Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hantrex MTC9000 problems

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Did read elsewhere it was 135v , very strange.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Did read elsewhere it was 135v , very strange.

Most stuff will work with +\- 10/15% on the incoming voltage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Most stuff will work with +\- 10/15% on the incoming voltage

Yeah sure I'd say the majority of people use a 110v Stepdown for Japanese consoles when in fact it 'should' be a 100v one.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

eddhorse wrote: »
    Hopefully that didn't affect the monitor chassis after it was fixed.

Any pics of the power supply and isolation transformer?

Surprised it's 135V , seems a strange number.

Edit: Read through this
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056155861

Also one here for €59
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.es%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142782864527

If you do have a guy working on it then get the schematic for them, might help.

Thanks for that, great link to a replacement unit and off your advice I included the schematic which made life much easier for the PSU repair guy.

So to recap here's what's happened to date, I'd previously built a mame machine from a second hand cabinet I got on here that came with a screen. Alot of fiddling to get it all set up and working but got there after 3 solid days and all was working fine.
    Left it for a while tucked away in the corner of one of the back room and on going to it now and again most of the time it wouldn't power on. Thought it was the rear door switch but when I found out it wasn't I was a bit lost.

Eventually bit the bullet and came on here to see where to go with it and got recommended Grant in the UK. After decharging my monitor using a screwdriver on the end of a wooden sweeping brush for maximum clearance I sent it across but once with him he found no major issues bar a few caps that would affect the image quality (worth noting that the screen did have a discoloured blotch down the left corner, thought it was someone playing with a magnet on the front of the screen at some point) he replaced and sent the chassis back to me.
    He'd advised that I may have a power problem feeding the screen so I did a full check on the power going into the chassis, both 220VAC and 135VDC worked fine. In saying that there was alot of dodgy wiring in the cabinet so while waiting for my chassis to get back I tidied it all up and soldered all the wires that'd been twisted together.

With that done I decided to boot my XP mame machine with an external monitor to makes sure that was ok. It wasn't and I mean really wasn't, couldn't boot but then after a repair of the disk it threw other errors so had to reinstall windows on top of it to get it to work and even at that I wasn't confident so spent another full day rebuilding it all from scratch, to make it worth my while I added NES, SNES and Mega Drive games alongside Mame in HyperSpin. Turns out that hardest part was activating windows XP again as the online service seems to have gone off the air :/

With that rebuilt the chassis turned up, I stuck it in and hey presto all was good with the world again. I still had config to do on the freshly built XP install and half an hour into that the monitor went off and wouldn't restart, using a multimeter I confirmed the 135V rail was dead.

I found PSRA.ie in rathnew, dropped my power supply down and picked it up again two days later with a capacitor replaced. Price was similar to what chassis work costs from Grant.

While waiting for my PSU, I finished the config of the XP build and then backed up the disk in case it goes again.
    When I got the PSU back in it went, the cab was rebuilt and tested and finally I'm back in action :D

Thanks a mill for all the help on here, great to get all the info and funny to think back to the start of this I hadn't a breeze what was going on and now I know the internals of my cab and CRT inside out!

Proof of my working, perfect screened arcade machine:

F8zIcc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great work and thanks for the full explanation. It will help someone else down the line.
    Nobody knows anything with these cabs until you start digging in there and researching.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Picture looks amazing. Nice job. I need to give grant a shout and get mine looked at.

Advertisement