Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western red Cedar

Options
  • 24-04-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭

Hi all.just wondering has anyone here ever grown a western red Cedar tree from a cutting or a seed and is it hard to do.want to grow one.if I took a branch off one and did cutting with rooting powder would it take in a pot.thanks.thuja plicata I think is it’s other name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

They will grow from cuttings, but I'd take plenty as I think it's a low hit rate with cedars. If it's a tree you have approved access to, layering works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They will grow from cuttings, but I'd take plenty as I think it's a low hit rate with cedars. If it's a tree you have approved access to, layering works well.

I don’t have approved access to the tree and I don’t know anything about layering to be honest but they wouldn’t mind me taking a small cutting or two off it.its in a forest so wouldn’t even know who to ask about it.ill try a few cuts just as an experiment sure.thanks for your help I’ll do a few with the hope of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don’t know anything about layering to be honest
    Isn't that why you asked the question? :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Isn't that why you asked the question? :pac:

Yeah I’m fairly new to gardening and that.mostly trial and error here and learning by doing.i googled the layering and I couldn’t do it since it’s not my tree and I don’t know who owns the forest and aswell as that I wouldn’t chance it anyway when I’m not used to it Incase I’d damage the tree.ill take a few small cuts off it nice and clean as not to damage the tree and I’ll try the root powder on the cutting. I only want one off the tree cos the parent tree is a grand looking tree.ill let ye know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

If you plan on putting this tree within 100 metres of a house think twice imo. I am in the process of taking out 20 metre high Thujas with metre plus diameters at the base. A block wall wouldn't deprive you of more light !!

• Advertisement

Squiggle wrote: »
    If you plan on putting this tree within 100 metres of a house think twice imo. I am in the process of taking out 20 metre high Thujas with metre plus diameters at the base. A block wall wouldn't deprive you of more light !!

Yeah sound. If I get one rooted I’ll plant it well out the back away from structures.good luck with your removal

Advertisement