Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What The Feile... Classical?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Free entry to the rebooted Féile if you wear a Fido Dido tshirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Taken out of context, those photos are amazing! It's like field reports from a warzone.

There's something hauntingly beautiful about them - everyone passed out looks so peaceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You can see why the locals got pissed off with the whole thing though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sleepy wrote: »
    You can see why the locals got pissed off with the whole thing though!

It was mad seeing the council use a JCB to scrape the Square clean of cans and other rubbish every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I thought Deacon Blue were playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'd love if the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow made a return visit !!

Anyone remember that at one of the Feiles in Thurles?

Audience members passing out due to what they were seeing on stage (in a tent out the back, not the main stage :D)

Here's an example of one of the performers:

Matt "The Tube" Crowley, whose moniker came from the seven feet of tubing that he would swallow. The other end of the tube was attached to a crude hand pump. Rose himself would fill the pump with a variety of fluids and proceed to pump it into Crowley's stomach, then back out again. Audience members were invited onstage to drink the vile concoction after it had been extricated from Crowley. He would also provide a demonstration of sheer lung power by blowing up a hot water bottle with his mouth until it burst. Other gags included sucking a black condom in through his mouth and out his nose (and reversing the procedure) and working a long piece of plastic fluorescent cord through his nasal passages in order to "floss" his nose.

:pac::pac::pac:

From here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rose_Circus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There's something hauntingly beautiful about them - everyone passed out looks so peaceful.

I was thinking that. it didn’t look dangerous. people were passed out but it didn’t have a huge feeling of violence or threat. Maybe naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

endacl wrote: »
    Free entry to the rebooted Féile if you wear a Fido Dido tshirt!

Am planning on wearing my Screamadelica t-shirt that I bought at Feile 91 with black t-dye hareem pants like the ones I used to wear and docs.

Pure nostalgia hai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was thinking that. it didn’t look dangerous. people were passed out but it didn’t have a huge feeling of violence or threat. Maybe naive.

My memory of '92 was of not seeing any violence, whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

jprboy wrote: »
    I'd love if the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow made a return visit !!

Anyone remember that at one of the Feiles in Thurles?

Audience members passing out due to what they were seeing on stage (in a tent out the back, not the main stage :D)

Here's an example of one of the performers:

Matt "The Tube" Crowley, whose moniker came from the seven feet of tubing that he would swallow. The other end of the tube was attached to a crude hand pump. Rose himself would fill the pump with a variety of fluids and proceed to pump it into Crowley's stomach, then back out again. Audience members were invited onstage to drink the vile concoction after it had been extricated from Crowley. He would also provide a demonstration of sheer lung power by blowing up a hot water bottle with his mouth until it burst. Other gags included sucking a black condom in through his mouth and out his nose (and reversing the procedure) and working a long piece of plastic fluorescent cord through his nasal passages in order to "floss" his nose.

:pac::pac::pac:

From here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rose_Circus
    I was one of the passer-outers. I blamed the drink and the heat in the tent.

Got my ticket....unfortunately no accommodation to be had. Dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Just took a look at ticketmaster out of curiosity and it's not showing any tickets for this. Surely it can't have sold out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

SteM wrote: »
    Just took a look at ticketmaster out of curiosity and it's not showing any tickets for this. Surely it can't have sold out?

Todayfm just said that it’s sold out and a second date is being added

I think it has. One of my mates couldn't get them online but her friend managed to get her one in an outlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Yeah, just saw a tweet about it. Thought it would do well but didn't think it would sell out on the morning. A Friday date has been added, tickets on sale tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Nostalgia sells.

Target market for this are early-mid 40's now (probably female) who will be only delighted to get away from the kids for one night (again no accident that the organisers didn't go for the full weekend) for a night of prosecco swilling and reliving their youth. I can think of half a dozen people I know or work with that will be all over this like a rash.

The only problem with the whole thing is that you have to go all the fcuking way to Tipperary for one friggen night/evening...I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was at ’91, ’92 and ’93.

’91 was amazing – some great bands, particularly on the Friday.

Was at those years myself.

Remember Happy Mondays singing Bob's Yer Uncle.

Ended up sleeping under bails of hay with a friend as we couldn't find the person who had the tent.

Following day I fell asleep near the centre circle of the pitch and then that night on the platform of the train station. Listening to some old American guys on about Woodstock and Vietnam. Probably bullsh1tt1ng :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My ever lasting memory of 1991 was on the Saturday night, I left after Transvision vamp as I cant stand aul nasally Elvis Costello and I was heading back to the campsite. I was walking past some building near the gates to the park and a girl asked me where the toilets were, I had no idea and said 'sure just piss there and i'll keep watch' so she dropped her jeans and squatted down in front of me all the while jabbering on about the bands/event etc She finished and sort of shook herself and pulled up her jeans and proceeded to walk with me to the campsite. She asked me if I wanted a beer and I said yeah why not and we headed towards her tent. Cut a long story short, I ended up staying the night with her and when I went back to my own tent in the morning, my girlfriend wasn't best pleased but I told her I couldn't find our tent and slept in some doorway and had only just woke up. She bought it...sucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Been to the first 3 Feile's and it was an amazing experience each time. The woodstock of our generation or closest to it.
    Amazing thing was how everyone got on with each other and I don't remember anyone boxing the heads of each other.
    And always loved the Hari Krishna tent..fall out of there about 5am in the morning off your head after having a great laugh and getting a kip for a few hours in someone's tent you snuck into and heading back out then ready for more drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

my girlfriend wasn't best pleased but I told her I couldn't find our tent and slept in some doorway and had only just woke up. She bought it...sucker.

And no mobile phones. It was a magical time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads, everyone knows that Feile had nothing on Sunstroke at Dalymount.

And of course I'm not still bitter that I was too young for Feile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The only problem with the whole thing is that you have to go all the fcuking way to Tipperary for one friggen night/evening...I don't think so.

That's the biggest issue for me too. I don't fancy that journey at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Attended three I think? Crazy amount of drink, didn’t realise once you left, you weren’t allowed back in. Slept opposite the fairground, no sleeping bag.

Went down on my todd one year. Baking that weekend, no food, up at dawn drilling scolding cans of 8.6. Then girlfriend arrived on the Sunday. Banged the hoop off her.

Glorious times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

it was grand if you had got the weekend pass and had the bracelet. You could leave then and get back in anytime. The single day passes were in and that was it. But hell it was amazing in the stadium anyway. Just have the 24 pack of cider beside you and you were sorted for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Think the bould Michael Lowry was the one to come up with the idea.

Helped clear the massive debt hanging over the stadium after its renovations.

Smart move on his part, the GAA vote would be fairly strong in North Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Grayson wrote: »
    That's the biggest issue for me too. I don't fancy that journey at all.

What, 90 minutes on a train? Assuming you’re in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Peetroche

Hi my self and my wife have tickets for feile classical this year... We are so looking forward to it but we have a problem... We have a small caravan and looking for somewhere close by to set it up for the two nights... I've tried everything and got nothing.... We were there in the 90ts and loved it.... Please could you help me my phone number is Mod: SNIP. Don't share personal info here please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

^^ :eek:

I think you may be better off trying a different forum, and maybe asking for a PM instead of posting your number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Peetroche wrote: »
    Hi my self and my wife have tickets for feile classical this year... We are so looking forward to it but we have a problem... We have a small caravan and looking for somewhere close by to set it up for the two nights... I've tried everything and got nothing.... We were there in the 90ts and loved it.... Please could you help me my phone number is ********

Delete your number quickly or you'll have every dic*head in the place ringing you at all hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

We couldn't get a hotel in Thurles so we're staying in Cahir, anyone know if there are any buses going from there?? I rang the hotel and she could not have been less helpful.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's amazing to think that we had The Prodigy, Rage Against the Machine, Bjork etc. in Thurles. I was 6 when the first one was on and remember quite a lot from the others. The town was mobbed and my main memory was going through the town with my mother and seeing the lads with the pink and green mohawks drinking beer on the square :D Also a friend of mine's parents live near the stadium and they used set up their back garden for tents and I get loads of mattresses etc from other family members. I went around with them in the van collecting all this stuff. Such great times though and it brought MASSIVE money not only into Semple Stadium but into the town too.

The tickets for this one were released 10,000 at a time as far as I know. It's not expected that the place will be full.

The reason it stopped in Thurles wasn't because of the residents but because the arch bishop at the time was firmly against it. It then moved to Cork. I've been a huge Prodigy fan for years and I have their set on CD and MP3. There was about 3 power cuts during it!

Also, Leeroy Thornhill who used be with The Prodigy is doing a DJ set in Hayes's each night.

Peetroche wrote: »
    Hi my self and my wife have tickets for feile classical this year... We are so looking forward to it but we have a problem... We have a small caravan and looking for somewhere close by to set it up for the two nights... I've tried everything and got nothing.... We were there in the 90ts and loved it.... Please could you help me my phone number is Mod: SNIP. Don't share personal info here please.

I may have an option for you and a few others bringing caravans. Located around the corner (1 minute walk) from Semple Stadium.

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Went to the first one , just went to the Fri night with the gf at the time - 19years old bought cans of Fosters and drank them down by the river - Great gig, Big Country were excellent, and Meat Loaf played later than he should have (if I remember right?)

In 92, went for the weekend, big gang of us , drunken fun , no fcuk acting, gf passed out and her best mate stuck her tongue in my mouth :) ....

1n 93, some scobies jumped us and ended up in nenagh hospital for the night , and then had to thumb home....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

1994 - a big gang of us went posh, booked a B&B. Best weekend ever !! the family slept in tents in the back garden and gave us their beds !!!!
    We woke up on the Saturday morning, and noticed our Doc Martens were gone from where we left them at the front door.... we went out to the kitchen where the woman of the house was cooking the 10 of us a big fry, while the man of the house was washing 10 pairs of Docs at the sink !!!!!!

I didn't go to the Cork feile.
    I went to the Day trip to tipp in 97 - I forgot the Foos were at that !!

I will be in Thurles for the latest installment.....

What family was that or whereabouts in town were they?

What family was that or whereabouts in town were they?

they were called Ryans ( common Tipp name) I couldn't find the estate now!

But we had to walk past the Cathedral on our way into the Square, and the man was 'bouncing' at an off licence or at Tesco (?) I think...

legends they were !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Hi folks,

Anyone know of anywhere that someone could pitch a tent for a couple of nights nearby the gig? Happy to pay a few bob..

I've looked for campsites but can't find anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Hi folks,

If this is against the rules mods please delete. I have 2 tickets for the Saturday and now can't go, so if anyone has any interest in them let me know. I'll advertise elsewhere during the week, but just thought I'd throw them here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Hi ive 2 tickets for friday 21 at face value if anybody's interested?

Advertisement