Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

McGiver wrote: »
    By pedestrianised I meant exactly that. Only delivery vehicles at given times clearways etc. Have you been to Oxford? Good example of that in practice

I agree with Mrs OBumble, does not need to be pedestrianised.
    All the Buses going West and to Bothar an Choiste use it. Take out Car Parking and the Private Car traffic and it would function for people on foot, bikes and public transport.

zulutango wrote: »
    I don't know, but I would say it is indisputable that you are more vulnerable as a cyclist than as a motorist in city traffic.
    You are for sure, no real network to speak of in Galway City but still the most reliable way to get from A to B on time, any time in Galway City. Lots of small things could be done if Council had interest, but they don't. Cannot make "direct" money from people cycling.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

xckjoo wrote: »
    Statistically it's a much safe mode of transport due to a number of reasons. Lets not go off on a tangent, but you're definitely not more likely to be killed.

In city traffic? I see almost zero vulnerability to motorists in city traffic. Cyclists remain quite vulnerable. Would like to see those statistics that prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

In city traffic? I see almost zero vulnerability to motorists in city traffic. Cyclists remain quite vulnerable. Would like to see those statistics that prove otherwise.

Have a look around the cycling forum and you should find a lot of discussion or just try google. I'm not starting that discussion here.
    Admittedly factors such as the kms traveled or time traveling are probably skewing safety factors in favor of the bike but the point is that cycling has proven to be remarkably safe as a means of transport. My issue was only with the phrase "you're more likely to be killed" as that isn't true.

Have a look around the cycling forum and you should find a lot of discussion or just try google. I'm not starting that discussion here.
    Admittedly factors such as the kms traveled or time traveling are probably skewing safety factors in favor of the bike but the point is that cycling has proven to be remarkably safe as a means of transport. My issue was only with the phrase "you're more likely to be killed" as that isn't true.

That's why I added "in city traffic".

• Advertisement

Sure but I can only reply to what you've written at the time. You'll probably still find the numbers fall in favor of the bike but most of those will probably include things like effects of exercise.
    Anyway, point being that cycling a bike in Galway is not as life-threatening as your first post might have suggested. But believe me you'll doubt that some days :pac:

Your still way off, urban cycling is statistically way safer than rural cycling. Its all about the speeds. Anyhow for another thread, Cycling Forum has some discussions on this.

Is urban cycling safer that urban motoring in Galway? The point I am making is that it is not.

It's not off topic, by the way. Cycling is one of the more obvious solutions to Galway's traffic issues and therefore is relevant to this thread.

Is urban cycling safer that urban motoring in Galway? The point I am making is that it is not.
    It's not off topic, by the way. Cycling is one of the more obvious solutions to Galway's traffic issues and therefore is relevant to this thread.

I don't know have you? It depends on what you define as safe.
    The Irish Urban environment does make urban cyclists more vulnerable road users for sure. Same goes for pedestrians.
    It is the obvious solution alright to the car traffic crisis and the obesity epidemic facing the City.:D

McGiver wrote: »
    Welcome to a proper suburban sprawl with no associated infrastructure planning.

Any day now they will build that Bus Corridor along the length WDR. Only trouble will be the huge walks to get to the bus stops from the walled estates on either side of it.

• Advertisement

I don't know have you? It depends on what you define as safe.

That is true. Driving is probably more dangerous in the sense that the lifespan of drivers sitting in traffic for two hours or more each day is probably greatly reduced compared to a cyclist who braves the immediate risks to life and limb and cycles daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Statistically it's a much safe mode of transport due to a number of reasons. Lets not go off on a tangent, but you're definitely not more likely to be killed.

If it's so safe, why do ye want dedicated cucle lanes?

Serious question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Serious question.

For me it so my kid (and every one else's) would be able to get to school, their friends house etc safely.
    From a society POV if the perception is that cycling is safe than more people will do it. The more people cycle, and who enjoy the health benefits associated with that, the better for our health system.
    There of course other societal benefits, such as cleaner environment, less noise pollution etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I agree with Mrs OBumble, does not need to be pedestrianised. All the Buses going West and to Bothar an Choiste use it. Take out Car Parking and the Private Car traffic and it would function for people on foot, bikes and public transport.

Yes that's what I meant. I don't count publication transport as car traffic. Pedestrianised = public transport, pedestrians, bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

You know that’s a meaningless statement unless you provide statistics that prove your argument ?
    Otherwise I can say , “ you know in my opinion Galwegian motorists are so considerate they are more of a threat to themselves that anyone else especially cyclists in urban areas”
    Statistics are more often than not a Mobius strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Unless I'm mistaken but there isn't a bus from oranmore to parkmore is there? A solid bus lane with 10 minute services all the way from knocknacarra to parkmore, and oranmore to parkmore, could take so many cars off the road.

Only danger would be commuters from further afield ditching cars all over the estates in oranmore to get the bus into parkmore, but it would definitely help the approach to parkmore

Budawanny wrote:
    You know that’s a meaningless statement unless you provide statistics that prove your argument ? Otherwise I can say , “ you know in my opinion Galwegian motorists are so considerate they are more of a threat to themselves that anyone else especially cyclists in urban areas†Statistics are more often than not a Mobius strip.

Come off it! You don't need phd in transport related injuries to know that a cyclist in Galway City is more at risk than a motorist in Galway City. One tip of a vehicle and you're likely to be injured, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Only danger would be commuters from further afield ditching cars all over the estates in oranmore to get the bus into parkmore, but it would definitely help the approach to parkmore

Very unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless I'm mistaken but there isn't a bus from oranmore to parkmore is there? A solid bus lane with 10 minute services all the way from knocknacarra to parkmore, and oranmore to parkmore, could take so many cars off the road.

No there isn't. And if there was such a bus lane it would be an excellent idea for easing congestion in the south east eveb though it would do nothing directly for the city centre.

Actually ... maybe I would take that danger and turn it into a feature by putting a big park and ride in there with bus one set of lanes to Parkmore/Ballybrit and another to Mervue /Liosbaun and the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New housing for the Dyke Rd. That'll help traffic.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/land-development-agency-4234012-Sep2018/?amp=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I see that BE are changing the 405 in order to improve reliability....

What change are they making -

increased services? No.
    Route change? No.
    Buses leaving Eyre Square to fill in for services going missing at both terminus's? No.

The big change that they are making to this service is now the bus will leave Eyre Square 2 minutes earlier and this will solve all the problems throughout the day.:rolleyes: fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

FitzShane wrote: »
    I see that BE are changing the 405 in order to improve reliability....
    What change are they making -
    increased services? No.
    Route change? No.
    Buses leaving Eyre Square to fill in for services going missing at both terminus's? No.
    The big change that they are making to this service is now the bus will leave Eyre Square 2 minutes earlier and this will solve all the problems throughout the day.:rolleyes: fools
    13 new Double Deck Buses will also be deployed to the Galway City Network during September & October 2018 which will deliver additional capacity on all routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

zell12 wrote: »
    13 new Double Deck Buses will also be deployed to the Galway City Network during September & October 2018 which will deliver additional capacity on all routes.

That's a bit of sneaky hidden comments that makes the routes sound like they are going to improve. They're not. They have more seats available yes, but it is not in terms of extra services. the 401, 404, 409 all got extra services added to the timetable, but the 405 which is struggling massively did not. BE say that they are improving the service reliability by adding double decker buses but there is no logic to this.

We can already see the times it takes people to embark / disembark the smaller buses, so surely the times will increase now as there is a stairs involved. Now don't get me wrong, double decker buses are welcomed, but saying that they will increase the reliability of buses showing up anywhere close to what the timetable says is a absolute jokes.

Buses are not showing up for 45+ mins every day currently on the 405. Will double deckers buses stop this from happening? In my opinion, not at all. Not even close.

Serious question.

You are still very vulnerable on a bike surrounded by cars. As someone else pointed out, it's like walking. There's less chance of something going wrong, but if it does you might be facing a couple tonnes of metal hurtling with nothing but a few layers of clothing to fend it off; even though you've been obeying all laws and playing it safe (i.e you're at the mercy of other peoples stupidity). Plus the fear of injury prevents a lot of people from cycling and leaving them with no option but to drive.

And that's before you start discussing things like bikes not needing the same infrastructure as cars or not traveling at the same speeds or with the same acceleration as cars. Finally, if they were separated more, we'd all hear less moaning from both sides :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ban all private cars in town 💡

Private cars have no place in city centres. If other cities around Europe can do it and still thrive then we can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

zell12 wrote: »
    Ban all private cars in town 💡
    Not going to happen but incentives for people to not use them in city centre have to happen. Only then will you see people drop using their car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I see this all over, bus co's put double-deckers on all routes, mindless that double deckers don't suit older ppl, those with lots of or heavy shopping, ppl with mobility problems and or buggies.

I see bendy buses as a better option.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

bendy buses not suit able for galway considering the street sizes and layout

example: corner at Brown Thomas being the most obvious, existing buses have issues here all the time. Imagine two bendy buses hitting corner same time in heavy traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Bredabe wrote: »
    I see this all over, bus co's put double-deckers on all routes, mindless that double deckers don't suit older ppl, those with lots of or heavy shopping, ppl with mobility problems and or buggies.

I see bendy buses as a better option.

Very true.
    Even younger people get thrown down the aisle due the abrupt braking by some drivers.
    I know it can't be helped is some situations but sharp braking before stopping isnt completely safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement