Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Its no wonder cyclists rub people up the wrong way so much when they would go making an issue out of things like this. Cycle around it ffs.

Rub you up the wrong way. Remember, you're not the spokesman for the "vast majority" you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Reading the rants from motorists/ cyclists / pedestrians etc on here we actually have the city we deserve .
    It's every man/ woman / child and beast for themselves .
    Yesterdays free for all around salthill will only be surpassed by next Sunday.
    Next Sunday we have galway v Sligo in salthill and a concert held at the galway airport .
    I've always said ... Galway is great at getting events .
    Hasn't a clue how to host them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

topcat77 wrote:
    It was just a shame they ended up blocking the cycle lane all along the stretch of road with these signs.

topcat77 wrote:
    CRAZY!!!!!

I wouldn't say the cycle lane was blocked all along the stretch of road as such. Did you notice how any cyclists overcame this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

bobbyss wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the cycle lane was blocked all along the stretch of road as such. Did you notice how any cyclists overcame this problem?

some people went around it by going on to the road not the safest thing in the world to be doing. You want to encourage an environment where cycling is safe in order to promote more people to leave there cars at home, by placing bollards on the cycle lane the powers that be clearly think that these lanes aren't important.

Next time your driving notice how many drivers will disrespect cycles lanes by stalling in traffic on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Its no wonder cyclists rub people up the wrong way so much when they would go making an issue out of things like this. Cycle around it ffs.

Am I missing the point. Are you joking or trolling. It IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. Dangerous and disrespectful. Open the bus lanes so inexperienced drivers use them and the force bikes I to the same lane? How do you see this as not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

work wrote: »
    Am I missing the point. Are you joking or trolling. It IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. Dangerous and disrespectful. Open the bus lanes so inexperienced drivers use them and the force bikes I to the same lane? How do you see this as not an issue.

We need a brexit end of. Country full at this stage. Traffic in all cities now a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

thebackbar wrote:
    some people went around it by going on to the road not the safest thing in the world to be doing. You want to encourage an environment where cycling is safe in order to promote more people to leave there cars at home, by placing bollards on the cycle lane the powers that be clearly think that these lanes aren't important.

An alternative and safer approach may be to dismount and walk bike on path and onto cycle lane again. No need to be on the main road and to feel safety is compromised.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Reading the rants from motorists/ cyclists / pedestrians etc on here we actually have the city we deserve .
    It's every man/ woman / child and beast for themselves .
    Yesterdays free for all around salthill will only be surpassed by next Sunday.
    Next Sunday we have galway v Sligo in salthill and a concert held at the galway airport .
    I've always said ... Galway is great at getting events .
    Hasn't a clue how to host them.

Ya and some people love to bash Galway at any given opportunity...

Ed Sheehan concert was perceived as well organised and hosted

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

bobbyss wrote: »
    An alternative and safer approach may be to dismount and walk bike on path and onto cycle lane again. No need to be on the main road and to feel safety is compromised.

A safer approach again would be for drivers to exit their vehicles and push them around dangerous junctions and places where the safety of vulnerable road users is compromised.

I know you're trolling here but cycling will still be a major mode of transport long after the private car is a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This thread should be renamed the Post it in Capitals thread :rolleyes:

It's not an issue. It's a minor inconvenience affecting a few people for part of one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jjpep wrote: »
    There's definitely a few ways to solve this problem, and perhaps the cleverest thing to do would be to look at other cities and see what they do. The congestion charge in London would be a place to start.

The implementation would of course be important but I don't think there's any real barrier to doing it.

Not to put words in your mouth, but if we're talking about the details of how this would work I would presume that means you agree the concept itself is good. I.e. reducing access to the city for private vehicles.

The Council have been looking for years & years. The congestion charge for a tiny town like Galway ? I approve of the concept but not the method of castigating car drivers that have no alternative. Give through traffic an alternative that works.

How much does the Council earn from car parking charges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Rub you up the wrong way. Remember, you're not the spokesman for the "vast majority" you think you are.

Nox represents the views of more people than you might think.

Most of them won't be posting here because being "unlikeable" would worry them. (I don't care what internet randoms think of me. But many do.)

I often don't agree with his views - but he absolutely has a right to express them. And it's actually helpful to express them rather than have an echo chamber populated only by athletic city dwellers.

And in this case, he's right. In my observation people who use bicycles tend to be rugged individualists who rub people up the wrong way. That's a tendancy, not a statement about all of them.

And their lack of insurance and law enforcement on them does p*ss other road users off.

Next time you're on the road actually observe what drivers are doing. Drivers disregard the law at a much, much higher frequency than cyclists and that's been proven. Go find a yellow box or a red light or an advance stop box or a mandatory cycle lane or a footpath and watch it for 5 minutes and you'll be amazed at the complete ignorance of every one of them.

Cyclists only annoy drivers because they're getting where they want to go with fewer hindrances and there's an unconscious blindness to driver behaviour from other drivers. Drivers are the problem on the road. Drivers are the congestion. More cyclists is one of the easiest solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yay, cyclist vs cars, again...
    I'll jump in since the original issue cannot be fixed in this thread and it's just
    benjamin d wrote: »
    Drivers disregard the law at a much, much higher frequency than cyclists and that's been proven.
    You forgot a source.
    Do you mean this one?

The above cycle blog source means that because cars speed they are worse than cyclists. Although I would argue that if cyclists could speed, they would :D
    Now I am all for cycling in the city but that is just apples and oranges.

If we look at a single serious issue, breaking red lights, then I think it is easier to compare disregarding the law..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Discodog wrote: »
    There's definitely a few ways to solve this problem, and perhaps the cleverest thing to do would be to look at other cities and see what they do.  The congestion charge in London would be a place to start.

The implementation would of course be important but I don't think there's any real barrier to doing it.

Not to put words in your mouth, but if we're talking about the details of how this would work I would presume that means you agree the concept itself is good.  I.e. reducing access to the city for private vehicles.

The Council have been looking for years & years.  The congestion charge for a tiny town like Galway ?  I approve of the concept but not the method of castigating car drivers that have no alternative.  Give through traffic an alternative that works.

Implementing congestion charges is becoming cheaper as the technology evolves. I think its a great idea, for example they could be enabled during peak hours, it would encourage people to car pool and use school buses. You could counter this with a reduction in vat on petrol\diesel

Just to be clear I suggest this as means for Galway city to grow larger, i don't believe our city can grow larger whilst cars with a single occupant are the predominant means of getting around. However I'd be very interested in someone contracting me on this fact.

biko wrote: »
    I'll jump in since the original issue cannot be fixed in this thread and it's just

You forgot a source.
    Do you mean this one?

The above cycle blog source means that because cars speed they are worse than cyclists. Although I would argue that of cyclist could speed, they would :D

If we look at a single serious issue, breaking red lights, then I think it is easier to compare disregarding the law..

You really think a 1.5 tonne car speeding is a less serious issue than a 70kg person on a 15kg bike breaking a red light at 10-20km/h? Speeding drivers cause the huge majority of road fatalities and yet you think cyclists jumping red lights is the "serious issue"??

And if you want to compare red lights... www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-dublin-3018953-Oct2016/
    Drivers skip red lights in the most dangerous way imaginable - putting their foot down to speed through a junction when they have no right to. The vast majority of cyclists who do it (which is fewer people than you think) approach the light and move on when it's clear. I drive and cycle and I obey the lights on both modes, but it is not even comparable who the biggest culprits for it are, and that's drivers.

And just remember that only the front car is usually physically able to skip the light, whereas every cyclist on the road can filter to the light, so if 4 drivers are skipping and 4 cyclists that's 80% of the cars who actually had an opportunity to do so but 4 out of all the bikes in the traffic.

Of course its not an issue, it's extremely easy to to just cycle around it. Cyclists are well able to ignore cycle lanes when it's suits them but throw a fit over 2 yards of a detour.

Also the bus lane is just a lane, what experience does a driver need to drive on it over a normal lane. None is the answer, bus lanes are regularly opens to cars in other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »

You forgot a source.
    Do you mean this one?

The above cycle blog source means that because cars speed they are worse than cyclists. Although I would argue that of cyclist could speed, they would :D

You really think a 1.5 tonne car speeding is a less serious issue than a 70kg person on a 15kg bike breaking a red light at 10-20km/h? Speeding drivers cause the huge majority of road fatalities and yet you think cyclists jumping red lights is the "serious issue"??

And if you want to compare red lights... www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-dublin-3018953-Oct2016/
    Drivers skip red lights in the most dangerous way imaginable - putting their foot down to speed through a junction when they have no right to. The vast majority of cyclists who do it (which is fewer people than you think) approach the light and move on when it's clear. I drive and cycle and I obey the lights on both modes, but it is not even comparable who the biggest culprits for it are, and that's drivers.

And just remember that only the front car is usually physically able to skip the light, whereas every cyclist on the road can filter to the light, so if 4 drivers are skipping and 4 cyclists that's 80% of the cars who actually had an opportunity to do so but 4 out of all the bikes in the traffic.
    As a daily cyclist I see drivers breaking red lights at literally every junction I come to on both of my daily journeyd, it's ridiculous behaviour. Excusing it is speaks volumes about that person.

As a daily cyclist I see drivers breaking red lights at literally every junction I come to on both of my daily journeyd, it's ridiculous behaviour. Excusing it is speaks volumes about that person.

I see cyclists break red lights at every single junction, cut across lanes, cycle on footpaths and cycle in a dangerous manner every single day of the week.

I see cyclists break red lights at every single junction, cut across lanes, cycle on footpaths and cycle in a dangerous manner every single day of the week.
    Is that cyclist likely to cause deaths due to their poor behaviour? Unlikely, is the driver? Far more likely. Cyclists are often forced onto footpaths due to the rude behavior of many drivers, driving in double yellow lines, speeding, turning without looking, opening doors without looking, lack of cycle lanes etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Jesus this is tiresome. It's not the mode of transport that makes the person. We have a general crappy attitude to transport in this country. Everyone seems to think they should be allowed move as fast as physically possible towards their destination. Like children in a playground. Nobody seems to understand that a steady flow would get us all around faster. Be it car, bus, bike of by foot.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Jesus this is tiresome. It's not the mode of transport that makes the person. We have a general crappy attitude to transport in this country. Everyone seems to think they should be allowed move as fast as physically possible towards their destination. Like children in a playground. Nobody seems to understand that a steady flow would get us all around faster. Be it car, bus, bike of by foot.
    Tiresome indeed.
    A pointless thread, going in circles, similar to the other one ongoing at the moment which is essentially a transport/traffic thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Actually I thought this thread was going well.  But now has become a pointless cyclist vs motorist thread instead.
    "you lot break red lights"
    "no, you lot lot break red lights"

Boring and doesn't make any real contribution to the topic at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Next time you're on the road actually observe what drivers are doing. Drivers disregard the law at a much, much higher frequency than cyclists and that's been proven. Go find a yellow box or a red light or an advance stop box or a mandatory cycle lane or a footpath and watch it for 5 minutes and you'll be amazed at the complete ignorance of every one of them.

Cyclists only annoy drivers because they're getting where they want to go with fewer hindrances and there's an unconscious blindness to driver behaviour from other drivers. Drivers are the problem on the road. Drivers are the congestion. More cyclists is one of the easiest solutions.

I'm on the road / footpath as a pedestrian every single day.

I have a near miss with a cyclist most days. I rarely have one with car user.

And while the car might kill me while the bicycle only injures me, the car driver will at least have insurance to cover my medical expenses.

Walking and expanded public transport is a lot easier to implement than widespread cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Discodog wrote: »
    There's definitely a few ways to solve this problem, and perhaps the cleverest thing to do would be to look at other cities and see what they do.  The congestion charge in London would be a place to start.

Not to put words in your mouth, but if we're talking about the details of how this would work I would presume that means you agree the concept itself is good.  I.e. reducing access to the city for private vehicles.

The Council have been looking for years & years.  The congestion charge for a tiny town like Galway ?  I approve of the concept but not the method of castigating car drivers that have no alternative.  Give through traffic an alternative that works.

Maybe instead of a congestion charge someone would get a fine if they accessed a local area?  Have seen similar in Italy.  You need to have proof of address in the area or get temporary access from a resident.  Not sure about trades people, perhaps they would get a yearly license or similar.

Good point about the parking revenue.  It seems a bit contradictory to expect the body that profits from car traffic to solve the problem of car traffic.  Maybe that's why there still is no solution?

Is that cyclist likely to cause deaths due to their poor behaviour? Unlikely, is the driver? Far more likely. Cyclists are often forced onto footpaths due to the rude behavior of many drivers, driving in double yellow lines, speeding, turning without looking, opening doors without looking, lack of cycle lanes etc etc etc.

Can a cyclist kill someone with poor behaviour, yes they can. The fact that you are defending cyclists cycling dangerously simply because they are less likely to kill you than a car says all anyone needs to know about your opinion on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    Normal
    gkWBqVN.jpglIM0Hlj.jpg

A member of the public moved them, just slightly back them to the bus bay section in front of the bin. Blocking nobody. That person must have far more intelligence that the idiots in Galway City Council who placed them in this traffic lane.

Can a cyclist kill someone with poor behaviour, yes they can. The fact that you are defending cyclists cycling dangerously simply because they are less likely to kill you than a car says all anyone needs to know about your opinion on this matter.
    Yes my opinion is that cyclists, pedestrians and public transport users should be prioritised over private car users, anyone with a forward thinking mindset would agree. To the same degree may I add that your defending of car users breaking red lights (as you've not admonished such behaviour) or your anti cyclist posts tell me everything I need to know!!

Can we all just agree that there is bad behaviour among all road users and move on.

There is no excuse or justification for breaking the law and endangering other commuters and all who do it are dicks regardless of the method of transport used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Good point about the parking revenue. It seems a bit contradictory to expect the body that profits from car traffic to solve the problem of car traffic. Maybe that's why there still is no solution?

This is the Crux of the problem. It is Galway City Councils biggest Independent revenue stream after rates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement