Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda to Dublin Commute for School?

Options
  • 24-04-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Basically, I moved to Drogheda a few days ago from Enfield and I'm looking to go to either the Institute (Dublin 2) or St. Micheal's (Dublin 4) as a day student.

I checked the train times and I would have to leave me house at around 7 am to catch the 7:12 train which would bring me to pearse at like 8:30 same for Sydney Parade.

All I'm wondering is there anybody who takes this journey and what do they think? I really am looking to apply for either schools so I just want to know how tiring this may be.

I was thinking to stay in my brother's student accomodation (hopefully he finds one) as an alternative and commute to and from school.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi jesster2k10

Are you anywhere near the Matthews Bus service? They run services from Dundalk (incl Drogheda) and Bettystown (starting at Grange Rath) to UCD/the IFSC and just up past O'Connell Street.

You can literally get the matthews bus straight to Leeson Street for the IoE.

Should be a good bit cheaper than train too, and you wouldn't have to get a bus from the train station to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jesster2k10

Musefan wrote: »
    Hi jesster2k10

Are you anywhere near the Matthews Bus service? They run services from Dundalk (incl Drogheda) and Bettystown (starting at Grange Rath) to UCD/the IFSC and just up past O'Connell Street.

You can literally get the matthews bus straight to Leeson Street for the IoE.

Should be a good bit cheaper than train too, and you wouldn't have to get a bus from the train station to your destination.

I live a few minutes from the tram station, I was thinking of getting a bike so I could cycle from Pearse Station to Lesson Street. How long do Matthews Coaches take?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I was thinking of getting a bike so I could cycle from Pearse Station to Lesson Street.

you can walk it in about 15 mins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I live a few minutes from the tram station, I was thinking of getting a bike so I could cycle from Pearse Station to Lesson Street. How long do Matthews Coaches take?

Don't Irish rail restrict bikes on peak services?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jesster2k10

Don't Irish rail restrict bikes on peak services?

I'm not sure, I assume you can take them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭wally79

Bicycles on Commuter Trains

Iarnrod Éireann welcome bicycles free of charge on off peak Commuter services. Bicycles that are folded and covered can be carried on all Commuter services with no time restrictions.

Bicycles are not permitted on Commuter before 09:30hrs and between the hours of 16:00hrs and 19:00hrs Monday to Friday. Customers can travel with bikes all day Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Bikes not allowed before 9.30 or between 4 and 7 in the evening. Your best bet would be a Dublin Bike or buying a fold up bike which are allowed on peak services.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 'covered' bit for fold ups is ignored but the normal bikes ban is sometimes enforced and other passengers may enforce it on you otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Matthews bus (according to timetable) departs bus station in Drogheda at 7:10, arriving at leeson street for 8:15.

In my opinion, this would be the handiest, & the bus home leaves at 17:20. You could always take the train in the event that you miss the bus home.

AFAIK Matthews bus is also much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd imagine cost isnt the issue as there are free education without travel requirements in Drogheda. But 3-4 hours commuting a day?! with at best a small space to do homework to make use of this time, will grind you down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Musefan wrote: »
    Matthews bus (according to timetable) departs bus station in Drogheda at 7:10, arriving at leeson street for 8:15.

In my opinion, this would be the handiest, & the bus home leaves at 17:20. You could always take the train in the event that you miss the bus home.

AFAIK Matthews bus is also much cheaper.

Must be no traffic then.

Advertisement