Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Discodog wrote: »
    So you pay thousands in purchase price, depreciation, taxes, running costs etc & hardly ever use it ? Must be nice to have so much money.

Most cyclists & a large proportion of public transport users are drivers and own cars Discodog. And they’re just as important as you, they have jobs, clients and things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Most cyclists & a large proportion of public transport users are drivers and own cars Discodog. And they’re just as important as you, they have jobs, clients and things to do.

And children to bring to crèche on the way to and from work.
    Can't put them all on a bike unfortunately.

Addle wrote: »

There is pretty much no area of Galway city that is more than a 10-15 min walk from a creche.

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/TuslaInspectionReports/index.html

There is pretty much no area of Galway city that is more than a 10-15 min walk from a creche.

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/TuslaInspectionReports/index.html

Most people drop of kids on their way to work you hardly expect them to walk to the crèche, walk home and then drive to work most likely in wet, cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

But try bringing heavy tools on a bus. And having to wait hours until there is a bus & discovering that there isn't even a bus. I have to drive.

There is a clear opinion that, rather than build a proper by pass, we just force people or make it difficult for people to cross or enter the city. I avoid it whenever I can & I avoid peak times.

A simple, easy park & ride would reduce the traffic especially combined with high all day, monday to friday, parking charges & taxing of work parking places.

It must be nice to be able to afford a car & then use it as a luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

But try bringing heavy tools on a bus. And having to wait hours until there is a bus & discovering that there isn't even a bus. I have to drive.

There is a clear opinion that, rather than build a proper by pass, we just force people or make it difficult for people to cross or enter the city. I avoid it whenever I can & I avoid peak times.

A simple, easy park & ride would reduce the traffic especially combined with high all day, monday to friday, parking charges & taxing of work parking places.

Where in Galway city would wait you hours for a bus and then discover there wasn't one? Are you suggesting someone would be waiting during the night hours, say 2am - 6am?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where in Galway city would wait you hours for a bus and then discover there wasn't one?

At an orphan bus stop. One example is the bus shelter inbound on Monivea rd a bit past the Castlepark turn. Its leftover from before the current 409 service was introduced, and is now not served by any buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Where in Galway city would wait you hours for a bus and then discover there wasn't one?

At an orphan bus stop. One example is the bus shelter inbound on Monivea rd a bit past the Castlepark turn. Its leftover from before the current 409 service was introduced, and is now not served by any buses.
    Ha! My friend (a foreigner) waited there for about an half an hour when he first came to Galway. Until an old lady passing by told him that stop wasn't in use :)

So not at an actual bus stop, congrats on your always pointless/deliberately tosser-y contributions.

Where in Galway city would wait you hours for a bus and then discover there wasn't one? Are you suggesting someone would be waiting during the night hours, say 2am - 6am?

Who said anything about the city ? I live out West. We have about 4 buses a day. So if we are good commuters & use the bus we had better be careful not to miss the bus home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Addle wrote: »

I brought mine to crèche in a bike trailer, they cycle to school now.

That's exactly what's happening in Dublin too. They're trying to force the cars out. So people use alternative ways of getting in.

Agreed.

Two actually. And it's lovely. And way cheaper than buying a car and using it every day, less fuel, less wear and tear, less servicing, better tyre longevity etc.. and I'm physically and mentally stronger as I don't spend hours sitting in it.

Who said anything about the city ? I live out West. We have about 4 buses a day. So if we are good commuters & use the bus we had better be careful not to miss the bus home.
    Well yes if your using public transport it's quite important to know the time tables, I don't know of any major issues with buses not turning up on county routes as I only use city buses occasionally (seeing as we are in a thread on city traffic and the city being crazy) , which ones specifically aren't turning up?

So not at an actual bus stop, congrats on your always pointless/deliberately tosser-y contributions.

Anyone looking at it would think it's a bus stop. It looks like a bus stop, smells like a bus stop etc. And is a known place where people wait ages for a bus only to hear from a passerby that no bus is coming. Exactly what was asked for.

Keep it Classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Have to, as in you're a tradesman or similar? In that case you would particularly want any one who could not drive to do so, its an obvious benefit to you if there is less car traffic. For me if I had to use a van I'd be looking at supporting any measure that reduced car traffic - obviously you would want things like local access routes to be open to you which I don't think many or any people would object to.

jjpep wrote: »
    Have to, as in you're a tradesman or similar? In that case you would particularly want any one who could not drive to do so, its an obvious benefit to you if there is less car traffic. For me if I had to use a van I'd be looking at supporting any measure that reduced car traffic - obviously you would want things like local access routes to be open to you which I don't think many or any people would object to.

But & there is always a but, how do you identify who can drive into the city ? Special passes ? Only commercial vehicles ? Maybe a cost to register your vehicle ? Who will enforce the rules & how much will that cost ? Lots of tradespeople don't drive vans & a lot of non trades people do.

But & there is always a but, how do you identify who can drive into the city ? Special passes ? Only commercial vehicles ? Maybe a cost to register your vehicle ? Who will enforce the rules & how much will that cost ? Lots of tradespeople don't drive vans & a lot of non trades people do.

Indeed. I've had a couple of good tradespeople tell me lately that they don't have signage on their vehicles because they don't want to be a target for thieves and they don't want walk-up customers because they have enough work from word of mouth.

Ones doing residential work can have their customers get visitor passes. But commercial premises don't even get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

jjpep wrote: »

Thats the key, for every tradesman with tools there are multiples that of people(single car use) driving to work who carry nothing to and from the office. Just checkout any of the business parks like Parkmore at 16h00 to see this.

But & there is always a but, how do you identify who can drive into the city?

Sigh, you are really getting into tinfoil hat territory with the rest of your post (which I won't even bother quoting)

It's simple, stopping trying to make it complicated

Anyone who NEEDS to drive in CAN, but they should WANT to use any other form of transport because they are
    1. Cheaper
    2. Faster
    3. More reliable
    4. Have Zero parking costs
    5. Healthier
    6. Greener

Anyone who DOES drive a private vehicle into the city should be at the bottom of the ladder in terms of priority due to the dreadful inefficiencies of using that form of transport.

Yes plumbers and other trades will be caught in this but at the end of the day, they are driving a private vehicle and do not warrant any special treatment. Sure, some might throw their toys out of the pram and refuse to work in the city, but there will always be folks who will take the work,understand the reasoning, and get on with making a living.

There is nobody special in this situation, it's simply a matter of a limited amount of space to carry an increasingly higher number of people

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Serious deja vu with this circular argument. All we are missing is the hurling lad and his photo of the bus passengers in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Another is at the Cathedral. Unused as far I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

bobbyss wrote: »
    Another is at the Cathedral. Unused as far I know.

Used by Private Buses for the Uni - so used on Friday afternoons/evenings.
    Was not the intention for the installation of these shelters.
    Another Ghost Bus Stop Shelter is the one at Corrach Bui/Circular Road in Rahoon.

Sigh, you are really getting into tinfoil hat territory with the rest of your post (which I won't even bother quoting)

It's simple, stopping trying to make it complicated

Anyone who NEEDS to drive in CAN, but they should WANT to use any other form of transport because they are
    1. Cheaper
    2. Faster
    3. More reliable
    4. Have Zero parking costs
    5. Healthier
    6. Greener

Anyone who DOES drive a private vehicle into the city should be at the bottom of the ladder in terms of priority due to the dreadful inefficiencies of using that form of transport.

Yes plumbers and other trades will be caught in this but at the end of the day, they are driving a private vehicle and do not warrant any special treatment. Sure, some might throw their toys out of the pramand refuse to work in the city, but there will always be folks who will take the work,understand the reasoning, and get on with making a living.

There is nobody special in this situation, it's simply a matter of a limited amount of space to carry an increasingly higher number of people

We will all simply charge more. I just agreed some work that will involve crossing the city. I just added an extra charge.

We will all simply charge more. I just agreed some work that will involve crossing the city. I just added an extra charge.

Such is market forces

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

There were big sings out yesterday on Bishop O'Donnell rd and Seamus Quirke rd "Bus lanes open to all traffic" this was to facilitate the hurling.

It was just a shame they ended up blocking the cycle lane all along the stretch of road with these signs.

CRAZY!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

topcat77 wrote: »
    There were big sings out yesterday on Bishop O'Donnell rd and Seamus Quirke rd "Bus lanes open to all traffic" this was to facilitate the hurling.
    It was just a shame they ended up blocking the cycle lane all along the stretch of road with these signs.

CRAZY!!!!!
    Normal
    gkWBqVN.jpglIM0Hlj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

There's definitely a few ways to solve this problem, and perhaps the cleverest thing to do would be to look at other cities and see what they do. The congestion charge in London would be a place to start.

The implementation would of course be important but I don't think there's any real barrier to doing it.

Not to put words in your mouth, but if we're talking about the details of how this would work I would presume that means you agree the concept itself is good. I.e. reducing access to the city for private vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

zell12 wrote: »
    topcat77 wrote: »

CRAZY!!!!!
    Normal
    gkWBqVN.jpglIM0Hlj.jpg
    i'd write an email to the city council complaining about that ! [font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]customerservice@galwaycity.ie [/font]

thebackbar wrote: »
    i'd write an email to the city council complaining about that ! [font=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]customerservice@galwaycity.ie [/font]

Its no wonder cyclists rub people up the wrong way so much when they would go making an issue out of things like this. Cycle around it ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Its no wonder cyclists rub people up the wrong way so much when they would go making an issue out of things like this. Cycle around it ffs.

"Bloody cyclists, get in the cycle lane!"

"Bloody cyclists, complaining about blocking cycle lanes!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement