Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikkor Series 1 18 - 200mm VR

• 24-04-2018 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this isn't the correct place for this.

I have a Nikkor VR zoom lens that has decided to play up. It's a popular lens so I'm hoping someone might have experienced this.

There are 4 "clunks" from the lens every time the camera is powered on or when the shutter is part depressed and wakes up the lens. After this the stabilisation doesn't work.

The lens had been fine until after I took it off to clean the sensor, coincidence maybe ?

Anyway the lens needs to be repaired, has anyone had this happen ? How much did it cost to repair ?

There is a series II VR lens for sale on Adverts so might buy it if the repair costs are excessive but it could take 2 to 3 weeks to get an estimate so was hoping someone here might have a quicker answer.

Also from a quality POV which series were better ? Series I or II ?

Thanks

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It sounds like the focussing mechanism kicking in - it can happen but usually just one 'clunk'. Are the zoom ring and the manual focus ring working ok ? Should be fairly smooth and you'd feel it if they were sticking.

It sounds a bit like an intermittent electrical fault IMO so just cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the body might help before you go spending any money on it. Also check the aperture lever on both the lens and the body but to be honest it doesn't sound like that.

Advertisement