Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starter car for teenager

Options
  • 24-04-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My daughter turns 18 this year. I would like to get her a good starter car that wouldnt cost a fortune to tax or insure. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pmansconst1

!.4 might be high insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They come in 1.2 as well

Default choice would be something like a Toyota Yaris or Toyota Aygo 1.0

Depends on budget really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

!.4 might be high insurance?

At 18, insurance will be high anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What's your budget for the car otherwise you could get suggestions all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Smallest possible car and engine.

Insurers would class Yaris, seat Mii, Skoda citigo etc as very low to insure cars. Ring up and get quotes on a variety of cars to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A good option is previous model Fiesta 1.2. Its only 60hp and glacier slow but unlike some of the tinny ultra mini cars, its very solid and well rated for safety. In other words , i wouldnt put my kid in a tiny car as a beginner.

I did a dummy quote for you there on a 2012 Fiesta for 18 yo woman living where i live near Leixlip, on the Axa monitored SafeDrive scheme and it came out of €3,600 for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Nissan Leaf or Renault Zoe would be good option

Cheap fuel at home
    Free fuel from public charger
    Colleges have charge points
    Grant to install Home charger
    Cheap tax
    Cheap insurance
    Cheap servicing
    Cheap tolls
    Automatic which is huge plus

All are high spec and come with high safety

Resale value increasing due to increase in demand

Just an idea outside the normal petrol/diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Automatic which is huge plus

Not for a learner driver unless of course they're going driving autos for the rest of their lives.

Which of course is quite possible but I'd certainly be of the opinion that learning and doing the test in a manual is the best course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not for a learner driver unless of course they're going driving autos for the rest of their lives.

Which of course is quite possible but I'd certainly be of the opinion that learning and doing the test in a manual is the best course of action.

Unless you plan to drive trucks or tractors a manual is a waste of time these days...

Manual is so 80’s......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are still a large amount of manual cars driving around so limiting yourself to doing your test in an auto is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In oppose to what many are suggesting, and what our laughable insurance industry seems to be pushing for young people, I would strongly encourage op against buying a small car for his/her daughter.

Young, inexperienced driver is more likely to be involved in accident, and you definitely not want your daughter to be in tiny sh1tbox deathtrap during such potential accident (like Aygo, Mii, citigo, etc).

Buy your daughter something large and safe.
    You might need to swallow high insurance cost, but is buying tiny deathtrap worth the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

CiniO wrote:
    Buy your daughter something large and safe. You might need to swallow high insurance cost, but is buying tiny deathtrap worth the risk?

Putting the little snowflake in a big high powered car isn't necessarily safe. With a quote of 3600 for the fiesta, albeit notional most well paid employees would baulk at 300 a month to buy a car, nevermind the insurance. A few years in a small car are not the end of the world. Get the NCB and move on when costs allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A good option is previous model Fiesta 1.2. Its only 60hp and glacier slow but unlike some of the tinny ultra mini cars, its very solid and well rated for safety. In other words , i wouldnt put my kid in a tiny car as a beginner.

I did a dummy quote for you there on a 2012 Fiesta for 18 yo woman living where i live near Leixlip, on the Axa monitored SafeDrive scheme and it came out of €3,600 for the year

Most cars in that class have great safety ratings to be fair and a lot will be rated on the much tougher 2009 NCAP which AFAIK the Fiesta wasn’t tested on.

Fiesta is a great choice by the way, but I wouldn’t be singling our safety as being anything special.

Advertisement