Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't enter BIOS

Options
  • 25-04-2018 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently changed my BIOS firmware settings from UEFI to Legacy. I did this because I installed kali linux onto a USB stick and it was the only way I could get it to work.
    Now I can't get back into the BIOS settings for some reason.
    I tried pressing Esc repeatedly while powering on the computer. I also tried holding F2/F10/F12 individually while powering up to no avail.
    Has anyone faced this problem before?
    I have to change the firmware back to UEFI in order to get Windows 10 up and running again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Wrong forum fella

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

You can get into your BIOS via Windows 10 GUI from advanced options.

I used it a while back and it worked like a charm.

https://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/

Neon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

My bad didn't read the original post fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Open the case take a stick of RAM out (assuming you have two) and restart the computer should complain about the change and give you the option of entering the BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're using a wireless keyboard and mouse aren't you? Wire up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I recently changed my BIOS firmware settings from UEFI to Legacy. I did this because I installed kali linux onto a USB stick and it was the only way I could get it to work.
    Now I can't get back into the BIOS settings for some reason.
    I tried pressing Esc repeatedly while powering on the computer. I also tried holding F2/F10/F12 individually while powering up to no avail.
    Has anyone faced this problem before?
    I have to change the firmware back to UEFI in order to get Windows 10 up and running again.

What key did you use to get into the BIOS/firmware to change it?
    That will not have changed.

Check the manual for your PC to get the correct key (F1,F2, F8, F10, F12, Esc, Del have all been used on various PCs I have had here) ......... then do a reboot from Kali and hold the key depressed during POST ..... else hit it repeatedly until you get a screen up.

Advertisement