Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to cancel tv licence

Options
  • 24-04-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi

We have a tv licence but are moving next week to a house which already has one so I don't need mine anymore. From what I'm reading online it doesn't seem possible to cancel our licence (and ideally get a partial refund, but I know that's highly unlikely!) Is that right?

Does anyone know how do I remove my name from the system so letters aren't sent to this house at renewal time?

Every question seems to be answered on their website apart from what to do when cancelling! Although apologies if it's there and I've missed it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

No refund possible. Its an annual licence.

I presume you are house sharing if new place has a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The TV licence is your the premises, and not the individual, you could "give" it to whom will reside in your (soon to be) former residence.

Can they be transfer to another house, if so, do you have any family or friends whom would want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Hi

We have a tv licence but are moving next week to a house which already has one so I don't need mine anymore. From what I'm reading online it doesn't seem possible to cancel our licence (and ideally get a partial refund, but I know that's highly unlikely!) Is that right?

Does anyone know how do I remove my name from the system so letters aren't sent to this house at renewal time?

Every question seems to be answered on their website apart from what to do when cancelling! Although apologies if it's there and I've missed it.

Interesting point. You can't get a refund, but even existing data protection regulation require them to keep information about you up to date, and provide a means of correcting it. So they absolutely should have a straightforward way of removing your name from any future renewal letters.

Advertisement