay. The SEAI grant and VRT allowance have already been removed.

Okay, so I'm not to expect some kind of VRT 'rebate'?

Sorry, these are probably fairly basic questions.

No, normally the price the dealer quotes you will have all of the incentives applied, except for the €600 home charger grant. You have to apply for that yourself. The dealer can do it for you, but you're better off arranging it yourself. If the dealer arranges it, you can be sure you'll be paying top dollar for the install.

Thanks - that all makes sense.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

The SEAI process is really dumb that it takes so long. They don't explain the process correctly on their page at https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/.

They need to mention on that page:
    • the grant can take 10 working days to process
    • you can't register your vehicle until the grant is given
    • you can apply for the grant without vehicle details
    • the grant is valid for 4 months

Really the dealer should know all this and have the grant in place a month before they expect the vehicle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

How long are you waiting at the moment for your SEAI grant approvals? 1 week so far for this impatient and car-deprived buyer, and expect them to take the full 10 days...

Took the full two weeks when I was waiting. Agony.

10 days seems like a target they are determined to keep - it takes about the same time at all times of the year (based on anecdotal evidence!).

Can't believe they haven't made it simpler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had approval within a week back in early November. Application went in the second week of December and still hasn’t been paid out. I rang last week and was told it has been approved but they were waiting on work back from Safe Electric to make sure my spark was on the level.

Advertisement