Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

You left out window washer fluid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Don't forget to deduct the €10k cost of emissions reported above x 2.5m cars off your figure above. So that's about €25 billion you need to find to cover your costs.

You used London as an example. A city of 8 million people. Compared to Ireland a country of 4.5 million. The condensing of population would have increased the effect of the pollutants. Can you find some figures for a city of comparable size to lets say.... Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Driving a car 1km costs society 89c
    Cycling 1km benefits society by 26c
    - Data from City of Copenhagen https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2018/jun/11/copenhagenize-case-urban-cycling-graphs

Those are nice numbers - is there one for walking, too? Does the one for cycling take account of the rising use of electric bicycles??

But really, nominal cash-costs aren't what I asked about.

If there were no cars:, then there would be old / sick / disabled people who couldn't go anywhere: not everyone can manage to cycle or catch shared-transport. Families with small children would find it a lot harder to go anywhere - supervising three under fives on public transport is not for the faint-hearted, and taking them on a bicycle - not gonna happen.

I'm all for improving shared-transport options, and for challenging people to think about alternatives. But individuated options are needed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Families with small children would find it a lot harder to go anywhere - supervising three under fives on public transport is not for the faint-hearted, and taking them on a bicycle - not gonna happen.

Excuse me?

5ac0580be4078cd49ee27963e75d9012.jpg

Excuse me?

I'll take my nice comfortable car everytime thanks very much. Cycling is bad enough that looks like torture.

• Advertisement

Excuse me?

Nice pic. Glad to see they're using helmets and the driver has light coloured clothing.

But do you know anyone who uses one of 'em in real life, for real home-to-school or home-to-recreation journeys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Nice pic. Glad to see they're using helmets and the driver has light coloured clothing.

But do you know anyone who uses one of 'em in real life, for real home-to-school or home-to-recreation journeys?

I do. Use a tag along bike to take my kid to school and to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I did too. Home - school, after school - Home & various recreational runs. I see a good few of them on my commute, cargo bikes, tag alongs, carriers & trailers.

In real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

me too, my kids have never been driven to school or creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Even royalty does it - Princess Mary DK

r9HqNKS.jpg?1oP2pAE6.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I dare not ask your feelings about dark coloured cars

zell12 wrote: »
    Even royalty does it - Princess Mary DK

r9HqNKS.jpg?1oP2pAE6.jpg?1
    "No helmets! The horror! someone think of the children!!!" said no person who actually cycles a bike ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

jjpep wrote:
    I do. Use a tag along bike to take my kid to school and to other places.

I see this sometimes and wonder about safety especially in dark evenings etc.

I presume it has rear light?

Do you find cars keep a safe distance? Did you ever have a scary moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

bobbyss wrote: »
    I see this sometimes and wonder about safety especially in dark evenings etc.

I presume it has rear light?

Do you find cars keep a safe distance? Did you ever have a scary moment?

Yep, two lights. One static and one flashing. Generally cars keep a good distance but particularly when I have the kid with I cycle in a 'assertive' way. Taking the lane where necessary etc. I did an advanced motorbike license donkeys years ago in the UK and the principles are very much the same.

One real scare only. A taxi driver who fallen asleep at the wheel veered towards us from the opposite lane but he stopped in time. Got a bit of a fright although weirdly enough the driver seemed to have a worse one than me.

Car drivers do tend to be more respectful and more law abiding when your towing a kid trailer. They’ll give you the appropriate amount of room and wont play the silly games some think are ok to play.

There’s a bit of tut tutting from the ill informed motorists that feel its irresponsible to cycle with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

John_Rambo wrote:
    Car drivers do tend to be more respectful and more law abiding when your towing a kid trailer. They’ll give you the appropriate amount of room and wont play the silly games some think are ok to play.

John_Rambo wrote:
    There’s a bit of tut tutting from the ill informed motorists that feel its irresponsible to cycle with children.

Why would motorists think it irresponsible?

It is irresponsible, I wouldn't even bring kids around in a small car never mind on a bike, massively increasing their risk of getting hurt or killed. It's madness.

It is irresponsible, I wouldn't even bring kids around in a small car never mind on a bike, massively increasing their risk of getting hurt or killed. It's madness.
    You'd prefer to massively increase their risk of cancer, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, stroke, heart disease and many other conditions that are far, far more common than car or bike injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I've never heard of any child in a cargo bike or trailer being injured, let alone killed. Can you say that about children in cars?

If you want to scaremonger you really should be directing it at motor vehicles, by far the most dangerous thing for children in Ireland.

In fact, road deaths are the number one cause of child mortality in Ireland, accounting for a massive 37% of ALL childhood deaths. goo.gl/1ZKnye

So maybe you can find something else to drive your agenda.

coming from a man who thinks its perfectly ok for a 10 year old kid to drive a tractor around the fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have to agree. Accidents do happen. We have airbags, seatbelts etc to minimise risk. A car hitting a child trailer is likely to have serious consequences. I rarely see a child trailer in Galway but when I do the child is at the level of exhaust pipes & is relying on a flag to keep it safe.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why would motorists think it irresponsible?

I said “I’ll informed” motorists!

Some I’ll informed motorists believe they’re dangerous and that kids are killed in them all the time. They think they’d make better, more responsible parents by driving their kids everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I said “I’ll informed” motorists!

Some I’ll informed motorists believe they’re dangerous and that kids are killed in them all the time. They think they’d make better, more responsible parents by driving their kids everywhere.

How many child trailers are in daily use in Ireland ? The European figure would bound to be low as there are totally set up to ensure that bikes & cars don't mix.

There is nothing ill informed about seeing a child in a trailer or on a rear seat & realising how vulnerable it is.

Discodog wrote: »
    How many child trailers are in daily use in Ireland ? The European figure would bound to be low as there are totally set up to ensure that bikes & cars don't mix.

There is nothing ill informed about seeing a child in a trailer or on a rear seat & realising how vulnerable it is.

I don’t have those stats, but if you’re that concerned go and find them.

I do have experience using them however and foin them very safe.

Regarding bikes and cars not mixing... the less cars the less accidents! One of the many reasons cities are pushing cars out. This threat is about Galways cities traffic bein mental. Car traffic, not bikes or bikes with trailers, or pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I have to agree. Accidents do happen. We have airbags, seatbelts etc to minimise risk. A car hitting a child trailer is likely to have serious consequences. I rarely see a child trailer in Galway but when I do the child is at the level of exhaust pipes & is relying on a flag to keep it safe.

YOU have to agree, based entirely on your personal perception, one that is utterly unfounded in evidence or fact and is in truth the opposite of the real story. To be statistically accurate, if you're afraid of kids on bikes you should be absolutely sh¡tting yourself about kids in cars.

Look up the term dangerisation of cycling to see for yourself how deliberate and pernicious the push for this perception is from certain vested interests.

Most research shows that motorists and car passengers take in more fumes and impurities than cyclists.

And let's stop calling them accidents - collisions or crashes - see crashnotaccident.com

McTigs wrote: »
    coming from a man who thinks its perfectly ok for a 10 year old kid to drive a tractor around the fields.

It's perfectly safe once done under supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

McTigs wrote: »

A classic in the nox catalogue of nonsense.

And what is your reason for thinking it's "madness" to transport kids on bikes? Is it because of irresponsible drivers (not saying all of course, but enough)?

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »

Regarding bikes and cars not mixing... the less cars the less accidents!

Do you have any research to support the claim that fewer cars equals fewer accidents? (Fewer being the correct word for discrete units ...)

Is that per journey or per km travelled?

Or is it just fewer accidents which lead to death?

Dies it include near misss?

How is the data collected?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement