Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Malahide Tournament

• 25-04-2018 8:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

I am surprised that there are not more entries yet for the upcoming Malahide tournament. It is always a very strong well organised event in a good venue.
    https://www.icu.ie/events/911

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 UCDynamite

Hardly an ideal location. Id say it will fill up closer to the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I'd say people are entering through the Malahide website as well. Those people wouldn't necessarily be on the ICU list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I've requested the full list of entries which I should be able to upload once I get them on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

I've requested the full list of entries which I should be able to upload once I get them on Sunday night.

That's very helpful of you. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the full list. It's always such a good and well run tournament.

70 entries in all now - site updated.

Tonight is the discount deadline for those planning on playing who'd like to pay a little less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

70 entries in all now - site updated.

Tonight is the discount deadline for those planning on playing who'd like to pay a little less.

Can you clarify - the flyer attached to the calendar on the ICU website says the discounted entry is available until the 2nd May?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Can somebody please clarify on the venue. The map attached to the ICU calendar shows a location that looks closer to Santry village than the airport.
    Is the competition taking place in the airport complex or a couple of kilometers away?

Rathminor wrote: »
    Can somebody please clarify on the venue. The map attached to the ICU calendar shows a location that looks closer to Santry village than the airport.
    Is the competition taking place in the airport complex or a couple of kilometers away?

Fixed now

Rathminor wrote: »
    Can you clarify - the flyer attached to the calendar on the ICU website says the discounted entry is available until the 2nd May?

My mistake - it is the 2nd (tomorrow). Entry rates have not been raised. I misremembered the flyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

There is a very healthy entry for the tournament now but one thing that baffles me is the players being listed with their ICU ratings when it is a FIDE rated event. Surely FIDE ratings should be used for seeding etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

sodacat11 wrote: »
    There is a very healthy entry for the tournament now but one thing that baffles me is the players being listed with their ICU ratings when it is a FIDE rated event. Surely FIDE ratings should be used for seeding etc?

I think the entry system on ICU.ie automatically inserts ICU ratings but it should be changed to FIDE when seedings are done, as indeed occurred with our senior tournament in January.

The May FIDE ratings are up now but the last round of the Leinster Leagues will only be included for the June list.

In the flyer for the Malahide Tournament 'OVER 1800' is actually underlined as being the rating requirement for the Senior section yet a 1725 and a 1756 have been admitted. What is the point of making rules if they are going to be so easily discarded?Why can't the two players in question just play in the section for which they are actually eligible?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It may be that they selected to play the top section when entering, and the controllers will reallocate them in due course

cdeb wrote: »
    It may be that they selected to play the top section when entering, and the controllers will reallocate them in due course

I hope you are right. I was just wondering what the Advertising Standards Authority would make of the practice we often see at Irish chess tournaments of advertising a tournament as being one thing (i.e within certain rating bands) and then reneging on their promise and delivering something else after accepting payments. Normally if you pay for a product or service you are legally entitled to get what was advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I hope you are right. I was just wondering what the Advertising Standards Authority would make of the practice we often see at Irish chess tournaments of advertising a tournament as being one thing (i.e within certain rating bands) and then reneging on their promise and delivering something else after accepting payments. Normally if you pay for a product or service you are legally entitled to get what was advertised.

Where would we be without you as our constant watchdog, sodacat?

You have become the Vincent Browne of Irish chess! Keep it up!

Where would we be without you as our constant watchdog, sodacat?

You have become the Vincent Browne of Irish chess! Keep it up!

:) I will keep up my campaign until tournaments stop ignoring their own rating requirements and until the silly "within 50 or 100 point" nonsense is scrapped.

I think the entry system on ICU.ie automatically inserts ICU ratings but it should be changed to FIDE when seedings are done, as indeed occurred with our senior tournament in January.t.

One would imagine that what you say would be done but what has actually happened with the seedings and listings is that the HIGHER of the two ratings (ICU or FIDE) is being used for each player. The logic of this completely escapes me but then again so does making five players take a bye to facilitate the entry of a player who isn't even eligible to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 UCDynamite

I can see that a draw has been made on the Malahide website. Does anyone know if this is the final draw for the first round and now late entries will be paired together?

Can an admin combine these two threads?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868376

Entries are still being taken on the Malahide site and will be taken on the day as usual. So, there are no Byes yet

Advertisement