Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lads the motors board is that way >>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

xckjoo wrote: »
    See my comment about comparing driving in a car park to driving on the road and the perception of speed based on motion around you. I don't trust your ability to judge actions so don't really have anywhere else to go with this conversation.

And presumably you noted my comments about how you can use the speedo to safely monitor your speed and counter the perceptions arising from the other drivers around you. Enough with the excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

And presumably you noted my comments about how you can use the speedo to safely monitor your speed and counter the perceptions arising from the other drivers around you. Enough with the excuses.

I do. I stated it multiple times already in this thread. But I'm self-aware enough to know that it's very easy to exceed the limit on this road and admit to having done so before. Maybe someday we'll all be as perfect as you, but until that time I'll try and struggle on. One day at a time...

You actually said that it is hard to drive under 50. I still don't get what is hard.

Its bloody boring and frustrating that's whats hard about it. I have never once kept the limit for the full length of BnT as its simply an idiotic speed limit and I refuse to respect it, just slow at the corner to check for fish shooting and off again once its clear.

I do. I stated it multiple times already in this thread. But I'm self-aware enough to know that it's very easy to exceed the limit on this road and admit to having done so before. Maybe someday we'll all be as perfect as you, but until that time I'll try and struggle on. One day at a time...
    I'm pretty sure I exceeded the speed limit today once or twice, because in the current enforcement environment, it's not a top priority for me. But it wouldn't really be that hard for me to stick rigidly to the limit if I set my mind to it.
    Its bloody boring and frustrating that's whats hard about it. I have never once kept the limit for the full length of BnT as its simply an idiotic speed limit and I refuse to respect it, just slow at the corner to check for fish shooting and off again once its clear.

Which brings me back to my earlier comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Any moderators on this thread..??
    Can't read much more of this petty bitching..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

So you argue with me that the speed limit is fine but you yourself think it's too slow. Are you just arguing for the sake of it?

The speed limits were set when we changed from mph to kmph. An equivalent kmph was established for each of the standard mph speeds. While a large chunk of our road rules are similar to the UK ones, we're not the same country and don't follow everything they do. There doesn't seem to be an appetite for introducing new limits so we have what we have. You'll have to ask those teams of "traffic controllers and urbanist" why they've calculated these speeds as optimum (or just realise it was all done by committee and a set of basic rules).
    No, I just said 40 mph (or 60 kmh in our case) would be a reasonable compromise between safety and speed :) 50 is still fine...but 60 would harm. 80 is insane.

Sorry for OTT - but I had to. My last OTT.

Just to put the last 2 pages of nonsense into context...

The section of BnT being talked about is between the Tuam Rd and the Kirwan RAB.

It's a distance of 2km according to Google maps. I've no doubt that figure is rounded but its the info I have, so I'll work with it.

2km @ 50kmph = 2:24
    2km @ 60kmph = 2:00
    2km @ 80kmph = 1:30

You are talking about gaining 54 seconds on a stretch of road where, at either end, you are usually forced to wait a min or two (best case) anyway due to the lights on one end and the RAB on the other.

54 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Traffic was brutal last night again on BnT and Tuam Rd - was there any accident or just the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Traffic was brutal last night again on BnT and Tuam Rd - was there any accident or just the weather?
    It was traffic jams everywhere from ~1430 onwards. Not clear what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

zell12 wrote: »
    It was traffic jams everywhere from ~1430 onwards. Not clear what happened.

It rained!

Nice warm up/reminder for the start of the school term again in two weeks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not as if anyone will actually do anything to ease / combat the traffic when it returns.

Still have to laugh at BE's attempts to run a better schedule - they moved the timetable by 5 minutes :pac::D:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Happens every year at this time. They're out buying school books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Happens every year at this time. They're out buying school books.

Next week will be even crazier with the influx of 1st year students looking for accommodation once the CAO offers are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The section of BnT being talked about is between the Tuam Rd and the Kirwan RAB.

It's a distance of 2km according to Google maps. I've no doubt that figure is rounded but its the info I have, so I'll work with it.

You are talking about gaining 54 seconds on a stretch of road where, at either end, you are usually forced to wait a min or two (best case) anyway due to the lights on one end and the RAB on the other.

54 seconds

With no enforcement of the speed limit, if you do stick to the 50kmph limit and everyone else is doing 80kmph or 100kmph you end up at the back of the queue at the other end of the road as traffic comes in waves from earlier traffic light junctions. As a result you get through the next junction several traffic light cycles after the wave of traffic you started onto BnaT with. It'll cost you a lot more than 54 seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

J o e wrote: »
    With no enforcement of the speed limit, if you do stick to the 50kmph limit and everyone else is doing 80kmph or 100kmph you end up at the back of the queue at the other end of the road as traffic comes in waves from earlier traffic light junctions. As a result you get through the next junction several traffic light cycles after the wave of traffic you started onto BnaT with. It'll cost you a lot more than 54 seconds!

It all comes back to enforcement at the end of the day. Why permanent speed cameras are not set up all along that road is just stupid.

jjpep wrote: »
    It all comes back to enforcement at the end of the day. Why permanent speed cameras are not set up all along that road is just stupid.

Do we have permanent speed cameras in this country? Can't think of any off the top of my head

This is exactly the "cannot let others get an edge on me" attitude I was referring to earlier, it can be hard to avoid and I am guilty of it myself from time to time.

I would have thought the flow of traffic up BnT is fairly constant at busy times with cars coming off the roundabout.

Having measured on Google, can confirm that BnT is 1.85 km from Kirwan Roundabout up to Tuam Road FWIW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I would have thought the flow of traffic up BnT is fairly constant at busy times with cars coming off the roundabout.

It does feel like a constant flow if you're within the flow of traffic but if you walk or cycle (or drive @ 50kmph) on that or other stretches of road around the city you'll realise the traffic definately comes in waves.

• Advertisement

It does feel like a constant flow if you're within the flow of traffic but if you walk or cycle (or drive @ 50kmph) on that or other stretches of road around the city you'll realise the traffic definately comes in waves.

Well yes, because of the junctions with lights. They allow for a more controlled throughput from each junction, with the Kirwan RAB being the missing link.

That should hopefully be addressed shortly, leaving only the RAB in Newcastle to be done.

I'm not aware of any plans to do so, but the next junction to undergo works at that stage should be the RAB at cemetery cross which should close off Sandy Road so as to end up with a 4 arm junction.

Once those are done, it's a possible to control the flow of the majority of vehicles through the city.

Well yes, because of the junctions with lights. They allow for a more controlled throughput from each junction, with the Kirwan RAB being the missing link.

That should hopefully be addressed shortly, leaving only the RAB in Newcastle to be done.

I'm not aware of any plans to do so, but the next junction to undergo works at that stage should be the RAB at cemetery cross which should close off Sandy Road so as to end up with a 4 arm junction.

Once those are done, it's a possible to control the flow of the majority of vehicles through the city.

Any news on the Renmore/Old Dublin Road roundabout? The one beside GMIT and the new Garda Station.

Not that I'm aware of

Do we have permanent speed cameras in this country? Can't think of any off the top of my head

We have a permanent red light camera, but we stopped following up on the red light jumpers because there was so many of them;

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/camera-that-caught-1-300-drivers-running-red-lights-now-lying-idle-g696v3fh6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

We have a permanent red light camera, but we stopped following up on the red light jumpers because there was so many of them;

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/camera-that-caught-1-300-drivers-running-red-lights-now-lying-idle-g696v3fh6

Didn't read the full article but I can't imagine a satisfactory reason for this being allowed to happen.

54 seconds
    Exactly, I was about to write exactly that given the 1.8km length any time saving by speeding 20 to 30 kmh above the current limit is exactly zero. At the cost of - breaking the law and endangering of other road and pedestrian users. Not worth it.

Yes. That roundabout is an abomination, should be either made twice the size with 5 exits or reduced to 3 or 4 exits while keeping the same size.
    I've honestly never seen anything that stupid anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

McGiver wrote: »
    Yes. That roundabout is an abomination, should be either made twice the size with 5 exits or reduced to 3 or 4 exits while keeping the same size.

It's the pits. Way too small for the traffic and number of exits

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGiver wrote: »

It is, however, the most pedestrian-friendly of all Galway's RABs. Far from the worse in my view.

• Advertisement

jjpep wrote: »
    Didn't read the full article but I can't imagine a satisfactory reason for this being allowed to happen.

In a similar vein, remember reading a while back that they had analysed the data from those digital speed signs (that display a drivers speed as they are approaching) from around Galway and they found some very big violations of speed limits - so the data to make informed decisions and targeted enforcement exists but nothing gets done. The digital sign on Lough Atalia is out of action for nearly a year now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement