Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Rural roads simply aren't suitable for cyclists, either the roads need to be improved or Cyclists should stay off them for their own sake.
    20-01%2B%257E%2BSmiley%2B%257E%2BMusic%2B%257E%2BWhistling%2BA%2BTune.gif

Rural roads simply aren't suitable for cyclists, either the roads need to be improved or Cyclists should stay off them for their own sake.

They are a road, same as any other. The road type has little to do with the cyclist. The main issue is not driving with due care and attention i.e. Going around a blind corner at 80kmh

If drivers on rural roads did one thing only, those roads would be safe for everyone.

That one thing? Drive at a speed where your stopping distance is less than the amount of road you can see in front of you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They're not suitable for cars in fact. An awful lot r roads around the country predate the mass use of motor vehicles and would be perfectly suitable for farm animals, farm machinery and bikes.

Then cars came along and took over

• Registered Users Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The rural roads are perfect for cyclists. Cyclists don't kill themselves or other people on rural roads.

The problems arise when the motorists arrive.

Don't forget to get back about the questions above when you have a minute please.

Don't forget to get back about the questions above when you have a minute please.

Yes there are dangerous things done by drivers and plenty of bad drivers I'm hardly going to deny that, of couse things like speeding are totally over exaggerated by the media etc but that's a story for a different thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think I will start a Galway traffic thread where no mentions of cycling is allowed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

biko wrote: »
    I think I will start a Galway traffic thread where no mentions of cycling is allowed...
    Because cycling isn’t real traffic?

No, its just in the way of real traffic

No, its just in the way of real traffic
    Pedestrian traffic?

"Get out of my way peasants!" is what I say to pedestrians

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So you want to have a thread about solving Galway's traffic problems where one of solutions is not allowed to be mentioned? Seems pointless.

Now if you said a thread where pointless anti cycling posts weren't allowed than I think that would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Most were built for bikes and beasts! The cars are the interloper and drivers need to ease off and expect the expected, other road users!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Weepsie wrote: »
    They're not suitable for cars in fact. An awful lot r roads around the country predate the mass use of motor vehicles and would be perfectly suitable for farm animals, farm machinery and bikes.

Then cars came along and took over

I love the way that walkers - the ones using the original, healthiest, most pollution free, low impact, safest mode of transport - don't even get a mention! Nor buses neither.

Everything has to be about selfish meee-first modes ....

This individualism is arguably the underlying cause of the city's psychosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I love the way that walkers - the ones using the original, healthiest, most pollution free, low impact, safest mode of transport - don't even get a mention! Nor buses neither.

Everything has to be about selfish meee-first modes ....

This individualism is arguably the underlying cause of the city's psychosis.

Did you not read my post about pedestrian deaths and the dangers in Galway??

Everything is designed around the most selfish transport mode, that those using it are moaning and appropriated the word 'traffic'
    Galway is eminently cycleable
    hierarchy.jpgCXlWAhn.jpg?1

Wow, what a politico infested cesspit. This whole thing needs to be moved to C&T.

Yes there are dangerous things done by drivers and plenty of bad drivers I'm hardly going to deny that
    Good to know - but despite the presence of these bad and dangerous drivers, are you still victim-blaming pedestrians killed on the road?

Any suggestions for what Rose did wrong to deserve getting killed?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/reverse-lights-broken-on-truck-which-killed-ranelagh-pedestrian-1.2567865
    Or what this lady who was killed while accompanying her cycling child was doing wrong?

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-killed-crash-tipperary-4065951-Jun2018/

Or what this man was doing wrong when killed on the N4 last night by a hit-and-run driver?

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-dies-hit-and-run-longford-4074302-Jun2018/

of couse things like speeding are totally over exaggerated by the media etc but that's a story for a different thread.

So do you reckon when independent consultants commissioned by the RSA identify 82% of drivers as breaking the speed limits, is that part of the media exaggeration?

And when the RSA's analysis of road deaths shows that speed is one of the top factors involved, is that part of the media exaggeration?
    Ah that's a bit harsh, some people made their feelings about pedestrians very clear.

But is this an attempt to distract? Cyclists and pedestrians tend to have common ground in these discussions. Reducing car numbers and slowing cars down is generally good for cyclists and pedestrians.

Wow, what a politico infested cesspit. This whole thing needs to be moved to C&T.

That's been done in the past and it's extremely frustrating. A tiny portion of locals are on that board so Galway threads don't get discussed. In fact, unless it's about Dublin, most threads on that board die within a few posts

Given the volume of posts on this thread and the general good behaviour of most people on this thread just goes to show that it's something that many want to post about. I think it's safe to say its the most posted-about topic on this board in years

Biko and others have shown exceptional restraint in not moving or locking this discussion and I am honestly grateful for that.

It's a topic that needs to be discussed here, just look at the impact this issue has on the daily lives of the inhabitants of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ah that's a bit harsh, some people made their feelings about pedestrians very clear.

But is this an attempt to distract? Cyclists and pedestrians tend to have common ground in these discussions. Reducing car numbers and slowing cars down is generally good for cyclists and pedestrians.

Re the first point, perhaps your sarcasm detector need tweaking?

Re the second: cyclists try to say that they have common ground with pedestrians, in a bid to increase their (the cyclists) influence. Whereas pedestrians tend to prefer having separated ground from all vehicles, thank you very much: There are some places where I now routinely look left and right before stepping out of a bus, ffs. It's cycles I'm checking for, not cars.

zell12 wrote: »
    Everything is designed around the most selfish transport mode, that those using it are moaning and appropriated the word 'traffic'
    Galway is eminently cycleable
    hierarchy.jpgCXlWAhn.jpg?1

Galway is also eminently manageable using a combination of walking and shared transport. Many people could manage without regular use of an individual family vehicle.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Lol. You realise you're in the City forum and not the County one ya?

There are plenty of city roads like ones Nox is speaking of: Menlo, Rosshill, parts of the top of Knocknacarra.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Cycling is a very realistic proposition for many if not most urban dwellers. Galway is a very small city and, barring the weather, is quite suitable for cycling as a means to get around. Better to cycle than sit in traffic jams stuffing jam doughnuts and Big Macs into your gob and going online giving out about cycling. Look at how well the Dublin bikes and Cork bikes schemes are doing.

I'm a 50-somehing who's had some surgery (cycling wasn't allowed for three months after that), and is waiting form more (and cycling before I get the knee injury fixed would not be a good idea indeed). I also live in an inner-city upper-story apartment with no ground-level storage - even if I physically could cycle, I have nowhere safe to story a vehicle which is vulnerable to drunken vandalism.

That's my story - there are plenty of other reasons why cycling isn't suitable for other people either. (And yes, I did notice that the people who use tag-along bikes / trailers etc for their kids didn't actually say how many kids they have - I bet none of them had three under fives at once.)

Cycling has a place as a mode of transport for some. It suits people who want to travel on their own pony, not a shared one, and who also want a means of bypassing queues of traffic rather than waiting their turn. It takes a certain level of bravery to do given our current infrastructure.

But to make a real change to the commuting vehicle mix, public (ie shared-vehicle) transport and demand reduction (school buses, walkable job locations, local hiring incentives) is where we need to look. Cycling just adds more individual vehicles to the mix. Sure each one uses less road space than a car - but it's still a vehicle which needs dedicated road space and parking. And as more bicycles get engines, the energy-use benefit is going to decline.

Bumble, cycling suits some people, walking suits others and public transport others still.

As has been put forth by several people, a multi pronged approach is needed to cater for Galway's growth over the next few decades.

Cars will be part of that but its necessary that the volume of cars has to be reduced. They are simply the least efficient way of getting from a to b if everyone is using that method of transport.

It's a simple matter of trying to move more people through a finite amount of space. If you are proposing that we keep going and change nothing then the city will grind to a halt.

• Advertisement

So do you reckon when independent consultants commissioned by the RSA identify 82% of drivers as breaking the speed limits, is that part of the media exaggeration?

I didn’t say limits aren’t broken, I said the “dangers” are over exaggerated. I have no heed in speed limits whatsoever, break them every single time I sit in the car. Most are too low, some are too high I decide what’s appropriate.
    And when the RSA's analysis of road deaths shows that speed is one of the top factors involved, is that part of the media exaggeration?

Inappropriate speed is the term not speeding. However I also believe this is highly exaggerated to fit the agenda that speed is to blame for everything.

I didn’t say limits aren’t broken, I said the “dangers” are over exaggerated. I have no heed in speed limits whatsoever, break them every single time I sit in the car. Most are too low, some are too high I decide what’s appropriate.

Yeah, you just lost any argument you were trying to make

Inappropriate speed is the term not speeding. However I also believe this is highly exaggerated to fit the agenda that speed is to blame for everything.

Belief and feelings don't stack up against actual data and evidence of which there is an abundance

Eh no, you didn't say that the dangers are over-exaggerated, you said that " things like speeding are totally over exaggerated by the media".

And just to be clear, while breaking the speed limit on every journey, you are simultaneously lecturing cyclists for breaking traffic laws AND victim-blaming pedestrians for being killed as a result of their breaking the law? Have I correctly understood your position?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But as a pedestrian, I continue to feel more at risk from bicycles than from cars. Driver behaviour in the latter is just far more predictable.
    How do you spend so many hours in every traffic and transport thread on Boards and still be so completely ignorant of basic statistics and reality like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thargor wrote: »
    How do you spend so many hours in every traffic and transport thread on Boards and still be so completely ignorant of basic statistics and reality like that?

Why do those who support cycling, public transport etc think they gain support, for their cause, by insulting people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Discodog wrote: »
    Why do those who support cycling, public transport etc think they gain support, for their cause, by insulting people ?
    I honestly couldn't give a flying fup about the likes of Nox's and Bumbles deluded cyclist ramblings its just some statements are just so utterly stupid they're going to get commented on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

But as a pedestrian, I continue to feel more at risk from bicycles than from cars. Driver behaviour in the latter is just far more predictable.

An irrational fear and ridiculous statement.

Buses were mentioned earlier in the thread. Walking is not practical.
    There are some places where I now routinely look left and right before stepping out of a bus, ffs. It's cycles I'm checking for, not cars.

This is very normal, you should always be watching for other traffic. You are disembarking onto a cycle lane or right onto a footpath?
    Cycling has a place as a mode of transport for some. It suits people who want to travel on their own pony, not a shared one, and who also want a means of bypassing queues of traffic rather than waiting their turn. It takes a certain level of bravery to do given our current infrastructure.

But to make a real change to the commuting vehicle mix, public (ie shared-vehicle) transport and demand reduction (school buses, walkable job locations, local hiring incentives) is where we need to look. Cycling just adds more individual vehicles to the mix. Sure each one uses less road space than a car - but it's still a vehicle which needs dedicated road space and parking. And as more bicycles get engines, the energy-use benefit is going to decline.

Why are you so anti cycling? Are you envious of people getting ahead in traffic? What is it that motorists detest so much about cyclists not "waiting their turn". What sort of a statement is that? There's no logic what so ever. Dedicated road space? A whopping 2 meters, which will service far more cyclists than cars (giving the needed width for cars). Dedicated parking? Is this some sort of a joke? What planet are you living on that dedicated cycling parking is an issue? It's not, the amount of bikes you can park in 1 car space is a lot, there's simply no comparison. And what bicycles are getting engines? What exactly are you talking about? You're completely off the ball, you just haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

See it has now become common for buses to go straight across from left turn lane at the Briarhill junction when coming from Parkmore and heading towards town - 403 doing it this morning and seen it last week too. Also now becoming more common for vehicles to queue jump by pushing across from the left turn lanes when traffic is backed up coming out of Parkmore.

Really not sure there is a need for the two left turn lanes at that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

There are plenty of city roads like ones Nox is speaking of: Menlo, Rosshill, parts of the top of Knocknacarra.

Speed limits in those areas?

• Advertisement

What follows is an editorial piece in the Leinster Leader. It's well written with more than a few good points but honestly, I disagree with the overall premise. Unless you bring a community along with you in the development of greenways, future greenways face a struggle in getting developed
    In Bike Week 2018, it’s time to stop being polite about cycling

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/318200/kildare-opinion-in-bike-week-2018-its-time-to-stop-being-polite-about-cycling.html

On the occasion of Bike Week 2018, we need to finally stop being polite about it.

We need to stop trying to convince people of anything or doing any promotional campaigns, nice gestures, high viz safety training, awareness programs, head counts or presentations to schools.

It’s simple — we need to plough on and build proper cycling lanes.

We’re still mired in the inherent contradiction of trying to accommodate cyclists beside drivers while trying to make things safer for them.

It’s not working. Every morning and evening we have plenty of time, sitting in traffic jams, to see the results of the inaction and apathy.

The average urban street can process 2,000 cars per hour or 14,000 bikes. That’s because cars are the least effective form of transport and bikes are the most effective.

But that simple comparison also shows that a small amount of proper cycling infrastructure can make a huge difference.

People don’t need to be educated or cajoled into cycling. They already want this, really really want it.

They hate being stuck in traffic, hate spending half an hour in the car to drive a kid less than two km to school when the kid could dawdle the whole way on a bike and still get there in 10 minutes.

They hate that they are afraid to let the kids out on their bikes. They hate driving around looking for parking, spending a small fortune on the ticket, looking for change for parking and then having to walk 15 minutes to a shop they only want to spend five minutes in.

Appropriate cycling infrastructure eliminates numerous instances of annoyance from our lives.

The Danes say you need to make cycling ridiculously safe with totally separated cycling infrastructure, while simultaneously making driving ridiculously inconvenient.

The Dutch are even more radical. In the 1970s they realised what we’re slowly learning — that accommodating a greater numbers of cars is officially a lost cause.

So they put down cycling lanes and cut off streets to cars, literally overnight. As a nation they are not noted for bad investments, and now, 40 years later, they consistently spend billions on cycling facilities.

The Great Western Greenway (from Westport to Achill) is a tremendous tourism attraction, but to the surprise of those who built it, peak usage is when children are going to and from school.

That shows that safe cycling and accessible infrastructure, which takes the shortest route from one relevant place to another will be used, even if that’s not the intended usage.

You’ll hear the naysayers referencing the lack of use of the cycling lanes in Naas’s Millenium Park as ‘proof’ that cycling lanes don’t work.

But they only go from the start of Millenium Park to the end of it, two places nobody ever needs to go to.

Naas Neighbourhood Greenway’s idea of linking all schools and housing estates in Naas, Sallins, Kill and Johnstown is the right idea. It connects people to where they actually need to go.

We also need to decouple the notion of putting cycling lanes alongside existing main streets. We don’t have wide streets, so we can’t simply put down paint and move cars out a bit. A little imagination is required.

For instance in Amsterdam, they have a cycling highway going through an old and unused shopping centre.

Since independence, Kildare’s population has doubled roughly every 25 years, so by 2050, we will have a population of nearly half a million. It’s time to get our transport systems sorted now.

Otherwise we face the prospect of 150,000 mammies losing hours of their lives, and the will to live, dropping their kids off every morning.

In any given situation, people will always want to take the easy way.

Appealing to their sense of public duty or telling them it’s the best thing they can do for their longterm health is true, but unnecessary and in vain.

If we just make cycling the easier option, they will go for it.

We just need to grow a thick skin, ignore the nimbys and naysayers and build lots and lots of cycling lanes, and they will come.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement