Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 3: The Hunted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

There's not much to barricade the doors, save the bodies of the rats and fallen comrades, and whatever belongings they had. It might be possible to reclaim the wood of the platform and use that, but that might be ridiculously dangerous depending on how deep the pit is. Also, it would probably involve finding out why you're able to hear a voice calling out from down there.

The northern door you entered through opens inwards, and has fittings for a bar which would hold it closed and deter any but the most insistent unwanted caller.

conor222 wrote: »
    Be careful Brutha, it seems a bit off but I cant put my finger on it. Open it very slowly
    (He continues to open the chest)

Brutha struggles to lift the lid - it's heavier than it looks. As soon as it tilts beyond full verticality it falls backwards and the shift in weight seems to trigger a pressure plate. The chest begins to rise up and there's a sound of stone grinding on stone to the north. Brutha makes an open handed "I didn't do it / you made me do it" shrug, gesturing at the chest.

In the northern half of the room, some of the stone floor slabs have dropped and slid away, revealing a staircase up which charge 4 skeletons. 3 charge at the pair while the fourth stuggles to raise a crossbow and take aim.

Init!

https://rolz.org/dr?room=The+Meatgrinder+Boards.ieD%26D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

There's not much to barricade the doors, save the bodies of the rats and fallen comrades, and whatever belongings they had. It might be possible to reclaim the wood of the platform and use that, but that might be ridiculously dangerous depending on how deep the pit is. Also, it would probably involve finding out why you're able to hear a voice calling out from down there.

The northern door you entered through opens inwards, and has fittings for a bar which would hold it closed and deter any but the most insistent unwanted caller.

Webby proceeds to push chunks of giant rat bodies in front of the doors and takes the broken quarterstaff to slot it into the fittings on the northern door.

"Neifion! Neifion!..." he thinks to himself.

Webby previously already noticed his feelings and actions were beyond his control, with this place slowly pulling apart his sanity.

"I'm up here! It's me, Poppy Goodchild!" he thinks he's thinking to himself.

The voice has manifested, with Webby now truly believing he is losing the plot.

"Sleep will do me good... must do me good... please... LET IT DO ME GOOD" he mumbles as he lays his head to rest on his rope of lawfulness.

Webby is surprised by how heavy some of the dead rats are. They will make excellent doorstops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Guffy

Sleep sounds good, ech follows Webby in search of a spot to sleep in hope it will give him a clear head for his magical studies when he awakes again.

Ooc: if i manage to sleep the required amount of time i learn the spell when i awake. If completed un interrupted can you let me know when is enough time.

• Advertisement

Webby opens an eye to see Echtrae looking for a suitable spot.

"The rope is plenty comfortble, as much as one can hope for in this godforsaken place...".

Guffy wrote: »
    Sleep sounds good, ech follows Webby in search of a spot to sleep in hope it will give him a clear head for his magical studies when he awakes again.

Ooc: if i manage to sleep the required amount of time i learn the spell when i awake. If completed un interrupted can you let me know when is enough time.

Echtrae tries very hard to sleep, but keeps being woken by the plaintive shouts for aid coming out of the pit.

Webby does not seem to give a single ****, and snores happily to himself.

Fector stands around looking awkward, unsure if anyone has noticed that he survived the rat attack.

Ech is very disappointed the wine from the wine skin has worn off.

He looks for another drop in an attempt to drink himself to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Help! Neofion? Are you there? I can't hang on much longer!

Ech is very disappointed the wine from the wine skin has worn off.

He looks for another drop in an attempt to drink himself to sleep.

Ech gives up on ignoring the calling from the pit. Carefully avoiding traps he goes over to look and see what's making the racket.

• Advertisement

Three skeletons rush 9Lives as the fourth takes aim, hitting Brutha in the shoulder with a bolt. 9 Lives deftly dodges beneath a flurry of blade, bone and hammer-head but is too busy dodging to score a hit himself. Brutha drops to his knees, praying to Om for intervention but the loss of blood causes him to trip over his incantations, and his prayer is not answered.

His mumbles attract attention, as one of the skeletons brings it's warhammer down in his bowed head, dashing Brutha's brains out over the floor. 9 Lives cries out for his companion, letting his guard down - a sword pierces his ribs. The blade still buried in his chest, he scrambles away from his underfed tormentors, rushing south to the nearest door. They're slow to react, and despite his injuries 9 Lives scrapes and crawls to the door and to sanctuary.

The door is locked.

He fumbles in his pack for his tools while his osseous oppressors first confirm Brutha's death with a few stabs and hammer slams, then jerkily close on him. 9 Lives clears his mind, takes a deep breath and begins to gently push and jiggle and probe. There's a click from the lock. His pick has snapped.

Having no choice, he turns to face his pallid pursuers, popping a spider-gore-encrusted candy in his mouth and turning his cap peak to the left, ready to go down swinging and looking boss. Spider-goo tastes exactly as disgusting as he expected it would. The end, when it comes, is a brutal hail of relentless bone.

OOC: 9 Lives and Brutha are down.
    Conor222, let me know if you want to leave it there, resurrect or re-roll (and if either of the latter 2, here or with the rest of the group?)

Ech gives up on ignoring the calling from the pit. Carefully avoiding traps he goes over to look and see what's making the racket.

Echtrae approaches the pit in the southwest of the room with Fector in tow.

It's roughly circular with a cantilevered platform sticking out into the middle of it. A rope is secured to one of the anchoring posts of the platform, trailing off into the pit itself. A dank and rancid smell drifts up from it's depths. The stone floor around the edge is mossy and there are no safety measures to speak of. If you wish to get closer you can either approach the edge of the pit or walk out onto the platform.

Echtrar wonders can he reach the anchor without putting himself in peril. He meekly calls to the pit, "eh, hello? Can you keep it down please I'm trying to catch 40 winks here". Ech takes a step behind Fectorand unsheaths his lovely new silver dagger.

Poppy hears a faint voice above her. She shouts "Neifion is that you? Help!"

"Neifon? Who are you and what are you doing in a pit? Can you stop making a racket please?"

"Who's that? Neifion? I need help. "

"ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....".

"Zzzzz... grrrrr... grrrr.. ZZzzzzzz....".

"Zzz.... No... I am... IM The Rat Kingzzzzz.......Zzzzzz".

Webby appears to be experiencing vivid dreams, with his leg twitching, often convulsing in what almost appears to be fluid movement.

In his sleep, he knocks over his backpack, with the wineskin and ornate goblet, tumbling out.

Ech takes a step behind Fectorand unsheaths his lovely new silver dagger.

As he draws the dagger he so recently appropriated from a reasonably fresh if gnawed corpse, Echtrae noticed a big N engraved in the hilt.

Poppy slowly tries to climb up the rope.

Poppy slowly tries to climb up the rope.

Ooc : test of strength!
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=The%20Meatgrinder%20Boards.ieD%26D
    Roll #d20, target is 10 or under.

• Advertisement

Echtrae looks at the hilt, "Erm... sorry to say but... god this is awkward... sorry about this but I think the rats might have gotten your friend" he calls to the unknown noise maker.

Echtrae again looks to see if he can reach the anchor without any risk of putting himself in harms way.

Actually this sheath stinks, worst idea ever. Echtrae cuts it off and tgrows the rope back into the pack while he tries to see a safe route to the anchor

Echtrae looks at the hilt, "Erm... sorry to say but... god this is awkward... sorry about this but I think the rats might have gotten your friend" he calls to the unknown noise maker.

Echtrae again looks to see if he can reach the anchor without any risk of putting himself in harms way.

OOC : For those of you who aren't cantilever enthusiasts, typically this is a span that is anchored at one point rather than at either end, with that anchor point taking the stresses from forces applied along the whole length of the span. The anchors I'm referring to are 2 wooden posts driven through the wooden span at the end that is over solid ground, anchoring it to the ground. Just in case you're looking for a ships anchor. The rope is tied to one of these posts. For illustrative purposes...

453978.png
    Echtraeapproaches the edge of the pit nearest the platform and it's anchor posts. From a safe distance, he can't see very far over the edge, but it looks deep. To see more he'll need to approach the edge or walk out onto the platform.

OOC : Poppy rolled a 6, which is a pass
    As Echtrae approaches the anchor post, a small hand appears at the top of the pit, clearly looking for purchase to pull it's owner out.

"Hello. I wonder if you'd mind giving me a hand up? "

Webby wakes up from the racket his companions are causing, clearly waking up with his left foot. (OOC: No offense Fector).

Initially still in a daze from his powernap, he overhears the voice coming from the pit.

"Female?". He thinks to himself, as he is looking to turn around and continue his sleep.

"Female...".

"Female?!".

He jumps up.

"No that cant be right... There is none in our midst... This is a trap... Why... Why.... Why are his companions not taking precautions... Anything hiding in a hole, is there for a reason and should not be left out...".

Thoughts are racing through Webby's head, before quickly coming to the realisation, that IF he wants to safeguard himself, he MUST take action quickly.

Webby grabs his shortsword and runs over the the pit, where both Echtrae and Fector seem to be hovering around.

"Charmed... They've been charmed..." he thinks to himself as he is rushing over.

"I will do this myself!!!" He shouts as he nears the top, holding up the sword ready to strike whoever or whatever is trying to climb out.

DNj1oXR.gif

He looks over the edge, with his sword drawn now above his head, now faced with what looks to be a halfling.

"Oh... uh..." He utters as he takes a few small steps back, clearly taken aback by what he is faced with.

He drops the sword behind him, as he realises how unnecessarily threating a stance he has taken in this situation.

He then quickly runs over.

"Im so sorry... I didnt mean to... Im sorry... I'll help you up.".

He extends a hand to the halfing and drags her up to the surface.

"Pleasure to meet you madam... My name is Webby Frothfist... Son of...".

He shakes his head...

"None of that matters... sorry... Are you ok?".

Webby wakes up from the racket his companions are causing, clearly waking up with his left foot. (OOC: No offense Fector).

Initially still in a daze from his powernap, he overhears the voice coming from the pit.

"Female?". He thinks to himself, as he is looking to turn around and continue his sleep.

"Female...".

"Female?!".

He jumps up.

"No that cant be right... There is none in our midst... This is a trap... Why... Why.... Why are his companions not taking precautions... Anything hiding in a hole, is there for a reason and should not be left out...".

Thoughts are racing through Webby's head, before quickly coming to the realisation, that IF he wants to safeguard himself, he MUST take action quickly.

Webby grabs his shortsword and runs over the the pit, where both Echtrae and Fector seem to be hovering around.

"Charmed... They've been charmed..." he thinks to himself as he is rushing over.

"I will do this myself!!!" He shouts as he nears the top, holding up the sword ready to strike whoever or whatever is trying to climb out.

DNj1oXR.gif

He looks over the edge, with his sword drawn now above his head, now faced with what looks to be a halfling.

"Oh... uh..." He utters as he takes a few small steps back, clearly taken aback by what he is faced with.

He drops the sword behind him, as he realises how unnecessarily threating a stance he has taken in this situation.

He then quickly runs over.

"Im so sorry... I didnt mean to... Im sorry... I'll help you up.".

He extends a hand to the halfing and drags her up to the surface.

"Pleasure to meet you madam... My name is Webby Frothfist... Son of...".

He shakes his head...

"None of that matters... sorry... Are you ok?".
    "Hello Webby, pleased to meet you. My name is Poppy Goodfellow. Thanks for your help. I'm fine just a bit shaken. Is Neifion with you? "

"Hello Webby, pleased to meet you and thank you for helping me out. I'm fine just a bit shaken. Is Neifion with you? "

"Hello Webby, pleased to meet you. I'm Poppy Goodfellow. Thank you for helping me up. I'm fine, just a bit shaken. Is Neifion with you?"

• Advertisement

"Hello Webby, pleased to meet you. I'm Poppy Goodfellow. Thank you for helping me up. I'm fine, just a bit shaken. Is Neifion with you?"

"I'm afraid that name is not familiar to me...".

"We have been stuck in this godforsaken place, for what feels like months...".

Webby points out the massacre, which took place moments (OOC: 8 - 9 hours?) ago.

"We lost many already... And stand to lose more... In fact, im not doing to well myself...".

His momentary spurt of energy seems to be subsiding again.

"I'm so tired... i must... lie... down".

Webby makes his way to his belongings again, with the intent to get at least 8 hours of sleep.

Advertisement