Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding more RAM

Options
  • 24-04-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I currently have 2x4gb sticks, so I was looking to upgrade. Rather than adding 2 more, I'm just going to get 2x8gb so it's easier to upgrade in the future.

However, I'm having trouble with what RAM I can get. I used Crucial's system scanner and it offered me (as an example)
    Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM
    Upgrade for: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
    Crucial part number: CT7347017
    Brand: Crucial
    Form Factor: UDIMM
    Total Capacity: 16GB kit (8GBx2)
    Warranty: Limited Lifetime
    Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •
    Series: Crucial

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/z77-pro4-m/CT7347017#productDetails

However, I can't find these on Amazon, the options on there are numerous and have completely different part numbers. So apart from needing to get DDR3, is there anything else in the Crucial recommendation that makes them particularly compatible with my mobo (ASRock Z77 Pro4-M)?

I have these in my Amazon basket. Any good?

PS I could buy from Crucial, but I'm putting together an order on Amazon and thought I'd kill a couple more birds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Try your nearest cex for memory . Got 2 8 gig second hand for half the price of new ones. Current new prices are way to high. As long as you get a matching pair you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4-M/

You don't need DDR3L; any DDR3 DIMM kit will work on your motherboard.

You can find it cheap enough on Adverts: https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/desktop-hardware/494/q_16gb+ddr3/price_0-120/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks both, really not sure about buying RAM second hand, although I assume CEX has some sort of return policy. Are prices really that crazy though, 120 odd quid for 2x8g sticks? As you can tell, I don't buy RAM very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say buying from Adverts is fine but I wouldn't buy from CEX unless there is a local store near you that you can easily return to. They don't test RAM so it's pretty common for it not to work. I've bought RAM from there a few times and gotten server ram (not compatiable with normal desktop).

On the plus side, it's way, way cheaper than buying new and they still offer a 2 year warranty which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

corblimey wrote: »
    Tks both, really not sure about buying RAM second hand, although I assume CEX has some sort of return policy. Are prices really that crazy though, 120 odd quid for 2x8g sticks? As you can tell, I don't buy RAM very often.
    RAM doesn't degrade; unless someone is a major spoon while handling it there won't be any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I stopped wearing anti-static wrist straps years ago but I do ground myself on something first before touching them but I would say memory is more resilient these days anyway

Advertisement