Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options
  • 25-04-2018 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

This city has gone completely mad with traffic. Its really gone well past a joke and the council seem to be doing nothing. 1hr 10min to get home yesterday evening which should have been only 40mins and an hour to get to work this morning. Long queues out to Briar Hill every evening. Everyone trying to get out of the city and cant. I just wonder what are those engineers doing in them council offices everyday. One simple thing that could improve briar hill alone would be to extend the slip roads going to Carnmore and Doughiska and create another job for that cops that sits there in the sun waiting to catch people trying to get home to collect kids etc....

WAKE UP GALWAY TD'S & ENGINEERS AND TAKE YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pmason wrote: »
    This city has gone completely mad with traffic. Its really gone well past a joke and the council seem to be doing nothing. 1hr 10min to get home yesterday evening which should have been only 40mins and an hour to get to work this morning. Long queues out to Briar Hill every evening. Everyone trying to get out of the city and cant. I just wonder what are those engineers doing in them council offices everyday. One simple thing that could improve briar hill alone would be to extend the slip roads going to Carnmore and Doughiska and create another job for that cops that sits there in the sun waiting to catch people trying to get home to collect kids etc....

WAKE UP GALWAY TD'S & ENGINEERS AND TAKE YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND!

The city is full to the gills with cars
    Too many people driving everywhere , too many cars in small space
    Short term need Buses and park and rides and people to get on a bike or walk for short journeys
    Council and employers need to work together to incentivise or cajole people to use these services
    Long term roads are years away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Oh look a traffic thread, hurray. Surely these should just be merged at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Sure look what happened in cork.

As soon as the City Council make any move to cajole people out of their cars there is uproar because people can't drive their cars right in through the front door of the shops and businesses also complaining that customers might have to park a 5 minute walk away and not be able to drive up to the till.

We want no traffic but we still want to drive our cars EVERYWHERE.
    Typical irish attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sure look what happened in cork.

As soon as the City Council make any move to cajole people out of their cars there is uproar because people can't drive their cars right in through the front door of the shops and businesses also complaining that customers might have to park a 5 minute walk away and not be able to drive up to the till.

We want no traffic but we still want to drive our cars EVERYWHERE.
    Typical irish attitude.

I think the uproar came from city council members....who may have had a vested interest in city centre businesses.

I don't normally venture into the city centre, but needed to go in Monday. The traffic at peak time was horrendous and I couldn't for the life of me do it everyday. To spend all that time after your working day stuck in clogged up roads must be mind numbingly boring and soul destroying.

Everyone involved in planning our city and all those coming into the city needs to play their part to end this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Galway is fukd with traffic.they have about 400 sets of lights bet into the city with some backed up onto the last set.theres about 10 sets between doughiska and bohermore.theres some fukr on a backhander selling lights and keeping the boys in jobs.half them aren’t even synchronized properly. If a car comes in the coast road from Oran they stop the full flow on Dublin road.what the fcuk is that about.they could have just merged that lane for all that use it.
    There wasn’t half the problem when they had roundabouts in Galway and half the fukrs on the road could drive properly.
    Use indicators ye animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Roundabouts are fine but you get elderly people complaining to councillors that they want pedestrian lights and then that rolls down through to roads department and they come under pressure to change roundabouts for lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Plenty of Galway drivers haven't a notion how to use roundabouts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Just a thought, but maybe proper transport is needed.....perhaps something similar to the gluas proposal. Something that runs on time. - and not a train service that is slower than cycling ;)

Maybe even building public transport into the city plan. I wonder have they done this with the new place in ardaun or are they just expecting a bus route?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I caught the bus.

Yesterday i got to work in Parkmore in 45 minutes (including the 10 minute walk from the bus stop to the office and 5 mins from home to bus stop).

Getting home took longer ... about 70 mins all up including the 15 mins walking and 10 mins waiting for the bus.

But becaude i wasn't driving, read the paper and cleared emails while travelling.

Fwiw.

I caught the bus.

Yesterday i got to work in Parkmore in 45 minutes (including the 10 minute walk from the bus stop to the office and 5 mins from home to bus stop).

Getting home took longer ... about 70 mins all up including the 15 mins walking and 10 mins waiting for the bus.

But becaude i wasn't driving, read the paper and cleared emails while travelling.

Fwiw.

Where( roughly) you're traveling from might give some context to the times given.
    Is it much faster /slower than by car/ bicycle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Authorising car pooling vehicles to use the bus lanes would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a moped,scooter or motorbike...

Remember back in early 2000 there were so many on bikes.

I've been back living and working in Galway for over 3 years now. Work on one side of the city. Live on the other side. I dont find traffic all that bad.
    I come into work early to beat the traffic, and leave during peak times. Rarely ever takes more than 45 minutes home. Lots of times I can do it in 30 minutes.

I've previously relied on public transport in Dublin to get in and out of work. Much happier sitting in traffic, than standing at a bus stop, waiting for a full bus to arrive, so that I can stand for the duration of my journey

Get a moped,scooter or motorbike...

Remember back in early 2000 there were so many on bikes.

The clowns calling the shots will make you jump through hoops now to get a license for a bike or moped.costs up to a grand for compulsory course and lessons before you can do the test and then pay a fortune for insurance.then buy gear and a bike and sit out in all weather on it.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Plenty of Galway drivers haven't a notion how to use roundabouts either.

You should try a roundabout in mayo.left lane is first exit only and everything else doing kamikaze runs in the right hand lane.they are even arrowed that way.no second exit off left lane in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You should try a roundabout in mayo.left lane is first exit only and everything else doing kamikaze runs in the right hand lane.they are even arrowed that way.no second exit off left lane in mayo.

Rubbish :rolleyes:

Rubbish :rolleyes:

Not at all.check out the roundabouts in cbar.the one below McHale Park at the garage is definitely arrowed that way as are more of them.

Not at all.check out the roundabouts in cbar.the one below McHale Park at the garage is definitely arrowed that way as are more of them.

I go through that roundabout every morning, you are very much mistaken

I go through that roundabout every morning, you are very much mistaken

Come down from the ring road at back of McHale Park into that roundabout where left for Headford straight for Westport at garage.its marked left in left lane and right straight on in right lane.it definitely was last time I was through it.more of them are the same

Come down from the ring road at back of McHale Park into that roundabout where left for Headford straight for Westport at garage.its marked left in left lane and right straight on in right lane.it definitely was last time I was through it.more of them are the same

Oh thats not the one i mean. Though im nearly sure you are wrong, ill check it out this week. maybe the arrows are wrong but there is definetley a 2nd left exit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Roundabout at Cemetery Cross is especially bad if travelling out the Tuam Road. People (particularly taxi drivers) in the right-hand lane and travelling straight on is a regular occurrence. I've seen many close calls there and have had 1 or 2 myself. Then you have the people sitting in yellow boxes...

Seems loads of people still go first 2 exits left lane, last 2 exits right lane and get flustered with more than 4 exits.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Roundabout at Cemetery Cross is especially bad if travelling out the Tuam Road. People (particularly taxi drivers) in the right-hand lane and travelling straight on is a regular occurrence. I've seen many close calls there and have had 1 or 2 myself. Then you have the people sitting in yellow boxes...

Seems loads of people still go first 2 exits left lane, last 2 exits right lane and get flustered with more than 4 exits.

One at Oran jacks house at end of dual carriage in Oran is the same.people are always in right hand lane and go straight across and cut over then for limerick exit going toward cbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Oh thats not the one i mean. Though im nearly sure you are wrong, ill check it out this week. maybe the arrows are wrong but there is definetley a 2nd left exit

Google maps says you're both right. Or both wrong. Or something...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.85198...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.85190...2!8i6656?hl=en

Obviously different images taken on different occasions. No idea which is more recent.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Google maps says you're both right. Or both wrong. Or something...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.85198...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.85190...2!8i6656?hl=en

Obviously different images taken on different occasions. No idea which is more recent.

I’ll agree to disagree zippy.it was definitely arrowed wrong when I went through it.it might have just been a mistake and changed

Jesus lads, we have enough issues with Galway traffic without dragging roundabouts in Mayo into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Roundabout way to bring thread totally off the roundabout........

Too many in cars it's that simple.

Next time you see a bicycle or motorbike pass think they are one less car blocking all the rest of you in.

On the topic of lessons etc for bikes that's a good thing and nothing stopping one doing so on their own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I really wish Galway would sort out it's traffic problem .... just so I Don't have to hear about 'bother na drav' or whatever every 5mins on any feckin radio station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Cycle. Way easier than coping with unpredictable journey times. If you have to spend time commuting anyway you might as well get some benefit out of it.

Roundabout way to bring thread totally off the roundabout........

Too many in cars it's that simple.

Next time you see a bicycle or motorbike pass think they are one less car blocking all the rest of you in.

On the topic of lessons etc for bikes that's a good thing and nothing stopping one doing so on their own bike.

I’m all for education and road safety but the new lessons brought in for bikes is a joke and far too expensive. The cc to kw conversion is a joke aswell created to spin money.id have no issue with the lessons and course if it was reasonably priced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

An outer ring road and new bridge will solve a lot of the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement