Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

One way loop, two lanes. In Wellpark \ Loughatalia out Boharmore \ Tuam Road, or other way round. Easy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

thebackbar wrote: »
    Trying to get back on track here, but it seems one group of people believe that we can keep growing this city by building more roads and adding more cars, whilst another group believe that adding more cars isn't the way to go

Or another way of looking at it, one group of people who think car traffic is the other people sitting in cars around them while they sitting in a car and the other group who know that they are the car traffic when they are sitting in a car.

Trying to get back on track here, but it seems one group of people believe that we can keep growing this city by building more roads and adding more cars, whilst another group believe that adding more cars isn't the way to go

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the bypass needs to be built, full stop.

But once it's built, it should be made as undesirable as possible to want to drive into the city centre and all other forms of transport should be given priority in the following order of pedestrians, cyclists and buses.

Do that, and you'll see the city transform into a truly livable city

Anything else is just clogging the, already over capacity, streets with private car users.

I say all of this as a private car user

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the bypass needs to be built, full stop.

But once it's built, it should be made as undesirable as possible to want to drive into the city centre and all other forms of transport should be given priority in the following order of pedestrians, cyclists and buses.

Do that, and you'll see the city transform into a truly livable city

Anything else is just clogging the, already over capacity, streets with private car users.

You might be right about the bypass, but i doubt there will be any focus afterwards on moving people away from using cars.
    The city council development plan states that all large scale developments in the city should contain 30% residential space, however the development at the docks was given approval with no residential element. People will say just build the office space, but will people really want to move to Galway to spend an hour travelling in and out of work ??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who doesn't live in the inner city.

I certainly believe we need a 2nd river crossing, of the same scale as the Quin bridge. The road network is too fragile without it.

But the rest of the bypass ... nah. Reduce the demand with better public transport, and tax incentives to employers who hire people who live close to where they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Is there a reason why traffic seems particularly bad on Tuesdays, both morning and evening, in and around Parkmore/Ballybrit/Tuam Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's no ring road coming for at least a decade, so there needs to be a new traffic plan.
    Park n Ride, increased bus services with car bans in the city centre and new bike lanes.
    If these were implemented, the addition of an outer ring road in the future should see the city in good shape.

Who doesn't live in the inner city.

Does that not emphasise my point more?

If I lived in the inner city I'd have little use for a car

I certainly believe we need a 2nd river crossing, of the same scale as the Quin bridge. The road network is too fragile without it.

But the rest of the bypass ... nah.

I'm not sure that's a workable option and would do little to remove cars from the suburbs where they don't need to be

Reduce the demand with better public transport, and tax incentives to employers who hire people who live close to where they work.

I'm 100% all for better public transport, bus lanes, cycling infrastructure, etc etc etc,

The tax incentive... I'm curious if that's even possible. Take Parkmore and Ballybrit. Over 10k workers there alone and there definitely isn't that much capacity in the immediate area in terms of housing

It would likely lead to decreased mobility in the general workforce (changing jobs) which is definitely not a good idea as it would lead to reduced competitiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

How about we round up all the kids and ship them off to Tuam?

Traffic seems manageable when school is out. One mad taxi driver was saying school buses was the solution. But let's pounce on him and call him an idiot if we don't like his suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Traffic seems manageable when school is out.

A lot of parents also take their leave from work when their kids are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

I'm not sure that's a workable option and would do little to remove cars from the suburbs where they don't need to be

I'm 100% all for better public transport, bus lanes, cycling infrastructure, etc etc etc,

The tax incentive... I'm curious if that's even possible. Take Parkmore and Ballybrit. Over 10k workers there alone and there definitely isn't that much capacity in the immediate area in terms of housing

It would likely lead to decreased mobility in the general workforce (changing jobs) which is definitely not a good idea as it would lead to reduced competitiveness

some people just cant work in the city center, ie if you're working on an assembly line normally its not feasible to have those types of businesses in the city center, however for companies which are mainly "office" based they should be based in the city center imho. Cluster companies in the city center so its easy to provide transport to and from the city to these offices. For example all the software companies should be based in the city center imho. Tax breaks should be provided for building office and residential space in the city center, so that it would be crazy for a company to not consider locating itself there.

. Take Parkmore and Ballybrit. Over 10k workers there alone and there definitely isn't that much capacity in the immediate area in terms of housing

Big difference between little use and no use, though. If i could never take a car into the city centre, i wouldn't want to live there.

Having people driving in from Mayo, Roscommon, Limerick coming here to work is madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

J o e wrote: »
    A lot of parents also take their leave from work when their kids are off.

Very true

School run has to be adding to volume though in mornings and school buses could be a part solution in the city

I d have 4/5 Park and rides with bus services up and running next Sept for workers and get employers/council/NTA etc on board to back

Work very early am so travel off peak and I dont know how people stick sitting in a car it must be very frustrating

Road bypass will happen but years away and it will be full day one on i think

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

Another vote for more school buses. I take my kids 3km to school, usually by car but walk home with them about twice a week when the weather allows. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to put them on a school bus.

More school buses would have a knock on effect too - fewer cars around schools would make it safer for kids who live close to walk/cycle, so parents would be happier to let their kids travel that way, which would take yet more cars off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Park and ride is a farse of an idea when the busses are every bit as slow as the normal traffic, who want ot park up their car wait inline for a bus then sit on the bus in traffic wiht all the other cars. Proper town planning in needed to widen road and smarted up these smart junctions. under passes or bridges are needed for pedesterians. Its madness the amount of pedesterian crossing around the city and subberbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Notch000 wrote: »
    Park and ride is a farse of an idea when the busses are every bit as slow as the normal traffic, who want ot park up their car wait inline for a bus then sit on the bus in traffic wiht all the other cars. Proper town planning in needed to widen road and smarted up these smart junctions. under passes or bridges are needed for pedesterians. Its madness the amount of pedesterian crossing around the city and subberbs.

If enough people use PnR, there won't be as many cars on the road to clog it up for the buses.
    It's essential that it is well organized and priced competitively enough to make motorists want to move to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

If enough people use PnR, there won't be as many cars on the road to clog it up for the buses.
    It's essential that it is well organized and priced competitively enough to make motorists want to move to it.

Yes surely there are enough brains in city to set up something like this with c 3000 spaces Airport/and one each on parking lots eg GAA /sports carparks or college grounds on N59, N17, N84 , R339 etc . Some routes have bus lanes in part and others wide enough

Only a part of the jigsaw why not try it out .

Car /commercial transport population is growing rapidly roads are not , less space avaialble, longer delays without alternatives .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Park and ride is a farse of an idea when the busses are every bit as slow as the normal traffic, who want ot park up their car wait inline for a bus then sit on the bus in traffic wiht all the other cars. Proper town planning in needed to widen road and smarted up these smart junctions. under passes or bridges are needed for pedesterians. Its madness the amount of pedesterian crossing around the city and subberbs.

They should have bus lanes on every road and convert large parts of the inner city road network to bus only or one-way traffic with a bus lane. People will only use PandR if it's more convenient than driving. They have to dis-incentivize driving as well as improving bus facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Having people driving in from Mayo, Roscommon, Limerick coming here to work is madness.

True.
    Commuters from Ros can definitely get a bus.
    http://www.bus4u.net is a great service.

It is so common now in Ireland - it has become normalised.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    convert large parts of the inner city road network to bus only or one-way traffic with a bus lane.

Why the inner city though?

The most frequent delays on my bus journey happen on Parkmore and Doughiska Rds and occasionally on College Td (which is city-fringe).

The only delay in the actual inner city is loading time and road changes won't help that.

Its madness the amount of pedesterian crossing around the city and subberbs.
    Pure nonsense. Not many standalone crossings + the time given over for on demand "stand alone" pedeestrian crossing is tiny as a proportion of the road usage by other vehicles. A windscreen view of the world post.

Why the inner city though?

The most frequent delays on my bus journey happen on Parkmore and Doughiska Rds and occasionally on College Td (which is city-fringe).

The only delay in the actual inner city is loading time and road changes won't help that.

Because the bus goes more places than Parkmore and other people have different experiences.....

It's also about making the city more accessible by foot and most people don't need to drive into the middle of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

The amount of money that some people have invested in their car they'll never ditch it for a bus.

I'd say the majority of people are on HP or even Personal Contract Purchase.

It'll be hard to persuade them to jump on a bus and leave the shinny new car in the drive and still fork out the repayments every month for a car they hardly use.

topcat77 wrote: »
    The amount of money that some people have invested in their car they'll never ditch it for a bus.

It'll be hard to persuade them to jump on a bus and leave the shinny new car in the drive and still fork out the repayments every month for a car they hardly use.

Yup. That is an issue and it's hard to be 100% reliant on public transport. But then a lot of homes now have a car per-person instead of per-household and then the cars sit idle >90% of the time. There's also things like GoCar appearing in the city. We don't all have to own our own cars. Having access to one is surely the more important factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

topcat77 wrote: »

We should improve the public transport system to the point that when someone living in the city is due a car upgrade they may be tempted to avoid that expense and only rent when they need to go further than the daily commute. Or share a car for the non-commute trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The only place that we have room and probably the volume of people for a lluas /tram system is a park and ride at the airport into parkmore. It would ease a lot of traffic and hassle for people. A big car park at the airport with an entrance onto and off the dublin motorway and carnmore road with a dedicated high tram to parkmore.

The only place that we have room and probably the volume of people for a lluas /tram system is a park and ride at the airport into parkmore. It would ease a lot of traffic and hassle for people. A big car park at the airport with an entrance onto and off the dublin motorway and carnmore road with a dedicated high tram to parkmore.

They ran a park and ride out of the airport a while back and it was a dismal failure due to the lack of bus lanes.

What you are suggesting would be ten times cheaper and faster to do with bus and the proper bus priority lanes and lights.

Galway has zero need for light rail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

They ran a park and ride out of the airport a while back and it was a dismal failure due to the lack of bus lanes.

What you are suggesting would be ten times cheaper and faster to do with bus and the proper bus priority lanes and lights.

Galway has zero need for light rail

And that would be flying buses, right? Where would they exactly drive? In congested traffic? Light rail just goes, that's the main benefit of it. Apart from higher volume. Notwithstanding that diesel buses releasing carcinogenic crap wherever they go.

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    And that would be flying buses, right? Where would they exactly drive?

As stated, bus lanes, faster and cheaper to implement and they could be used by taxis, cyclist's and private bus companies.
    In congested traffic?

Bus lanes negate the effects of congestion. Combine them with bus priority at junctions and its a no brainer.
    Light rail just goes, that's the main benefit of it.

I'm all for light rail, I think the Luas is the best thing to happen to Dublin transport in the last 50 years.

However, building a line to go from the airport to Parkmore defies all logic. It makes no sense, either because of cost, time to implement, amount of CPO's, etc etc etc.

Essentially you want a state of the art light rail system to go 5km from a car park to a factory

Bonkers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement