Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 3: The Hunted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Webby nods at the broken elf.

"We must ache or long for progress at this point!"

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

conor222 wrote: »
    9lives sees if he can pick the lock

The lock yields to 9 Lives' touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭conor222

Same as the last time, eh Brutha? Line up for the knockdown if something comes through
    9lives waits until Brutha is in position then opens the door
    :O

Brutha moves into position as the door swings open. The first thing they notice is that the ground inside this room appears to be coated in something - a moss perhaps? It looks a little uneven, spongey. The second is that there's a dreadlocked creature dressed in rags in the middle of the room spinning around on his back, freezing in a shoulder-stand and then popping to his feet in a wave like motion that segues into a series of robotic arm movements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"Ummm, Webby, you appear to have suddenly grown a beard. Just thought you should know. C'mon, let's go."

• Advertisement

"Uhm, yes... yes I do..."

"I do? Do I?"

He walks over to the mirror and looks into it once more, to confirm what he already seems to know but now is also acknowledged by Lalwende.

Gazing into the mirror he sees the same suave, smooth Webby face he's always known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Guffy

That is a strange and magical mirror, thinks ech, Best to ignore it.

Echtrae goes over to study the statue while staying to the side of the bow at all times

Guffy wrote: »
    Echtrae goes over to study the statue while staying to the side of the bow at all times

The statue is gargantuan - twice the size of a normal troll; the stone archer aims his bow at the far wall. A large quiver of arrows hangs from his hip.

Webby smudges the mirror one last time, before turning around to Echtrae, who is inspecting the troll statue.

"Something isn't quite right here..."

Webby looks at the specific location the archer is aiming at, to see whether there is any clue or relevance to the location or aim of the statue.

"The quiver of arrows..." Webby thinks to himself.

"Want to take those for myself...".

• Advertisement

Inspecting the northern wall, Webby sees nothing of significance.
    Moving back to towards the statue, he realises that to get a closer look at the arrows he'll need a stepladder or piggyback.

Webby turns to Echtrae.

"Mind giving me a boost up? Really want a closer look at that quiver..."

Webby turns to Echtrae.

"Mind giving me a boost up? Really want a closer look at that quiver..."

"Not a problem" Echtrae clasps his hands together for Webby...

When he realises how heavy the halfling actually looks he adds, "I'll try at least, if not we can always fashion a hoist from my rope. Try and get one end through the bow and You can pull me up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

"Not a problem" Echtrae clasps his hands together for Webby...

When he realises how heavy the halfling actually looks he adds, "I'll try at least, if not we can always fashion a hoist from my rope. Try and get one end through the bow and You can pull me up"

Fector with his new peg leg in tow waddles over to Echtrae and Webby to assist. Webby would be an easy lift with two good legs.

It's something of a Sophie's choice for the trio - While Webby would be easy for Fector to lift, their combined height would be barely taller than a normal man. The quiver sits 8 feet off the ground. Climbing atop Echtrae would definitely give Webby the altitude he needs, but Echtrae is far from an impressive physical specimen and might struggle to hold him steady. With Fector's support though, Webby is able to clamber atop Echtrae.

Webby sees that most of the arrows in the quiver are fixed in place and stone, except one which appears to be a genuine arrow.

"Thanks chaps!"

He looks at the quiver and notices all are stone but one.

He looks to see if anything seems odd about the arrow or the area around it, intending to add this arrow to his collection if deemed useful or usable.

Webby looks, now he is much closer, to see if anything else is peculiar about the statue itself. Perhaps a way to get up higher, using his rope to scale.

It looks like a genuine arrow, probably removable, though it's scale might make it difficult for Webby to use given its in proportion to the rest of the statue.

If he jumps he might hook onto the bow and climb up to the arm, but that arm is already supporting its own weight and that of the stone bow. Still - another 59 lbs can't make *that* much of a difference.... Can it...?

Webby grabs the arrow and makes his way down.

"Time to move on chaps".

Webby pulls the arrow. Instead of withdrawing, it clicks forward. In response the statue slides to one side. As that happens the floor suddenly slopes sharply. Echtrae and Fector are thrown forward and through the gap which shuts and seals. Webby is left hanging from the arrow with his legs curled around the quiver.

Echtrae and Fector are now in a corridor with a door to the northwest and one going south. The whistling noise is louder again, though without the muffling effect of the wall behind them it's now more of an echoing squeal.

• Advertisement

"What the? Fector are you good?" Echtrae has to raise his voice to be heard over the whistle.

Echtrae turns to inspect the door they just fell through. Inspects for any levers or buttons, failing to see any he goes to the north west door, mutters something inaudible through the echoing sound, and opens it.

Webby continues clenching onto quiver.

"You chaps alright down there" he shouts.

He looks to see whether there was any purpose to the mirror moving besides the trap-door, slope floor which caught his comrades on the way down.

"What the? Fector are you good?" Echtrae has to raise his voice to be heard over the whistle.

Echtrae turns to inspect the door they just fell through. Inspects for any levers or buttons, failing to see any he goes to the north west door, mutters something inaudible through the echoing sound, and opens it.

Neither Fector nor Echtrae are injured physically.

The door to the north-west is locked.

Webby continues clenching onto quiver.

"You chaps alright down there" he shouts.

He looks to see whether there was any purpose to the mirror moving besides the trap-door, slope floor which caught his comrades on the way down.

The arrow appears to be stuck in it's new position, though it's difficult to tell given it's supporting most of your weight.

Both the floor and statue have reset to their original positions.

OOC : Not sure if that's an auto-correct issue or a mapping failure. Just to be clear, the mirror didn't budge an inch; The statue moved.

OOC: Sorry yeh meant statue...

"Hello there traveller, who might you be?"
    9 lives calls in towards the creature in the mossy room

conor222 wrote: »
    "Hello there traveller, who might you be?"
    9 lives calls in towards the creature in the mossy room

He doesn't respond directly, but as he drops to the floor into a push-up position, swiping into a floor flip and then begins to worm, you hear a pained moan of "Fresh!". The figure is still facing away from you.

9lives looks at brutha and asks, what do you think is going on here? I'm more than a little confused.
    I think we need to try to go through, but be on your guard!
    9lives gives the floor a quick scan to see what it could be and pokes it with the blunt end of an arrow

Brutha shrugs.

Poking at the edge of the floor, some of it comes away. It's a bluish moss, it gives off a faint luminescent light. There's no visible damage or impact on the arrow from contact with the moss, and beneath the moss is the same stone floor they've seen elsewhere in the dungeon.

The room beyond the doorway in which they stand is quite long, extending to the north though there's no obvious features of interest in that direction. The doorway is about halfway along the western wall. From where he's standing 9 Lives can see an archway to the south and little else.

• Advertisement

9lives steps into the room and fans to the left and indicated to Butha to fan to the right
    9lives looks about and sees if he can spot anything else of interest in the room. If not they start edging slowly around towards the arch

OOC: the arch is the exit we see and not the door we just cam through right?

Advertisement