Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accuracy international rifles

Options
  • 24-04-2018 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Are these readily available here? A friend is possible looking for one but can't seem to find any here

Lots in the UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You have a friend with deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

You have a friend with deep pockets.

I know they can go over 10k but can also be got for between 3-4k at least in the UK

One sold here last year for 1900

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That's actually quite cheap for a high precision full bore target rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

pm. wrote: »
    Hi lads

Are these readily available here? A friend is possible looking for one but can't seem to find any here

Lots in the UK

They can be bought here however there cost is prohibitive to some and considering the price of there latest model, The AW/AE second hand market will not drop any time soon IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

No doubt about how excellent the Accuracy is. However, your friend would be into very big money so perhaps also consider getting a very good rifle built to their own spec and taste as another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Cill Dara hunting have them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

pm. wrote: »
    Hi lads

Lots in the UK
    I’ve a mate with a mk3 folder with a new proof barrel he’s selling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In the right hands they're a great rifle, but for me they're completely unworkable.

They are chronic heavy. Just the rifle (without a scope, bipod, etc) can weigh up to and over 15lb depending on model. For F-Class shooting that means you haven't a hope of making weight unless you go for the F-Open calibers and then you're into a whole other ball of wax. For hunting it's even worse. With scope, rings, bipod and suppressor you're looking at the a kit in the 18lb mark. Try lumping that around all day.

If it's F-Class your mate is into then there is the custom build route. Would cost the same or less than an AI, but can be built to your mate's needs. However i always recommend to anyone starting out in F-Class to buy factory first and then customise as they progress. A lot of people take up the sport then drop out after a year or two and they're left with a €4k rifle that won't get even half what they paid for it when trying to sell on.

The other option is to go for another top of the range rifle that is factory built. Cheaper than the AI, but still a pretty penny the RPA is a top notch rifle and comes in an array of configurations and calibers, but is designed for competition or hunting. Other manufacturers can provide these, but i've no experience so won't recommend any.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

AI s are great pieces of kit, have looked at 3 in the last two weeks, including two which were brand new.

But if you want to combine looks with everything and still get a workable piece of kit, opt for the AI stock and get a rifle built around it. Even then you will need to make lots of alterations to make it workable as an F class FTR gun.

This I know as its difficult to find the right people to talk to about it. So you make some purchasing errors and have to live with the consequences.

This is my advice, AI in standard form are just cost prohibitive and require too many changes, unless your in the military and need a practice gun and have lots of cash to do it.

I purchased a HOWA 1500 second hand custom build with an AI stock and Nightforce benchrest NPR2 Scope and have made many changes to the stock to try and accommodate it as an FTR gun.

Thanks also to Jason for advising me that you need a bar under the butt in order to allow proper movement of the stock and gun rearward after firing.
    The shooting Shed in the UK can build you one.
    Sourcing a spigot which will work with an Evo Bipod is also a challenge I may have solved this morning via the postman.
    Bigfoot rear bag has helped as well.

If you get one, sell the bipod and get a Phoenix Bipod, much better in my opinion .

Best advice if you are going to use it to show off to your mates or its in .338 then its a great gun. Very accurate as the name says.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

jb88 wrote: »
    ............... opt for the AI stock and get a rifle built around it. Even then you will need to make lots of alterations to make it workable as an F class FTR gun. .

Been down this road too and it's as unworkable as buying the AI.

Between the bag runner, adaptors, spigots, and most importantly the weight you'd be down about €1,300 just for the stock. It also weighs in at just under 7lb. So add that to the 2lb scope, 1lb bipod (considering you go for the light model), 3lb for actions and 1lb for rings, bag runner, etc. you are left with 4lb, perhaps 5 at best, for the barrel.

This means you have to go either short barrel or ultra light profile/contour. Neither of which are ideal for F-Class.

If it's a hunting rig then the same thing applies. Just for example. Remmie action (2.75lb), 24" medium profile barrel (4.5lb), rings and scope (2lb), stock (6.75lb), Harris bipod (0.75lb), Suppressor (0.5lb). So you have a hunting rig that is 17lb. For example this was 15.7lb and a pig to carry and was pretty much what i've described:

Ended up parting with the AICS, bought a standard hunting stock and the rifle is now in the 10lb mark. Still heavy for some, but a breeze to carry compared to what it used to be.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement