Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked window+damp, repair here or europe

Options
  • 24-04-2018 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    We bought a campervan a few weeks ago to travel around Europe in, we knew a small window was cracked and intended on getting it fixed after our trip, this is a seitz slide window just behind the passenger door (LHD)
    After the rain last night the window has let a load of water in and now when you pull out the cutlery drawer the entire wall is soft!

We are not sure what bit of the window is leaking at the moment, the issue is we have a ferry booked for this Saturday!

I am wondering should this be tackled in ireland or would it be worth getting it looked at in Europe? We would almost certainly lose the ferry fare but that was less than €400 so I wasn't too concerned about that,
    My feeling is to delay the trip for a few weeks to get a repair done?
    Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Cover the whole window and surrounding area with transparent vinyl if you're nit sure wher its coming in b&q sells transparent dc-fix rolls and enjoy your holiday. If the wall is soft the cupboards would probably need to come out and the wholelot would need drying out before repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Thanks for the input! I will cover the window today, as I think we are due rain later, I should have mentioned the trip will be hopefully a few months long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Also don't assume the water is coming in at the window just because it's damp near there - leaks are notorious for travelling and it could easily be a pinhole leak on the roof or somewhere else. I've had water pool on the roof and cascade down over a side window after a shower. Might be no harm to have a look up top just in case. €5 or so for a tube of Wurth Bond&Seal and give it a run anywhere that looks suspect. On the bright side ( literally ) you are probably better off in the drier European climate than at home until its repaired.
    Happy Travelling.

Advertisement