Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where( roughly) you're traveling from might give some context to the times given.
    Is it much faster /slower than by car/ bicycle?

Live in the centre. Work in Parkmore.

I wouldn't be able for cycling, and neither do I have anywhere to store a bicycle.

A car might be quicker - but I'd be paying thru the nose for parking and insurance. So not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Parkmore to Eyre Square is about 7km give or take.

Soul destroying going at that speed for an hour or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

An outer ring road and new bridge will solve a lot of the problem.

It would. However that's 10 years away. Imagine the city by the time it comes around.

The council should act quick and get more people onto buses. Also expand the routes to commuter towns.

There's plenty of things they could do to get more people out of cars short term.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It would. However that's 10 years away. Imagine the city by the time it comes around.

The council should act quick and get more people onto buses. Also expand the routes to commuter towns.

There's plenty of things they could do to get more people out of cars short term.

Bus Eireann have stated that they could increase frequency quite quickly and work with the NTA to provide more routes but won't even look at it until there are more bus lanes as the service would be poor otherwise

Which, to be honest, is a perfectly reasonable stance to take

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think decreasing the number of single person car occupancy might go some way to alleviate this as well. Next commute you take, just note how many cars around you have more than one person in them.
    Car pooling incentives, like use of the bus lanes I mentioned earlier would go some way to reducing commuting times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

It's so easy to come on and whinge about Galway's traffic issues. Why don't you do something to contribute to help solve the problem?
    I did 16years ago. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I actually got stuck in Galway city traffic.
    My commute is 14kms round trip. It takes me 20minutes door to door each way.
    A couple of colleagues have done the same. Parked their cars in free spots apprx 3-4km outside the city,and cycled in to work. Where there's a will, there's a way.

flazio wrote: »
    Car pooling incentives, like use of the bus lanes I mentioned earlier would go some way to reducing commuting times.

A bus is really like a big car pool - with the schedule, petrol cost and insurance issues worked out.

Letting ultra small buses (ie car pooling cars) use bus lanes reduced their effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Signage over the road, rather than signage painted onto the road is what's needed.
    Clear, visable and with enough distance from the roundabout, so drivers can adjust if needed.

If our greedy councillors allowed a proper shopping centre to be built on the outskirts of the city it would reduce a lot a traffic but since they own shopsn pubs and only have eyes for there only wallets they won’t let it happen

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. I lived in Drogheda a few years back, and they have two large shopping areas on the outskirts of the town. The city center has died because of it with loads of boarded up stores and derelict shop fronts.
    You need a thriving city center to make a city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Roundabout at Cemetery Cross is especially bad if travelling out the Tuam Road. People (particularly taxi drivers) in the right-hand lane and travelling straight on is a regular occurrence. I've seen many close calls there and have had 1 or 2 myself. Then you have the people sitting in yellow boxes...

Seems loads of people still go first 2 exits left lane, last 2 exits right lane and get flustered with more than 4 exits.

I find the one at the tirellan is the worst in the city. Every morning I’m in the right had lane taking the 3rd exit and every single day without fail, there’s car after in the left hand lane taking the same exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

A bus is really like a big car pool - with the schedule, petrol cost and insurance issues worked out.

I think you're confusing what you think people should do with what people will do. A car you already have/need that you can hop into anytime instead of waiting for an unreliable bus that takes too long will be on the road despite the traffic because it's still better than the alternative. Allowing carpooling during rush hours is common practice in other countries and something people might do to make a difference.
    Letting ultra small buses (ie car pooling cars) use bus lanes reduced their effectiveness.

Can you back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Talking about busses. Yesterday I was on the doughiska Road shortly after 4. 2 busses one after another passed me heading towards parkmore. A minute later 2 busses one after each other passed going towards town. 4 of the 5 busses on the route were all within 200 meters of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I think you're confusing what you think people should do with what people will do. A car you already have/need that you can hop into anytime instead of waiting for an unreliable bus that takes too long will be on the road despite the traffic because it's still better than the alternative. Allowing carpooling during rush hours is common practice in other countries and something people might do to make a difference.

You might have a point if there was more bus lanes but there's almost none so lets not clog up the few we have.
    Can you back that up?

Ya. Look at the parts of the road that aren't bus lanes.

addressing unreliability with buses by clogging up the bus lanes..... that's just plain idiotic

Countries that give preference to car poolers have multi lane highways with dedicated car pool lanes, at least the ones I'm aware of

Do you understand that the buses are unreliable because there are not enough bus lanes and bus priority measures?

You don't convince people to adopt an alternative by making it worse, you convince them by making it the smarter option

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both? The reason I'm pumping up carpooling is because, all we need is already here. We can't fill empty bus seats as there are no empty buses just yet, they need to be bought in and the infrastructure set up etc. We can however fill the empty car seats because they are already on the road right now. I'm suggesting carpooling be a quick fix until the bus infrastructure improves, not as something to replace the need for more buses.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why not both? The reason I'm pumping up carpooling is because, all we need is already here. We can't fill empty bus seats as there are no empty buses just yet, they need to be bought in and the infrastructure set up etc. We can however fill the empty car seats because they are already on the road right now. I'm suggesting carpooling be a quick fix until the bus infrastructure improves, not as something to replace the need for more buses.

So in the meantime, instead of improving the bus service, you want to make it worse???

Also, once you open that gate, it's very difficult to close it again. No, the bus lanes are literally the deciding factor that motivates some folk to change to use the bus.

Again, you don't get people to opt for something by deliberately degrading the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

An outer ring road and new bridge will solve a lot of the problem.

Yes but when, if ever?

Will the bog cotton and limestone pavement still be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder what, if any, plans have been designed by City Council & Bus Eireann for 2 weekends time with 35,000 people arriving for both gigs on the Saturday & Sunday.

Traffic will certainly be mayhem those 2 days. It's already a bad traffic route as it is, let alone with the very large extra flow of people.

Surely BE will put on extra buses to help with the flow of people and take cars off the road.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I wonder what, if any, plans have been designed by City Council & Bus Eireann for 2 weekends time with 35,000 people arriving for both gigs on the Saturday & Sunday.

Traffic will certainly be mayhem those 2 days. It's already a bad traffic route as it is, let alone with the very large extra flow of people.

Surely BE will put on extra buses to help with the flow of people and take cars off the road.

Event organisers will have had to specify traffic management plans to get the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

FitzShane wrote: »

Will it jsut be like Connacht Final Day in Pearse Stadium?

• Advertisement

Worse, I think. Matches you're just filling the stands, concerts you're filling the pitch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Worse, I think. Matches you're just filling the stands, concerts you're filling the pitch as well.

They should sell pierse statium to Connaught rugby if they take it and bring Galway football back home to Tuam after developing Tuam stadium.
    They should bring the hurlers to Athenry where they spent millions on land with that intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Will it jsut be like Connacht Final Day in Pearse Stadium?
    More people possibly but crowd will be very different. Should be lot less cars and people staying in town and bussing/walking out to Salthill
    Capacity for concert is 35000 i think so bit worse capacity wise
    They should sell pierse statium to Connaught rugby if they take it and bring Galway football back home to Tuam after developing Tuam stadium.
    They should bring the hurlers to Athenry where they spent millions on land with that intention.
    Connacht cant afford Pearse Stadium and anyway Pearse Stadium is far too big for Connachts needs.
    Galway GAA would be mad to move out of city entirely as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

More people possibly but crowd will be very different. Should be lot less cars and people staying in town and bussing/walking out to Salthill

Capacity for concert is 35000 i think so bit worse capacity wise

Connacht cant afford Pearse Stadium and anyway Pearse Stadium is far too big for Connachts needs.
    Galway GAA would be mad to move out of city entirely as well

Galway gaa were stone mad to go anywhere near the city in the first place.traffic is mental that side of town with only a few ways to get there and nowhere to park a car.nowhere even decent near the stadium for a few pints unless you go back to salthill.tuam stadium was 5 minutes from decent pubs and it’s the traditional town of Galway football with a lot of football heritage.
    Pierse stadium is a wind tunnel on a flat calm day inland with a sea wind belting the place constantly.yeah it’s a nice pitch and stadium but it’s in the wrong location.getting there and getting out is a nightmare on match day and no place to park

Talking about busses. Yesterday I was on the doughiska Road shortly after 4. 2 busses one after another passed me heading towards parkmore. A minute later 2 busses one after each other passed going towards town. 4 of the 5 busses on the route were all within 200 meters of each other.

It's not uncommon to see 4 or 5 409 buses working as a convoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

A few questions for you
    i) Where would Connaught rugby get the money to buy Pearse stadium ?
    ii) Would Connaught rugby want to move to a stadium that isn't within walking distance of Eyre sq
    iii) Where would Galway GAA an organisation that is already struggling with debt get the money to develop Tuam stadium and Athenry ?
    iv) Do you think its wise for Galway GAA to have two separate venues for hosting intercounty matches ? ie invest in two white elephants intead of coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

They should sell the two stadiums pierse and collage road and built a new ground between claregalway and oranmore because most of the traffic is coming from that side even Galway airport would be a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Galway gaa were stone mad to go anywhere near the city in the first place.traffic is mental that side of town with only a few ways to get there and nowhere to park a car.nowhere even decent near the stadium for a few pints unless you go back to salthill.tuam stadium was 5 minutes from decent pubs and it’s the traditional town of Galway football with a lot of football heritage.
    Pierse stadium is a wind tunnel on a flat calm day inland with a sea wind belting the place constantly.yeah it’s a nice pitch and stadium but it’s in the wrong location.getting there and getting out is a nightmare on match day and no place to park
    They werent really. It would be very crazy to simply avoid the city. The location within the city is poor but not having games in city is crazy.
    Traffic situation could be helped by less people using cars to get to game. But thats very irish thing...
    thebackbar wrote: »
    A few questions for you
    i) Where would Connaught rugby get the money to buy Pearse stadium?
    ii) Would Connaught rugby want to move to a stadium that isn't within walking distance of Eyre sq
    iii) Where would Galway GAA an organisation that is already struggling with debt get the money to develop Tuam stadium and Athenry?
    iv) Do you think its wise for Galway GAA to have two separate venues for hosting intercounty matches? ie invest in two white elephants intead of coaching.
    This is all very hypothetical and while Connacht need a new ground they wont be going anywhere near Pearse Stadium. They will redevelop the Sportsground if they can ever get IRFU to support them and deal with IGB/Galway Agricultural and Sports Socirty.
    And its not wise at all for GAA in Galway to have separate venues for hosting intercounty games
    m17 wrote: »
    They should sell the two stadiums pierse and collage road and built a new ground between claregalway and oranmore because most of the traffic is coming from that side even Galway airport would be a good move
    No they shouldnt. Connacht would be bonkers for moving out of the city centre. Being a short stroll from Eyre Square is fantastic and losing that would be horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Trying to get back on track here, but it seems one group of people believe that we can keep growing this city by building more roads and adding more cars, whilst another group believe that adding more cars isn't the way to go

• Advertisement

m17 wrote: »
    They should ... do something which would require everyone to travel bu car ....

What an apt user-name!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement