Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

But galway also must put at the top of its priority a cctv operated traffic light system between 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm

They already have this in the GTU - dont make no difference. Too many cars at peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 25,123 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They already have this in the GTU - dont make no difference. Too many cars at peak times
    Yep.
    galway-traffic-unit.jpg

zell12 wrote: »
    Yep.
    galway-traffic-unit.jpg

And since when has it been operational @zell12 for bonus points! :D

And since when has it been operational @zell12 for bonus points! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It can't work with roundabouts mixed in with traffic lights .
    Corrib great southern roundabout....disaster
    Corrib park roundabout ....disaster
    Castlelawn heights roundabout ...disaster
    Bohermore roundabout ....disaster

• Advertisement

Corrib great southern roundabout....disaster
    Corrib park roundabout ....disaster

So shut it down until all the roundabouts have been removed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think the real problem is that, as far as traffic management is concerned, Galway thinks too small.
    I was watching a video recently about Norway's plan to link their western seaboard.
    I was ambitious engineering.
    Where bridges could not be constructed - the idea was to bore tunnels under the fjords or bays.
    Could you imagine if a similar idea was proposed for Galway Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Don't just dump it!
    Email every Cllr, except he who does not do email. Then, write to head of infrastructure in GCC asking why why why

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1,686 free car-parks.:eek:

According to Wikipedia, it has a ring-road as well as several train connections.

And don't forget to read the comments. This is the first one:
    It isn’t true however that all city center is traffic free, it is more like restricted. Pontevedra is more of a lie back city with no much business or industry, most people are either retirees, students or public servants. People who work elsewhere, complain about the complications of commuting, for example to Vigo, which is the industrial and work center of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Corrib great southern roundabout....disaster.
    Because of lights at Renmore.

Corrib park roundabout ....disaster.
    Because of lights outside Aldi

Because of THREE sets of lights between the roundabout and Tesco.

Yeah. Fair enough.

Roundabouts are not the problem. It's a mix of shocking planning and even more shocking drivers.

And don't forget to read the comments. This is the first one:
    That sounds like Galway City

Your Face wrote: »
    I think the real problem is that, as far as traffic management is concerned, Galway thinks too small.
    I was watching a video recently about Norway's plan to link their western seaboard.
    I was ambitious engineering.
    Where bridges could not be constructed - the idea was to bore tunnels under the fjords or bays.

If we find the reserves of Gas and Oil that Norway has in Galway Bay then you might get your wish of bridging and tunneling the various peninsulas along the Western Seaboard of Ireland.
    National Debt/Wealth. Everybody in Ireland on average owes 40k (in the red), everybody in Norway has on average €400,000 from the National Sovereign Wealth Fund (in the black). Over 90% of there Electiricty is Hydro. They have so much money they don't know what to do with it.

How about just following Norways Capital City? Oslo?
    https://www.thelocal.no/20180523/oslo-praised-for-car-free-city-centre-in-study

If we find the reserves of Gas and Oil that Norway has in Galway Bay then you might get your wish of bridging and tunneling the various peninsulas along the Western Seaboard of Ireland.
    National Debt/Wealth. Everybody in Ireland on average owes 40k (in the red), everybody in Norway has on average €400,000 from the National Sovereign Wealth Fund (in the black). Over 90% of there Electiricty is Hydro. They have so much money they don't know what to do with it.

How about just following Norways Capital City? Oslo?
    https://www.thelocal.no/20180523/oslo-praised-for-car-free-city-centre-in-study

I never said any of that.

I never said any of that.

You did say the following?

1,686 free car-parks.:eek:
    The full sentence was
    "
    They closed all surface car parks in the city centre and opened underground ones and others on the periphery, with 1,686 free places.
    "
    Sounds like a logical step for me.
    City Council should start with Millstreet, Newtownsmith, Cathedral, Hynes Yard and then the Dyke Rd and replace with or use existing car parking facilities on the periphery and start P&R services

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

more of a lie back city with no much business or industry, most people are either retirees, students or public servants. .... That sounds like Galway City

Are you having a laugh?

Galway is home to the largest concentration of medical device companies and supporting businesses (automation, labelling, packaging, etc) in Ireland. Granted some of them are just outside the border in the county area - but they feel like they are in the city. It also has smaller clusters of companies in other industries (gaming, marine, etc). It is very much a working city, and after the recession in the 2008/10 it recovered a lot more quickly than other areas - we started hearing about housing shortages in Doughiska not so long after EA Games opened.

Alongside the laid back unemployed/holiday vibe you see in the city-centre, it's very much a working city. That is why the traffic problems are a problem: people from the city, county and surrounding counties are travelling to work. And this is also why simplistic solutions that only consider the heart of the city centre (which most workers never go near!) won't actually address the real problems at all.

Alongside the laid back unemployed/holiday vibe you see in the city-centre, it's very much a working city. That is why the traffic problems are a problem: people from the city, county and surrounding counties are travelling to work. And this is also why simplistic solutions that only consider the heart of the city centre (which most workers never go near!) won't actually address the real problems at all.

Yes Galway City has CAR traffic problems - that will not be solved until you deal with this problem, this problem is CARs.

Yes Galway City has CAR traffic problems - that will not be solved until you deal with this problem, this problem is CARs.

Galways biggest issue is with infrastructure, not cars

Improve the infrastructure first.
    Take the roundabout at the end of the M6 for example. I was travelling from the Galway Clinic to Briarhill this morning at around 8am. The traffic jam to the M6 roundabout started 400m from the roundabout. Using my best guess, there would have been 80 cars between me and the roundabout in each lane (2 cars per 10m). It took close to 15minutes to travel the 400m
    That is not a car issue. That is a fault of the infrastructure.

No where, should it take 15 minutes for 80 cars to travel 400m
    The infrastructure needs to be improved.
    Imagine an exit from the motorway that went straight to Parkmore. That would clear a huge amount of traffic issues.

The junction at Briarhill also needs a complete overhaul. The amount of times cars are stuck on a green light because the junction is backed up.

Improve public transport by all means, that will help, but what Galway mainly needs is improved infrastructure. You're never going to win by just blaming cars. Unless we have a reliable subway system, with trains coming along every 3 or 4 minutes, people are not going to live their lives around timetables.

Improve the infrastructure first. Take the roundabout at the end of the M6 for example. ....
    More space for more cars then?
    Imagine all those car occupants on buses instead.
    Bottom line is the volume of cars in Galway is too much.

• Advertisement

Improve the infrastructure first.
    Take the roundabout at the end of the M6 for example. I was travelling from the Galway Clinic to Briarhill this morning at around 8am. The traffic jam to the M6 roundabout started 400m from the roundabout. Using my best guess, there would have been 80 cars between me and the roundabout in each lane (2 cars per 10m). It took close to 15minutes to travel the 400m
    That is not a car issue. That is a fault of the infrastructure.

Thanks , you have just reiterated the point I was making. You are just using a very inefficient mode of transport here. Look at the space you are taking up?
    "80 cars between me and the roundabout in each lane (2 cars per 10m)"
    Thats ONE full Double Decker bus if they are all single occupancy cars.

zell12 wrote: »
    More space for more cars then?
    Imagine all those car occupants on buses instead.
    Bottom line is the volume of cars in Galway is too much.

All those car occupants who dont live nextdoor to bus stops?
    All those car occupants who want to go somewhere that the bus doesn't go?
    All those car occupants who need to be somewhere at a time that doesn't match time tables?
    All those car occupants who need the flexibility to run errands during their lunch breaks?
    All those car occupants who would rather not stand on a cramped bus?
    All those car occupants ....?

You get the picture

All those car occupants who dont live nextdoor to bus stops?
    All those car occupants who want to go somewhere that the bus doesn't go?
    All those car occupants who need to be somewhere at a time that doesn't match time tables?
    All those car occupants who need the flexibility to run errands during their lunch breaks?
    All those car occupants who would rather not stand on a cramped bus?
    All those car occupants ....?

You get the picture

No picture attached?:D

Thanks , you have just reiterated the point I was making. You are just using a very inefficient mode of transport here. Look at the space you are taking up?

Thats ONE full Double Decker bus if they are all single occupancy cars.

How long would that double decker need to collect all 80 passengers?
    How long would it need to drop them all where they want to be?
    Would it collect me at lunch time and bring me where I want to eat my lunch?
    Would it hold my golf clubs for me so I can go out after work?
    Will it mind my gym bag for me so I can use the gym?

You have your agenda. That's fine by me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    My opinion is coming from someone who cycled in Galway for years
    Someone who used public transport in Dublin for years
    And now someone who has been driving in Galway for years.

They all have their merits, and they all have their faults.

How long would that double decker need to collect all 80 passengers?
    How long would it need to drop them all where they want to be?
    Would it collect me at lunch time and bring me where I want to eat my lunch?
    Would it hold my golf clubs for me so I can go out after work?
    Will it mind my gym bag for me so I can use the gym?

You have your agenda. That's fine by me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    My opinion is coming from someone who cycled in Galway for years
    Someone who used public transport in Dublin for years
    And now someone who has been driving in Galway for years.

They all have their merits, and they all have their faults.

"Me oh my you make me cry...."
    Everybody has an agenda, as do you. This is boards.ie :D

"Me oh my you make me cry...."
    Everybody has an agenda, as do you. This is boards.ie :D

So your rebuttal is a smiley face. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The population is so spread out because we built infrastructure for cars and that enabled this dispersed kind of settlement. That's what car infrastructure does. It's brain dead infrastructure from a planning & economic point of view because more roads gives you more cars which require more roads ad nauseum. The only fix is to stop building roads for cars and even start removing them.

So your rebuttal is a smiley face. Fair play

There was no Crying and Laughing face..... :rolleyes:

Rebuttal?
    Well you want to drive everywhere, and then start complaining because you are the car traffic? Next time your stuck in the Car traffic, just say to yourself as do I on rare occasions.
    "I am the Car traffic."
    "I am the Car traffic."
    "I am the Car traffic."
    "I am the Car traffic."
    Taking ownership of it helps.

Cars have plenty of infrastructure in the City.
    Just compare with the space given other modes.
    Cars are just very ineffective at using that space.

No picture attached?:D

This would be the €700,000,000.00 picture/graphic I would have used if I thought it was money well spent.

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/GCOB-SK-D-751_Proposed-Road-Development_1_5000-Scale_OS-Map_RevI9_02-May-2018.pdf

• Advertisement

You did say the following?

The word "similar" is confusing you there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement