Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not moving windows to insulation layer

• 24-04-2018 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I'm getting quotes for external insulation at the moment and there's a general reluctance by the companies quoting to move the existing Munster Joinery PVC windows out to the insulation layer. The company that is top of my list at the moment definitely won't move the windows.

How big a deal is it not to move the windows out to the insulation layer? I know that its the better approach but what are the consequences if they're not moved? If there's a resulting cold bridge, will it cause condensation and mould at the reveals or is it just a less than ideal thermal inefficiency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I'm getting quotes for external insulation at the moment and there's a general reluctance by the companies quoting to move the existing Munster Joinery PVC windows out to the insulation layer. The company that is top of my list at the moment definitely won't move the windows.

How big a deal is it not to move the windows out to the insulation layer? I know that its the better approach but what are the consequences if they're not moved? If there's a resulting cold bridge, will it cause condensation and mould at the reveals or is it just a less than ideal thermal inefficiency?

The main reason that they may not like to move the windows is the re-fitting and the removal of the windows may cause damage. Very easy to whip out the old ones and put in an exactly measured unit to replace. There is a requirement for external insulation to have an insulated slip fitted on the reveals of the window ro limit thermal bridging therefore reducing the risk of mould and condensation.

Advertisement