Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yet again ... stopping access, that's just another word for banning.

ie shafting the people who live in the city centre, to make it a nicer play-pen for those who don't.

Not at all, the exact opposite. Vast majority of City residents I know would like to have less through Car traffic passing by the front door every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not at all, the exact opposite. Vast majority of City residents I know would like to have less through Car traffic passing by the front door every day.

Ask them how they feel about the idea that a taxi-trip home from, say, Salthill at 2am involves travelling via the Quin bridge.

Because that's what you're proposing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Ask them how they feel about the idea that a taxi-trip home from, say, Salthill at 2am involves travelling via the Quin bridge.

Because that's what you're proposing
    I thought taxis would have the same privileges as buses

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Are you talking about “the front door pub”? If so as an FYI It’s pedestrianised.

Vast majority.., Very sweeping statement. I’d love to know the sample size / motives / circumstances etc.

If you are talking about “their” front door, once again they don’t own the area ourside their boundary / front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Are you talking about “the front door pub”? If so as an FYI It’s pedestrianised.

Ha? Cross Street? Since when?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ha? Cross Street? Since when?

Good point! I always think of it as one place but it’s sonnys that’s on high street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If you are talking about “their” front door, once again they don’t own the area ourside their boundary / front door.

Of course they do now OWN it - but neither do you or all the people driving from from the Suburbs and the Country either.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Something to think about.

https://vimeo.com/98429001

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

topcat77 wrote: »
    Something to think about.

https://vimeo.com/98429001

It was very well put together alright. So what did you see as the key takeaways that might be applicable to Galway?

McTigs wrote: »
    I thought taxis would have the same privileges as buses

Some people think this.

Others see them as just more CARS so to be penalised like any others.

Either way, the proposal trebles the journey distance even at times when it would not make life better for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

It was very well put together alright. So what did you see as the key takeaways that might be applicable to Galway?

Everything after 4 mins. I know it's about rural towns but i think it's just as relevant if not more for a city/town like Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They are public streets which we all fund with our taxes so I would massively object to any residents only rules. Anyone who pays motor tax should be entitled to drive on and park on a public street unhindered.
    Given that they are indeed public streets funded by everyone, why would we want to devote so much public space to storage of a particular class of private property (parked cars)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Given that they are indeed public streets funded by everyone, why would we want to devote so much public space to storage of a particular class of private property (parked cars)?

They're not funded by everyone. They're funded by the taxation of car owners.

God this thread is just eating itself now.

They're not funded by everyone. They're funded by the taxation of car owners.

How'd you work that out? Roads are funded by general taxation, and maybe if motorist came anywhere within an asses roar of covering the actual costs of the damage that motoring does to society, your point might have some traction. But they don't.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehicles-health-bills-lung-disease-a8384806.html

Roads are funded by everybody.

How'd you work that out? Roads are funded by general taxation, and maybe if motorist came anywhere within an asses roar of covering the actual costs of the damage that motoring does to society, your point might have some traction. But they don't.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/cars-air-pollution-cost-nhs-vans-vehicles-health-bills-lung-disease-a8384806.html

Roads are funded by everybody.

Without the taxation of private motorists, there would have been no funds to build roads.
    Billions of Euros over many decades have funded Ireland's road building.
    It might have gone into the "general taxation" pot, but car tax more than paid for the road infrastructure in this country.

Without the taxation of private motorists, there would have been no funds to build roads.
    Billions of Euros over many decades have funded Ireland's road building.
    It might have gone into the "general taxation" pot, but car tax more than paid for the road infrastructure in this country.

That's certainly not true in recent years with motor tax bringing in hundreds of millions and road building costing a billion or two. Do you have other figures to share?

And is there any news on when motorists will actually start paying for the damage done to society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Source?

Some motorists love to draw a link between motor tax and road infrastructure. A tax based around engine size or Co2 emissions... think about it.

Should priority access to the base of trees in public areas be given to those that paid a dog licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

That's certainly not true in recent years with motor tax bringing in hundreds of millions and road building costing a billion or two. Do you have other figures to share?

And is there any news on when motorists will actually start paying for the damage done to society?

Motor tax brings in about a billion, at least in 2015 it did.
    Link
    But this doesn't mean a billion is spent on the roads, sure 440 million of motor tax went towards Irish water
    Link

Road maintenance figures for 2015
    The Department’s own Strategic Framework for Investment in Land Transport report in 2015 shows at least €580 million per year is needed to keep the road network in its current state.
    Link

The societal and environmental impact of cars goes far beyond the wear and tear of the roads,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

At the risk of derailing this thread from it's current trajectory...

Hasn't the traffic got a lot better since the secondary schools finished? Some change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They are public streets which we all fund with our taxes so I would massively object to any residents only rules. Anyone who pays motor tax should be entitled to drive on and park on a public street unhindered.

I don't often agree with nox but I do agree with the objection to residents only rules for any publicly funded and maintained spaces. Everyone (not just motor tax payers) should have equal access to these spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hasn't the traffic got a lot better since the secondary schools finished? Some change :)

True. School buses . Or walk..longer term solutions in city schools?

papu wrote: »

The societal and environmental impact of cars goes far beyond the wear and tear of the roads,

What do you think the societical impact of no cars would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Um. Ask your parents/grandparents......

Seriously though Bumble, you're deep in this rhetoric of "All or Nothing". I don't think anyone is actually suggesting the removal of all cars, but some restrictions are badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Yep, although the evenings still seem to be the same.

The clear lesson though is that walking/cycling/busing kids to school has to be made more attractive and dropping by car less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Plenty of Galway drivers haven't a notion how to use roundabouts either.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Driving a car 1km costs society 89c
    Cycling 1km benefits society by 26c
    - Data from City of Copenhagen https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/jun/11/copenhagenize-case-urban-cycling-graphs

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

_Puma_ wrote: »

Astonishing that the people being held financially responsible for congestion are the company providing public transport.

So, I just googled in income generated from the motoring public.Sorry for lack of links.
    In 2016, vrt and vat from used and new cars was €1.4 billion( SIMI report).
    Motor tax yield in 2016 €1.051 billion. Oireachtas.ie report
    Excise, Carbon and VAT taxes in 2016 on diesel and petrol sales was €2.8 Billion. Revenue.ie report.

So, that's approx 5.25 billion tax take from motorists pockets.
    The total figure I can find for road expenditure by the Irish government in 2016 (and I'm open to correction) was 0.425 Billion.
    Road infrastructure might all come out of general taxation but private motorists more than pay their fair share.

• Advertisement

So, I just googled in income generated from the motoring public.Sorry for lack of links.
    In 2016, vrt and vat from used and new cars was €1.4 billion( SIMI report).
    Motor tax yield in 2016 €1.051 billion. Oireachtas.ie report
    Excise, Carbon and VAT taxes in 2016 on diesel and petrol sales was €2.8 Billion. Revenue.ie report.

So, that's approx 5.25 billion tax take from motorists pockets.
    The total figure I can find for road expenditure by the Irish government in 2016 (and I'm open to correction) was 0.425 Billion.
    Road infrastructure might all come out of general taxation but private motorists more than pay their fair share.

Don't forget to deduct the €10k cost of emissions reported above x 2.5m cars off your figure above. So that's about €25 billion you need to find to cover your costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement